cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Shutting Down

allanmurr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With all the 3G networks shutting down in the USA this year, will Canada be following suit? If so, how will it affect our 3G connectivity based on our PM plans?
The 3G network shutdown will impact more than just phones - CNN

10 REPLIES 10

jyb000

I have done it manually last winter. Our normal carrier was AT&T and I would set it there manually and it would switch to T Mobile. At&T was already going down this spring. Thanks

Hi @jyb000 try manual picking T-mobile and AT&T.  Do not rely on Automatic 

jyb000

No I am in Canada but will be returning to USA October 27 for another 6 months. I noticed last winter and spring that my normal carrier that PM used was AT&T and the phone kept switching to T Mobile while my wife's Freedom phone stayed on AT&T. It makes sense now what was going on.Thanks

@jyb000- Yup. AT&T has started. T-Mobile in another month. Don't know how long it will take to fully shut down. Public will need to start offering volte and then have agreements with carriers in the states using that. It might be that they could allow roaming volte and not here but I'm not sure about that technicality.

Are you currently in the states?

jyb000

I am on the old 60.00 plan that includes voice and data in the USA. By looking at your link if correct my service T Mobile and At&T will be shutdown. These are the  2 carriers that I run on while in the US 6 months of every year. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @allanmurr  Canada supposed to shutdown the 3G network end of this year.  Yes, it is now delayed till 2025.  I hope they won't delay it any further. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@allanmurr 

Until the 3G network is shutdown in Canada our pm services will not be affected here and eventually pm will have to upgrade us to voLTE calling before that happens. Primarily the US shutdown of its 3G networks will affect pm customers using pm's 10 DAY US Roaming add ons as during decommissioning voice calls will be majority affected along with 911 eventually leading to the inability to make or recieve voice calls at all. Those with data and /or a voLTE capable phone can either use a local sim card with voLTE  or a voip provider for voice calls. Mobile data and texts are unaffected. Anyone without the ability to connect to the 4G LTE network will not have services in the US although the remaining 2G network will be decommissioned at a later date than the 3G network.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@allanmurr 

Not for another 3 years in Canada. There will be problems with charging station for EV vehicles because the stations are also on 3G.

The big 3…Telus, Bell and Rogers will have to change 3G to 4G/LTE on all their lower tier (PM, Lucky, Chatr) and mid tier (Koodo, Virgin, Fido).

Shaw Mobile is currently on 4GLTE.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @allanmurr 

it's will be sad 3G shutting down too many customer need to upgrade device,

3G sunset update for US and Canadian network carriers

i think PM will be jump to 4G.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@allanmurr   Yes, it will shutdown at some point.  For now, the words are 3G will remain in place until late 2025

For now , Telus, Rogers and Bell all have a timeline for Dec 2025.

Yes, it will affect PM. Likely PM will adopt VoLTE at some pint before 3G shutting down (our voice is still solely on 3G), unless Telus is giving up on PM and migrate us all to Koodo

Need Help? Let's chat.