cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Data speed

Dantorstol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently upgraded to the 4G service but the speed still feels like 3G service. Any insight into this?

10 REPLIES 10

cgzhao

good idea, I am on 3g the cheap plan. thanks

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cgzhao 

Do you have a "3G" plan or a "4G" plan? A speedtest with a "4G" plan is more of a concern than a "3G" plan depending on how many GB are included in your plan data alottment. If I do conduct a speedtest I usually use ookla....and it will use on average between 30mb and 40mb on a "3G" plan (4G LTE throttled to 3mbps) so a speedtest using a "4G" plan will use about 30× as much data if you are getting up to 100mbps data speeds. If you are really curious then wait until day 30 of your cycle when you may have extra data left in your plan that you would likely not use before renewal. Just ensure you conduct any speedtests before midnight eastern when your plan data counter resets. Additionally as I once was advised by @gpixel  you can start the speedtest to see the peak of the data speed and then stop the test before it completes to conserve the amount of data used in the test.

cgzhao

thanks i better save my data lol

@softech wrote:

@cgzhao wrote:

Just curious how to test the speed?

@cgzhao  try this one, this is good

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Customers should know that the above app can use hundreds of megabytes (or sometmes more than a gigabyte) of data within seconds.  The faster the speeds, the more data this test uses.

@cgzhao wrote:

@cgzhao  try this one, this is good

https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Simple @cgzhao 

Google "speed test"

Click "Test"  or "Run Speed Test"

Bear in mind, though, doing this will consume 50-100 mb of your plan data.   Also make sure you're not in a Wi-Fi area when doing to get a true data speed.   Best to toggle Wi-Fi off.

cgzhao

cgzhao

@Dantorstol wrote:

I recently upgraded to the 4G service but the speed still feels like 3G service. Any insight into this?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Dantorstol @It can take 48 hours before you you see the full speed of  4G

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Dantorstol   has it been 48 hours since you upgrade the plan? it takes 48 hours for the new speed to come

Also, check your Preferred network type, make sure Automatic or 4G/LTE is selected.  And does the phone shows 4G  or LTE on top?

Need Help? Let's chat.