cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

absolut

I got the text and I'm pretty annoyed. I just paid Public mobile for 90 days 3 days ago. Why doesn't the rate increase start at the next renewal date? Why is the Koodo promo valid for such a short period of time? What's to stop Koodo from increasing their rates by $10 if we do switch?

mike390
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

WOW... Just recieved a call from a Koodo store in my area asking me if im going to switch over soon. Are you **bleep**ing serious?! Way to piss people off even more. Id rather pay more with anyone else than any Telus owned company at this point.

PM should be  grandfathering plans instead of forcing customers to move to its sister company or suffer a 30% price hike.  Im submitting a complaint to the CCTS and anyone else who feels ripped off should do so as well:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/

YouYguys  youare crazy if youyou th I'm going move to koodo. I'll never deal with any Telus owned company again. You guys just got a world of bad PR and are going to lose alot of loyal customers. All because of $10 lol...

EDIT:

This is a also a violation of the Competition Act, bait and switch advertising

Fill out this form
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5

EDIT:

It's also insult to injury that PM waited until now to tell us. They know roughly most people signed up in November for the $40/4gb plan, so they also know that by telling us now that most of us have just renewed another 3 months very recently. They are hoping that we will all take a loss.  The $100 credit doesn't cover this because a koodo sim is $15, koodos plan is technically $3 more per month (since we lose our auto pay credit).

Proof of PM promising rates wont change (thanks @yo 😞

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Ive also saved the above link as a PDF to use as proof to backup my complaint, I suggest you guys do so as well. It will most likely be deleted....

If any of you do leave, I advise trying to get a chargeback fro myour credit card. By forcing you to switch early they are screwing you out of months. They say it's your choice, but it's really not because they are giving you us limited time offer, **bleep** that.

Also if you want to see a change, post threads about this on Reddit, mobilesyrup etc. 

Here's a good Reddit thread to upvote/comment on

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/7xszqt/public_mobile_increasing_404gb_data_plan_by_10/

@Boltwrote:

just paid for the next 3 months, are you going to refund the rest ?

No. You will get a $100 credit from Koodo when you jump ships. So, if you wait until ~ Mar 5 you should break even.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just yesterday I highly praised Public Mobile about only having positive experience. And we warmly welcomed new members into our family. Oh my.... how bad I feel for doing that. I feel like a traitor.

But it surely looks like Public Mobile is going to intentionally shut down..... because they will lose a huge amount of members as the $120/90 promo had the biggest influx.

RCUELLO

I regret not switching to FIDO 10GB plan for $60 a month ago. 

longhim

Seriously, what's the excuse here? Legacy/pioneers were fed lines about how they need to reduce call centers for economy of scale.

The 120/40/3mo plans are all online. Where's my token explanation? Mods are being wonderfully quiet for a 12-page thread.

EDIT: 17-page now, it seems. I'll give leeway for the thread growing quickly, but that says a lot about how upset your active forum members are. The same ones who enable you to not have a call center, by the way.

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@anaikwrote:

@smp99wrote:

Looking at Zoomer $36 ???

Which offer is that? Link please?

It's an undisclosed deal. You have to go to Zoomer's website, chat them for it.

Plan is $36 for 2GB/400mins/EW, 2 year contract with a free LG G4 or Galaxy J3. Also  $25 referral credit is available.

sonician
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Lucky Mobile is only available in Ontario, Alberta and BC.

BEST

This is a scam increasing my price and forcing to convert to Koodo. I will be losing referral discounts and 2 years of loyality discounts. 40% increase in price.

curiousperuser

Can anyone confirm that details of Koodo's Canada Wide Calling?

Is it only an evening weekends offer?

I primarily use my phone for local calling during weekdays - so it seems like switching to Koodo won't work well for me?

@TaintedxxBright thats not true

If you decide not to continue with Public / Koodo you now have 89 days to use service then port to the new carrier

I know Rogers/Fido are offering special migration plans and Bell just launched Lucky so

Lots of choice out there

Even Freedom has a Lunar New Year special for Asian long distance calling & heavy discount on iPhone 8

Zy

a call centre 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@staticcorywrote:

Definitely a very shady business move, and definitely grounds for a complaint. When I signed up, that was one of the selling points, the fact that i'd get to keep this plan as long as I was an active customer. This is a 25% increase, this is ridiculous. Definitely makes me want to move away from the telus network altogether, especially if they are going to pull stunts like this.

