cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G phone with a 5G PM plan?

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Anyone know if it is possible to use a 4G phone with a 5G PM plan?

I do not want any surprises. I just want to make sure that my 4G capable iPhone SE original (2016) can still work on a 5G plan.

I know I will not get 5G speeds until I upgrade the phone. I would like to get a 5G plan for now and upgrade my phone to 5G later.

9 REPLIES 9

I just got a reply from a PM CS Agent and they confirm it will work. I just needed to be sure. I have seen stranger things.

I appreciate your replies bu I need to know if anyone has tried it. Why? Because I want to make sure PM is not blocking people without a 5G capable phone from using a 5G plan. Why? Because strangely, PM has 2 plans at $34... one for 30GB @ 4G and one for 40GB @ 5GB with unlimited 250MB bandwidth. That is odd and makes we wonder if there are any limitations. Otherwise, why would they offer 2 different plans at the same price?

@pm-smayer97  Sorry , but yes it will still work fine . And you will still get better speeds then the 4G100mbs plan being on 5G plan with phone set to 4G/LTE . 4GLTE is capable of 1GBps 4G plans when they first came out where faster then what they are today carriers started to cap their speeds 

But I am not asking about a 5G capable phone on 3G plan. It is the opposite. That is why I want to make sure.

@pm-smayer97  Yes even somone on 3G plan can still access the 5G network of the phone supports 5G and be throttled to 3G speed 

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Just to be sure, has anyone actually done this?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97  Yes it will work no problem and you will get faster speeds then 100mbs of a 4G plan with phone set to LTE 

GK1969
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It will work fine.

Emeraldragon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You wont get full 5G speeds, but you can sign up for the plan and use the data you pay for just fine. Lots of people here have done just that. Your speeds might even be better than they are now, as many 4G phones are capable of speeds above 100Mbps; Public will give you the fastest speeds your 4G phone can support that Bell's and/or Telus's network can support in your area.

Need Help? Let's chat.