cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 step verification timer too short

ucpollux
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure if anyone having issue. Since the acct is for my daughter's phone, I cannot do the SMS. As for email, it comes in last 10-15 sec of the countdown which I barely make it on time. Would be nice if someone can increase the timer from 90 sesc to say 120-180 sec. 

16 REPLIES 16

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious 

Agree.  Referrers needs to prepare their referees about how PM works.  The most important points to get across are:

1.  PM does not have call center.  All supports are provided by the members on this community.  When a issue requires access account information, member will be ask to create support ticket to get CSA help.

2.  PM system is DIY.  But you are not do it by yourself.  With the help of this community, your issue can be solved quickly.  Stay on this forum after asking a question.  You will be surprised that how quickly you will get a reply.  

3.  Explain the new points reward system to ensure what they will get.  New activations will be on the points system.

Provide on going support of their referees is an important job of the referrers.  It is a win-win for both parties.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

That is certainly the impression I got and many others along the lack of an "enter" button that is usually presented with a verification code. A few simple instructions would have gone a long way in preventing bewilderment and frustration. If public mobile is going back to its roots then they should be involving the community more with feedback announcements, beta testing and "focus groups" with the dangling of a free data add on to win like they used to once every 4 to 6 weeks. Instead they spring these kind of changes upon the community that come with a whole host of new problems on a platform we are all completely unfamiliar with...?  And a few of those who may have some insider knowledge and should at least be more present during these roll outs are mostly absent.

@popping 

Agreed. Any referral that I have actively courted gets the full customer service experience from me.

popping

@darlicious wrote:

@popping 

Thats not an option the referral does not have access to their email....like a lot of people. I accessed the account eventually. Public mobile may want tech savvy customers but they need to remember many of their current customers are not or lack internet accessibility. Thus the reason I manage the account. Next up @grumpyneighbour !!

There is a problem with the existing PM subscribers.  But the new customers activated online on and after 2022-07-11, PM is assuming that they have enough skill to activate an account online, they should be able to handle any issue with the support of this community. 

But if a referrer is doing the activation for a referee without any online know-how. the referrer should provide support service to the referee in order to keep getting the refer-a-friend credit every 30 days. 

BTW, I am providing full support service to one of my referee including using one of my email account to activate an PM account.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I just went thru getting a verification code sent by text and then texted to me to access a referral's account and nothing happened when entering the code after the timer ran out? We had to get the code resent. After 5 attempts we finally were able get the code in quick enough and relay it to verify the account. Flip phones are not the easiest to relay info quickly especially when the need to access the self serve account is to purchase the $5/500min add on.

I wouldn't know what happened that time for you, but I can say with certainty that the countdown is not for the expriy of the 2FA code.  The frst time I played around it, the code didn't arrive until after the timer ran out.  To ensure that none of this was a fluke I've went back in and deliberately wait a few minutes after the code was received.  It worked fine.

I can see why people would think that this timer is a countdown until code expiry, but it doesn't say that anywhere.  It says that that amount has to be waited until asking again for a 2FA code.   As to why there's a large countdown timer that almost appears to rush the customer to enter the code and why the it just doesn't ask you to wait longer if you ask again immediately, that I don't have an answer for.  The timer seems backwards to me, making it appear as if something bad is going to happen once the time runs out.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

Thats not an option the referral does not have access to their email....like a lot of people. I accessed the account eventually. Public mobile may want tech savvy customers but they need to remember many of their current customers are not or lack internet accessibility. Thus the reason I manage the account. Next up @grumpyneighbour !!

popping

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ucpollux wrote:

Not sure if anyone having issue. Since the acct is for my daughter's phone, I cannot do the SMS. As for email, it comes in last 10-15 sec of the countdown which I barely make it on time. Would be nice if someone can increase the timer from 90 sesc to say 120-180 sec. 

The countdown time isn't a limit for the amount of time that the code can be entered. It is only an amount of time that a customer needs to wait before asking for a code again. After the countdown timer runs out, you can still use the code that was sent to you and it will be accepted.

@computergeek541 

I just went thru getting a verification code sent by text and then texted to me to access a referral's account and nothing happened when entering the code after the timer ran out? We had to get the code resent. After 5 attempts we finally were able get the code in quick enough and relay it to verify the account. Flip phones are not the easiest to relay info quickly especially when the need to access the self serve account is to purchase the $5/500min add on.

@darlicious 

Don't use the flip phone SMS and use the email 2FA.  You have 3 more tries after the first try expires.

If you don't use smartphone, use a PC to login.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ucpollux wrote:

The countdown time isn't a limit for the amount of time that the code can be entered. It is only an amount of time that a customer needs to wait before asking for a code again. After the countdown timer runs out, you can still use the code that was sent to you and it will be accepted.

@computergeek541 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ucpollux wrote:

Not your fault, I know but, that certainly is not intuitive. They have to a better job here to make that more clear.

@Timer wrote:

@ucpollux 

use browser from computer, clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode, to be more faster

tried to get verification code by email 
and when you press the 6 digit number and not press anything
just wait a 3 second automatically be login

Doing  the above wouldn't make a text message or e-mail message come in faster.

@ucpollux wrote:

popping

@ucpollux wrote:

@ucpollux,  I had the same issue on the first day (Monday 2022-07-11).  It was 58 seconds when my 2FA email arrived.

On Tuesday, I tried again. I had 3 more tries to use the same email or SMS 2FA code if it failed the first try.  No need to ask PM server to send it again. Just try the same code again.

Pro Tip:

I always delete the 2FA email and SMS before asking the sender to send it again.  When the new email or SMS arrives, there is no confusion which is the latest.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ucpollux 

I have definitely had to work around this issue as I have several accounts that I manage some with email access and some without. A little easier to manage than all on one device is to use a second device to recieve the emailed verification code (ie. tablet to login and phone to recieve the email or vice versa) so that you save those few precious seconds to enter the code and wait 3 seconds for access. Certainly not ideal....or coordinate with your daughter to send you the texted code as soon as its recieved on her phone. Then of course....turn 2FA off once access is gained. Personally I prefer security questions and wish it was still an option.

I always used something silly to remember....Favourite high school activity? A beer and a bud! Lol...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ucpollux   Today, there definitely seems to be more of a delay with 2FA being received.  I got timed out twice and and had to get it resent.  Seems like PM is experiencing all sorts of glitches with the newly designed rollout of the self serve account.    Hopefully, all the bugs will be sorted out within the next few days, but agree this is becoming a tad frustrating.   Definitely turn off the 2FA once you get into your account, I have for now.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ucpollux...

You can opt to disable that, if you want.

Just log in to your account / My Profile ...then toggle off the two-factor authentication.

Then you'll only need your regular log in credentials every time you log in.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@ucpollux 

use browser from computer, clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode, to be more faster

tried to get verification code by email 
and when you press the 6 digit number and not press anything
just wait a 3 second automatically be login

Need Help? Let's chat.