Unfortunately in our world of wireless, there is no such thing as grandfathered plans anymore. All the Big 3 carriers will do this, but what is different about this price increase was that the magnitude of people affected is substantial given the popularity of this promo plan.

@pw1234wrote:

The proper response is to leave the Telus family altogether! 

All feel that way, BUT best go to whoever has the best deal for your needs, and expect to be moving very year or two. 

charlize9

Yeah, I appreciate the $100 credit to offset the fact my pre-payment just went through, but losing my pre-paid add-on Intl Long-distance minutes stings; not to mention $15 for a SIM card.

What are the advantages with Koodo anyway?

TaintedxxBright

So my plan just renewed Feb 15th and now if I don't switch to Koodo I will be out 80 bucks! This is utter bull**bleep**. I'm so **bleep**ing pissed at PM! I won't be going to Koodo or anyone in the Telus family. I'm gonna bad mouth this company all over the internet and to anyone I can. I will be looking for another provider before my next payment in May. See ya. Assholes.

@ryanmobile I think you are refering to a postpaid line under key contract terms

Prepay service is 30 days (well 90 in Public case) with no guaranteed

@ryanmobilewrote:

Where does it say its valid long as you dont change the plan. That would help with the complaining to CRTC and then they are in **bleep**.

ryanmobile

Where does it say its valid long as you dont change the plan. That would help with the complaining to CRTC and then they are in **bleep**.

sonician

Not that I expect them to do anything (since Public Mobile legally did what they had to do..), but I've filed a CCTS complaint about this, and I encourage others to do so as well.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

@chosen1_88 The $90 1 GB plan looks safe to me. In any case, you could do as I did and move to the 3G data plan of 1.5 GB/90 days; still $90. The others are a tougher decision, especially as the new price point of $150 is still better than PM's current $150 offer (9 GB).

MF

I just got the notice and I am fuming. I have been with Public Mobile for almost 4 years. Not only do I lose all my add ons and 2 months of service, I lose my rewards as well. That's going to add up to more than the $100.00 credit.

And what about credit checks at Koodo? That is another issue for me. 

After being promised that our rates would not go up as long as we continued to make regular payments, I feel really like I've been had. Why did they sell us false promises and lies? 

Is there anything we can do about this, or do we just have to accept whatever scraps we are being offered?

@Luddite I saw someone mention this also effects the $120 for 6GB plans? True?

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Definitely a very shady business move, and definitely grounds for a complaint. When I signed up, that was one of the selling points, the fact that i'd get to keep this plan as long as I was an active customer. This is a 25% increase, this is ridiculous. Definitely makes me want to move away from the telus network altogether, especially if they are going to pull stunts like this.

Honestly?

If I was going to Koodo? Loophole

@Tammerwrote:

Anyone have other good options to share?

anaik

@smp99wrote:

Looking at Zoomer $36 ???

Which offer is that? Link please?

Lost potential income is not the same as lost income

@zoomzoom87wrote:

Because telus is losing money from pm  

superdeanio

PM responses regarding refunds:

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, if you do port out, all funds, plans and add-ons are deleted and as a prepaid service, we don't offer refunds. Koodo will provide a one time 100$ bill credit once you switch over to cover the cost of the lost plan.

F'n lame.

MasterOogway

this is pretty brutal. Good thing I didn't refer a lot of people. But the people that I reffered will probably be mad at me now. I hate how they just increased by 10 dollars a month all in one go. No soft approach so I can tell people...They introduce this after I already renewed my plan too.... Right now it says amount due in may 9th is 120. If I pay the 120 now do I extend this deal by another 3 months?

cherryapron

I have to say I'm disappointed. My payment just went through a week ago.

In fact, it seems that this message came out right after a lot of the Fall promo customers' payments were sent. Funny coincidence Smiley Happy

I'll be honest I probably am going to port out now

I actually had 1 too many phone lines in my home and my main reason to keep this one was the great pricing

I usually paid $20 to $25 per month for an avg of 4GB data

But +$10 makes it $30 to $35, and I am sure I would lose most of my referals

At $45ish I already have better pricing on other accounts (incl 1 on Telus proper)

Need Help? Let's chat.