cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G but LTE with PM.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I understand that Public Mobile uses LTE but at 3G speeds.

Because Telus and Bell share the same towers, do Lucky and Virgin have 3G speeds on the LTE network too?

From my understanding, from a couple years back, Rogers actually still uses 3G with Chatr. Is this still correct?

19 REPLIES 19

@softech- Yes: Don't -

Post anything that violates copyright laws. Please, be respectful of what others have created.

That respect is the part about giving credit. Or even just a link. And it includes stuff here like with your images. At least give it a nod that a piece of work came from someone else. Another user here with a similar writing style seems to like using others' images without giving credit. Not cool.

Are we all going to be perfect little scholastic citers? No. It was just that this instance caught my eye due to knowing the writing style of the user and the text that they put in their post was rather startlingly different. So clearly it must have come from somewhere else.

Since all the posts here belongs to Telus/PM and they have some responsibility, it is probably to Telus' interest not to see post with direct copy and paste here

@computergeek541- Sure. I'm just saying it's the marketing from the companies. Not anyone's opinion or expectation. We can all speculate how it will all unfold. But the companies will sell it.

Or take up the argument with the writers that originally wrote the articles that the user copied. 🙂

Adding - @softech - yes I found those too. The user directly copied the content without alteration and then didn't give it credit or link to it. The last sentence is theirs.

@dust2dust wrote:

@computergeek541- In observing the writing style of the user in the past I was taken aback by the clean writing of the first 2 parts. I looked it up. They're copied content from one or two sites (which were generic copies themselves as many of these sites do). The last sentence appears to be theirs.

The higher quality is what the providers are trying to market, sell, spin. Not necessarily that users opinion.

Can VoLTE provide higher quality?  Yes

Will VoLTE provide higher quality?  That would depend on how it each specific carrier implements it, but the call being on the LTE network as the only varying factor isn't going to do anything for auidio quality.

@computergeek541- In observing the writing style of the user in the past I was taken aback by the clean writing of the first 2 parts. I looked it up. They're copied content from one or two sites (which were generic copies themselves as many of these sites do). Without credit or a link... The last sentence appears to be theirs.

The higher quality is what the providers are trying to market, sell, spin. Not necessarily that users opinion.

@TMS wrote:

Because Telus and Bell share the same towers, do Lucky and Virgin have 3G speeds on the LTE network too?

Virgin Mobile (Canada) also offers plans that include faster LTE speeds.

@Remember wrote:

@TMS 

VoLTE calls are voice calls made over the 4G LTE network. They have superior audio quality to regular phone calls made over the standard voice network.

Is VoLTE necessary?
When available on your carrier's network, VoLTE results in improved call quality and reliability. Soon, however, it will be a necessity and not an option, as the national carriers get rid of their non-LTE networks.

PM use 3G LTE network but no matter what it's the number all works fine.

VoLTE itself doesn't necessarily make the calls any higher quality. VoLTE only means voice services on an LTE network and nothing else. It says nothing about the quality.  The Public Mobile 3g/HSPA network is capable fo HD Voice for phone calls, and I very much doubt that many people could tell the difference even if a slightly higher quality CODEC was used on the LTE network.

By a "3G LTE network" i, but I asume that you meant to say that the LTE network is used no matter what. That isn't true.  Customers can purposely choose to only use the 3g network, there could be no LTE service in a certain area, there could be an LTE service outage, or the customer could even have a phone that doesn't support LTE.

@will13am that guy from Inside Towers copied a lot of his material from my network sharing post!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Thanks for fully explaining to @TMS what "3G" means in regards to data and how Public Mobile uses the 3G network for voice calls. The previous post obviously we're not clear and in the description and needed clarification.

@TMS 

Do you fully understand what VoLTE is now? Or do you need further clarification?

HI @TMS 

VoLTE , voice will be using LTE network and no longer needs 3G.   We will need VoLTE eventually as 3G will be shut down at some point.  Right now, it is scheduled to be end of 2025

Remember

@TMS 

VoLTE calls are voice calls made over the 4G LTE network. They have superior audio quality to regular phone calls made over the standard voice network.

Is VoLTE necessary?
When available on your carrier's network, VoLTE results in improved call quality and reliability. Soon, however, it will be a necessity and not an option, as the national carriers get rid of their non-LTE networks.

PM use 3G LTE network but no matter what it's the number all works fine.

TMS

@hTideGnow 

What is VoLTE? Is it just calls on the LTE network?

TMS

All 3 (PM, Lucky, Chatr) use 3G for voice calls.

Now, do all 3 use the LTE part of their network for Data (with 3G speeds)?

HI @TMS   Yes, they all use LTE network but with reduced speed for data

voice for all of them still on 3G network.  Eventually, we will be using VoLTE for voice, but no one know when.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TMS 

Yes. But all three use the 3G network for voice calls. But one could argue that despite throttling latency has actually worsened on the 4G LTE network due to increased network traffic and 5G piggybacking on the 4G LTE network until new spectrum is opened up for the 5G network to work independently.

TMS

Excuse me for the lack of terminology on this subject.

A couple years ago, I remember people were saying Chatr were actually using 3G towers, and Public Mobile was instead using LTE, but with 3G speeds. Is this still the case?

Are Public, Chatr and Lucky all now using LTE with 3G speeds with better latency instead of old 3G with, of course, 3G speeds?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The 3G network is going to be around until 2025.  Given the pace of change, this will probably be extended by another year or two.  As for the 3G speed LTE plans, the competition also sells their version.  As for tower sharing between Telus and Bell, that should not matter much because the rest of the infrastructure is separate.  

https://insidetowers.com/cell-tower-news-wireless-network-sharing-canadian-style/

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TMS 

Yes. The term 3G when it is used to describe plans is the data speed of using data on the 4G LTE network. Other providers use the same terminology to describe what is throttling of the data on the 4G LTE network to 3mbps. You can also access mobile data with the 3G network and it is capable of getting 20+mbps data speeds but higher latency. In other words depending on network traffic your data speed may vary but on average I have found that the 3G network fairly consistently will give you 10mbps download speeds.

Need Help? Let's chat.