cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

@Watoko Freedom still sucks. Spotty coverage, poor data speeds.

Just as an FYI for anyone looking to switch, FREEDOM HAS SECRET PLANS too! Don't get suckered into the plans listed on website. Just sayin, do your research and.... Cat Wink

@Watokowrote:

@RyanRFwrote:

Before we all jump ship, we should wait a few days to see if other carriers offer similar plans to entice us over. 

I'll go to any company (except Freedom) offering a similar deal.

Why not Freedom? I am curious as that is one that I am looking into. Never been a Freedom customer, only Koodo and PM.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is the problem with prepaid plans. There's nothing to guard you from price increases like what a contract would have done... You just have to place faith in the carrier, and look what PM ends up doing...

che
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

wow... this is too much.. I have 3 lines with PM with this plan.. "No surprises" they said.. what a surprise!

ute1978

@sbreakinwrote:

I wonder if Jeremy who as I recall moved to Koodo had a sense of this fairly significant change. 

You can bet on that.

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow...just...wow...

Does this include the promo they had for Freedom customers?

I went over to the Koodo 10GB $60 plan.  My 12GB/90Days was a little difficult to do. I've did about 7.5GB in my first full month with Koodo.  

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing I jumped. It seems that PM doesn't want to keep their customers if their doing price increases like this, then telling people that Koodo has a better price. 

@lindseyc WOW

That is awful

1- Need to go on contract + pay monthly Tab fees? What about people who will not qualify for postpaid credit check?

2- $7 for 100MB in overages is just plain laughable

@lindseycwrote:

So out of curiosity I checked out the Koobo offer.

$40 / Month
+ applicable monthly tab charge

Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes

Unlimited messaging (text & picture)

Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling

Additional data $7/100 MB
Sweet deal!
This offer includes:

This is in the fine print:

Offer details

CalvinW

@kav2001c Yeah, it's funny how PM was the one that started the Fall promo and Fido just followed suit. PM is getting so greedy 

sbreakin

Just realized.

This must be some record.  

25 pages of comments in 2 hours?  

Happydude666

This is complete BS. One of the primary reasons I signed up with PM is due to their promise that prices will never change. That was part of their own terms, on their own website.

I have submitted a complaint with CCTS incuding a screenshot of the terms and a screenshot of the text message. 

I highly recommend everyone to submit a complaint as well.

public terms.png

sbreakin

I wonder if Jeremy who as I recall moved to Koodo had a sense of this fairly significant change. 

I am still shocked at the huge increase.

Initially, the old legacy folks are encouraged to move and that made sense as PM had to maintain a call center for fewer & fewer customers. 

But this $30/ 90day increase is actually way more than 25% as most customers would also have auto pay & loyalty credits. A >25% increase in little over a year (i was in the fall -Nov 2016 deal) is pretty ridiculous. 

I'm not even sure how it could be justified in a business sense as I thought PM was online forum only to save costs & offer better deals. 

No call center, no discounted phones, no Kiosks, even modes of online communication has decreased.

MODs have been great & in no way feel annoyed at them, they do a great job.  But most telecom's have other channels of communication & features.

I've been quite happy with the PM. No issues once port was corrected.

From a business perspective, this would be a good time for Shaw/ Freedom to offer something.  I was very happy with Koodo & they offer phone discounts.

I will check out other PM plans as don't use anywhere near my data (likely 2G/90d) but could see more over time with streaming radio etc.  That way could keep loyalty & auto pay. 

Kind of bummed at this point so not sure i'd be as enthusiastic to contribute in forums as much.

Shutdown

No news post on this and it seems to me that only freedom seems to honour life time promotions since other guys like fido jacked up their plan first. I thought PM wouldn't do it since it's online service only so has less overhead cost but seems I was wrong. Does PM at least refund us our remaining days if we switch to koodo?

Yeah how odd is this

Fido increases $40 plan to $45

Public increases $40 plan to $50

???

