cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10+ Spam Calls a Day

katiefleming
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am losing my mind...starting yesterday I have been getting at least 10+ calls a day. I answer, no one is on the other end, they just hang up. I'm in Montreal, and they're all calls from Ontario, or 226 area code, 646, 250, 343, 306. It's just non-stop.

I'm blocking each one now as they come in, but what the heck is happening??? As soon as the phone rings I reject the call, and if there's no voicemail I block it (in case it IS a legit call)

I'm already on the do not call spam list but wondering how the heck this happened. I saw someone else posting about Saskatchewan but I have been hit harder! All the provinces are getting me. What can I do? 😞

33 REPLIES 33

Totally get it, @katiefleming 

Changing my number would be the LAST ditch move and only as a desperate effort to halt these.

Just go with the avoid and don't engage tactic - it's always worked for me.   Kinda like the old school approach to bullies.  😉

katiefleming

I've had this number for nearly 7 years!! It's mineeeeee 😂🤣

@katiefleming wrote:

... I don't want to change my number, it is too much of a hassle. Let's hope they decrease over time. Thanks everyone.

Understandable. Some hassle to go through all your contacts (on and off the phone) to make sure they've all been updated with your new number. Some institutions will actually flag you as "suspicious" or "unreliable" for a while if you change things like address and phone number too often.

And, if your parents are anything like mine, you'll probably have to endure endless frustrating/humiliating lectures about how (somehow) your response to the spammer was inappropriate. It's helped ruin the world for everyone. You should've fought back (and won) like people did in earlier times when dinosaur phones roamed the Earth.

But if you haven't had the number for very long then it's probably best to change it. You might have been assigned a number which the previous owner didn't keep clean, it might be a well-known top pick on every spammer's hotlist. You might have a number which some debt collector is hounding and harassing in an effort to find someone else. You might have a number which somebody used on a burner phone. You might have a number which solicits special attentions from graffiti in public washrooms. Or maybe it used to call a popular pizza joint or taxi driver. Maybe it's been shamelessly sprayed all over social media sites.

@srlawren wrote:

@dabr wrote:

However, (IIRC) @srlawren  recently mentioned that option was also available for customers at Koodo, although I'm not sure if it's only offered to postpaid customers, or if the prepaid customers get it as well.  

@dabryou do indeed RC.  To the best of my knowledge, it's still only for post-paid; however, 7 (yes, seven) months ago, apparently Koodo said they would eventually offer it on prepaid:  https://community.koodomobile.com/prepaid-79951/call-control-on-prepaid-phone-7799047.  Take that for what it's worth, and know that Koodo prepaid shares a backend with PM, and I know you know just how quick PM is to bring new features to market..................

[..........which is "entirely un-".]

@srlawren   Thanks for confirming.  Interesting that Call Control was expected to be available for the prepaid service at Koodo, although it's not clear from your link if, in fact, that has been put into practice 7 months later.    It certainly would be a great feature for all customers, especially anyone like the OP who is getting inundated with spam calls right now.  

I have no idea if this function is costly for PM/Telus to implement or maintain, but if it's available I'm hoping that we will be able to have it here soon too.  However, I take your point on how quickly changes happen or get implemented around here, so we can expect this option, perhaps, in the far distant future, if ever!  😊

Edit:  As of 8 days ago it seems Call Control still hadn't been implemented for Koodo's prepaid service according to this message posted on their forum:   https://community.koodomobile.com/prepaid-79951/call-control-7803586

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@katiefleming :Seen lots commercials for app called robokiller, you can try download that and try their free trial then let everyone here know if that app any good.

@katiefleming  guys these days are easily discouraged...,

katiefleming

From all those different area codes?? I had a date with someone last week, and he mentioned wanting to see me again this week. I had said yes, but he never got back to me about the date. The communication just faltered between us. So I don't see how it could have been him since I hadn't rejected him.

@katiefleming wrote:

I noticed some of the numbers are repeats from yesterday because I hadn't blocked all of them. So the suckers are calling BACK. Ugh.

I could be sales calls?  I remember quiet some "duct cleaning" cold calls sometimes.. Spring time, time for duct cleaning  🙂

@gpixel wrote:

@katiefleming I have a feeling your issue has something to do with someone close to you. 

hi @katiefleming going by @gpixel 's post above, they could be from someone who used to be close to you.  Rejected suitor perhaps?  