@CalvinWwrote:

I saw this coming when Fido increased their Fall promo plans to $45, but I wouldn't have ever guessed that PM would increase it by $10 each month. The end is near, looks like Telus is going to axe PM very soon 

@Wolfcore remember though Shaw just took over

They are even worse than Telus for price increases as I am sure the people out west can vouch for

@Wolfcorewrote:

Surprisingly enough, I have a friend who is still on the unlimited data plan from years ago, something like unlimited talk/text/data for $30, but don't quote me on that. Looks like freedom honours their offers, unlike telus, at least in this case.

Phaelen

Yep sounds like a pretty underhanded move to me.  Although, I'm trying to believe they were not intenionally being underhanded and this was sent to all Public Mobile accounts and mine just happen to have renewed two days ago. 

CalvinW

I saw this coming when Fido increased their Fall promo plans to $45, but I wouldn't have ever guessed that PM would increase it by $10 each month. The end is near, looks like Telus is going to axe PM very soon 

Goinfishn

That's some nerve you have there to pull this stunt PM. I'll completely get off your network and anyone associated with you and gladly pay more to someone else after this stunt.

I totally get everyone's anger as I am mad as well.  The thing we must remember is to not bad mouth PM but if you are going to this would be a TELUS decision not PM.  If we want to hurt or get back at them (TELUS) don't take the offer and take your business elsewhere.  Going to Koodo is all a part of their plan on this.  Show them your anger with your wallet and take your business elsewhere if that is what you must do.  I have a decision to make as well on what to do.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

viviantung92

so how many minutes are we getting with this koodo plan? it is saying unlimited but not really unlimited...

ute1978

@Phaelenwrote:

What annoys me is that the offer came out the text message  3 days after the plan on two accounts renewed for 90. 

Intention. Like "Let's pocket the few millions and then screw the members..."

henrylum

The "reward" for loyalty is a $10/month increase. Very disappointed.

One feature I really like PM is US roaming. Moving to Koodo means really expensive daily rates even though you get to use the existing data limits.

wthtelus

I will not be signing up with Koodoo or Telus. I will move carriers once my current 90 days are finished.

Telus and ALL of its subsidaries just moved to my 'Do Not Do Business With' list. 

JT16

I did, they honored that deal till the day I switched to this trash company. Welp lesson learned. I'll make sure everyone knows how garbage Telus brands are.

pakmode

For all who are interested - I just submitted a complaint to the CCTS online. 

It is VERY easy and only takes 7 minutes max.

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

RCUELLO

It is my nature. I will leave Telus ecosystem even if I have to pay a bit more just to show my discontent.

MF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@lexcyn since you signed up with koodo for the public mobile "deal" what are the details of the plan? Are the minutes anytime Canada wide?

Wolfcore

@RyanRFwrote:

Back when they were Wind, I tried buying their unlimited mobile internet plan. 

After 3 days of no service (in Toronto) and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with (long story) I swore them off for good and will tell anyone that wants to listen not to go with them.

Surprisingly enough, I have a friend who is still on the unlimited data plan from years ago, something like unlimited talk/text/data for $30, but don't quote me on that. Looks like freedom honours their offers, unlike telus, at least in this case.

Phaelen

I don't have an issue with the price increase as it happens although a bit annoyed as this is typically not a Telus practice.  What annoys me is that the offer came out the text message  3 days after the plan on two accounts renewed for 90.  I think they should be handling this better with providing the offer to switch at least until your prepaid period is done.

RyanRF

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@RyanRFwrote:

Before we all jump ship, we should wait a few days to see if other carriers offer similar plans to entice us over. 

I'll go to any company (except Freedom) offering a similar deal.

Freedom's network actually improved a lot, they just need their low frequency towers up.

They could get great coverage but the customer service I receieved while with them when they were Wind was the worst I've ever dealt with.  It was like they wanted me to leave (which I did).

freedom would honor their legacy plan since day one.  Alot better ethic than PM's tactic.  

Pretty sure many jump over from their old plan, now public mobile increase their rate so quickly.  So they must be upset, feel cheated. 

Nebula
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I wake up to a text saying that my plan is increasing. Fine.

But then the 'promo' that gets offered as compensation expires March 20!?

My plan just renewed in Feb. Also I got charged EXTRA due a glitch in the system and now I have a positive account balance. Do I lose that too? 

That is really really underhanded. 

Either give me an extension on the 'promo' or refund me my money.

Need Help? Let's chat.