@katiefleming I have a feeling your issue has something to do with someone close to you. 

katiefleming

I noticed some of the numbers are repeats from yesterday because I hadn't blocked all of them. So the suckers are calling BACK. Ugh.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hTideGnow wrote:

Agree.  The only way we might see this here in PM is that it becomes a $5/month add-on features. LoL

The CRTC does not permit the charging of any fee by a carrier for any telemarketing/spam call blocking feature. They must be offered to the customer at no charge if they are offered in the first place. So PM would not be permitted to charge anything to offer it here...which means it won't be offered here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr wrote:

However, (IIRC) @srlawren  recently mentioned that option was also available for customers at Koodo, although I'm not sure if it's only offered to postpaid customers, or if the prepaid customers get it as well.  

@dabr you do indeed RC.  To the best of my knowledge, it's still only for post-paid; however, 7 (yes, seven) months ago, apparently Koodo said they would eventually offer it on prepaid:  https://community.koodomobile.com/prepaid-79951/call-control-on-prepaid-phone-7799047.  Take that for what it's worth, and know that Koodo prepaid shares a backend with PM, and I know you know just how quick PM is to bring new features to market..................

[..........which is "entirely un-".]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@dabr wrote:

That would be great if there was any chance of getting that option for PM, but being that PM is the budget third tier service provider, it'll probably never likely be made available here...   

Agree.  The only way we might see this here in PM is that it becomes a $5/month add-on features. LoL

@hTideGnow   Well then perhaps, at the very least, PM should offer that option for all the Canada wide calling plans where prices are being increased by $5 (soon)...

@dabr wrote:

That would be great if there was any chance of getting that option for PM, but being that PM is the budget third tier service provider, it'll probably never likely be made available here...   

I wonder how many spam/scam/junk calls people get with 867 area code numbers.. (Yukon, NWT, Nunavut) - Many Long distance services and VoIP providers charge much more to call those territories, like 14c/min. That might be a good way to get a "quiet" number haha if it costs scammers more to call those parts of Canada. 😄

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

The best thing I've seen a phone company do to block numbers is Telus' "Call Control", where it asks the caller to press a random number that the system generates before connecting the call. That system also allows you to white-list numbers from your friends so they don't have to go through the process.

Yes that is the best. Most robodialers/telemarketers haven't figured out to press digits yet to get past a simple menu like that. This is a popular solution if you setup a DIY VoIP phone line, just add an IVR menu with 1 choice to get through for unknown/non-whitelisted caller and you instantly eliminate 99% of the chaff.... If I'm not "sure" if a caller is junk or not, a minor workaroud I can set my Public Mobile to conditionally forward on decline to my home line if I'm home, which i have setup this feature.... if the phone doesn't ring that confirms it wasn't junk as they didn't make it past the menu....

Hopefully some day that feature comes to PM so the everyone can enjoy it....

At least incoming calls are unlimited even on the $15 plan, so there's no financial impact in answering anyway...

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

The best thing I've seen a phone company do to block numbers is Telus' "Call Control", where it asks the caller to press a random number that the system generates before connecting the call. That system also allows you to white-list numbers from your friends so they don't have to go through the process.

@WoozyPolarBear    That would be great if there was any chance of getting that option for PM, but being that PM is the budget third tier service provider, it'll probably never likely be made available here...   

WoozyPolarBear

True, i don't think i suggest the blocking number method too.  They just make up numbers and likely they won't even reuse the number next time.

Also,  spammers now make up number with the same area code and first 3 digits.  If you start blocking these numbers and the list get longer.  At one point, your friend's new phone number might happen to be on that list

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

What you will find out is if you call back the number that called you, you will get connected to some random real person that has no idea their number called you in the first place.

Yep, a lot of people are still thinking Caller ID is secure and is associated with a phone line... whereas in reality with so many other 3rd party organizations interconencted to the phone network unlike the old days, many business, cloud, and internet connected phone systems, caller ID can now be made up to be say the caller wants it to say, completely independent of the phone numbers used for INCOMING calls.

The STIR/SHAKEN caller-id verification initiatives that are supposed to be in place by this summer intend to address "fake" caller ID's by passing on some verification that shows a caller ID is presenting a phone number that the caller is actually authorized to use and is linked to their DID (for incoming calls), vs unverified which could be coming from anywhere...

WoozyPolarBear

@katiefleming wrote:

Ok, I will keep ignoring and blocking! Literally as I'm typing this another one is calling!! AHHHHH. I don't want to change my number, it is too much of a hassle. Let's hope they decrease over time. Thanks everyone.

Also, my voicemail obviously picks up at some point. To them, isn't that an answer?

Blocking numbers doesn't do much of anything, other than creating a large list of blocked numbers on your phone. Most of the scammers just spoof random numbers, and each subsequent time they call, they just change the spoofed number to a different one. What you will find out is if you call back the number that called you, you will get connected to some random real person that has no idea their number called you in the first place.

WoozyPolarBear

@katiefleming wrote:

I'm already on the do not call spam list but wondering how the heck this happened. 😞

Signing up for the "Do Not Call List" is the worst thing you can do, and will result in even more spam calls. The thing is, that list can only be enforced on Canadian based companies and people. The CRTC cannot and does not have any ability to fine or charge international scammers. What happens with this National Do Not Call List is some scammer pretends they are a legitimate company within Canada and downloads the Do Not Call List from the CRTC. They then in turn use that list as a source of verified and legitimate numbers that they know exist, and hence those numbers actually get targeted even heavier. Since they are almost always from India or Nigeria, the CRTC is powerless on doing anything to them. These scammers just spoof their numbers to some random Canadian based number...or they use some burner number from a online Voip service like TextNow, Fongo, etc. 

katiefleming

They're not leaving voicemails though, and they're not answering me when I pick up. There's literally nothing on the other end of the line. As soon as I answer they just hang up. And no voicemail. It's the weirdest thing ever.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@katiefleming 

No, they want to get people who answer.   They can't sell or scam a voicemail. 🤣

My latest fave is just to answer... make sure you press 1 so their robodialer actually connects you to a human.... then say, oh hang on let me get my dad!!!... then put on mute, speakerphone and put the phone down.... though they usually hang up pretty quickly after that...

Since a lot of these calls aren't really telemarketers, Lenny won't prove too interesting to direct the calls to, but that is an option: 🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

The main priority might be to just make sure that declined calls dont result in a useless voicemail message you have to go and delete after. To prevent that, you set the conditional forward for declined and blocked calls to go to a dead-end instead of your voicemail.

To set, dial: *67*0000000000#

To undo, dial: ##67#

Now when you get a call you know is a junk call, simply decline the call and the caller will hear something to the effect of "Sorry you call did not go through" (voip.ms) or "Your call cannot be completed at this time" (SaskTel)

The idea here being the robodialers may blacklist your number due to the "not in service" response, and you get the added bonus of not having to go and delete junk voicemails after.

Alternatively, 306-545-8171 will simply tell the caller that the line is only equipped for outgoing calls:

There's also some other numbers can you send your declined calls to, for amusement when friends call too. 😉

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

Be especially careful which if your friends/coworkers you use this one on!!!!! 800-250-9562 🤣😆🤡😈

rliu1993

sad, i got 5calls a day.

@katiefleming 

No, they want to get people who answer.   They can't sell or scam a voicemail. 🤣

You can temporarily cancel calls going to voicemail.

To "disable" voicemail, dial *004*8080000000#

To reset it back to defaults, dial ##004#

@katiefleming wrote:

Ok, I will keep ignoring and blocking! Literally as I'm typing this another one is calling!! AHHHHH. I don't want to change my number, it is too much of a hassle. Let's hope they decrease over time. Thanks everyone.

Also, my voicemail obviously picks up at some point. To them, isn't that an answer?

@katiefleming    Yes, I believe you may be right that if those messages go to voicemail, they might be considered as being answered.   

I know @Nezgar  has posted some really useful info on how to redirect some of these calls so that they bypass your voicemail, except I don't remember where his post/link is right now.    Hopefully, he will respond and give you more info on that himself since I've tagged him.

katiefleming

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@katiefleming wrote:

I am losing my mind...starting yesterday I have been getting at least 10+ calls a day. I answer, no one is on the other end, they just hang up. I'm in Montreal, and they're all calls from Ontario, or 226 area code, 646, 250, 343, 306. It's just non-stop.

I'm blocking each one now as they come in, but what the heck is happening??? As soon as the phone rings I reject the call, and if there's no voicemail I block it (in case it IS a legit call)

I'm already on the do not call spam list but wondering how the heck this happened. I saw someone else posting about Saskatchewan but I have been hit harder! All the provinces are getting me. What can I do? 😞

@katiefleming - that would be very Annoying!

Ignore them, if you don't recognize them.

If they just started yesterday, hopefully this will be short-lived and stops soon.

Good luck

Need Help? Let's chat.