Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Network sharing basics

http://androidcentral.com/everything-you-need-know-about-freedom-mobile

From what I understand in Vancouver:

Bell/Telus uses 3 CA usually B2 (20mhz)+ B4 (15mhz) + B12 (5mhz) = 40mhz

Rogers uses 2 CA usually B4 (20mhz) + B12 (5mhz) = 25 mhz

Freedom uses 2 CA B66 (30mhz) = 30mhz

So @sheytoon, does that mean Freedom Mobile has a faster LTE data speed than Rogers? 30mhz vs 25mhz
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@edward203203

That's a great question, but your info about Vancouver is not entirely accurate.

• Bell has no RAN in Vancouver (except a few indoor sites), so they use Telus.
  • Telus: B2 + B4 + B29 (45 MHz) and B2 + B4 + B12 (40 MHz). Any 2-CA combination of those is possible if phone supports it.
  • Rogers: B4 + B7 (40 MHz) and B4 + B12 (25 MHz). I don't think they use B2 LTE for CA.
  • Freedom: No CA currently. B66 (15 MHz) LTE and I think DC-HSPA B4 (10 MHz).

Freedom only has 15 MHz of paired spectrum in Vancouver for B66. The confusion is how people refer to it. Industry Canada gives them 15 MHz for downlink and another 15 MHz for uplink. This is why it's paired (15 + 15), but phones will just report it as 15 MHz, not 30 MHz. Most engineers will also refer to it as a 15 MHz channel. Also, CA is only for downlink at the moment, so only the downlink part is used in CA calculations. Technically they have 30 MHz total for B66, but then technically, Rogers has 80 MHz for their B4 and B7 (20 + 20 for each band).

@sheytoon

So, how did Freedom get 180 mbps theoretical data speed? Wouldn't 15 mhz = 110 mbps?

Why does Rogers have significantly slower data speed in general compared to Bell/Telus when there is only a 5 mhz (35mbps) difference?

https://www.freedommobile.ca/my-account/support/lte

http://www.pcmag.com/article/347267/fastest-mobile-networks-canada-2016/2

@edward203203

180 Mbps is achievable with B66 + B4 CA (25 MHz), but not in Vancouver. It's only possible in markets where they have an extra 10 MHz of B4 available for LTE. They've also listed 4x4 MIMO, so it's not clear which path they are taking to achieve 180 Mbps. My guess is that no phones support 4x4 MIMO with B66 today, so even though network is capable of high speeds, realistic peak speed is 110 Mbps with no CA, or 182 Mbps with 2-CA.

Not sure why Rogers is slower, but depending on the testing methodology, Rogers might be faster or slower than Bell and Telus. It's really hard to know the reason without seeing the test data.

Re: Network sharing explained!

Hello sheytoon. I think  you're the man who have the answers for my 2 questions.

First,  I have a LTE phone with ***** BELL *****

If you go to Québec City,  you have a lot of Telus towers and a lot of Bell towers  all mixed up in the City.  My question is :  how the phone works ???   1-  Does my phone search the strongest LTE signal no matter if it's a  Telus or Bell tower.  OR  2-  I have a ***Bell*** phone and it will ALWAYS search in priority a Bell towers  (per ex,  you have a Bell signal at 75% and a Telus signal at 95%, it will go on his Bell towers ???)

My second question : (maybe the first  will answer the second) : why you will have a single tower and the both carriers Bell and Telus with the same frequencies are in the same tower ???

I'm searching the answer for a long time. Thank you very much for the answer  Bill

If you have 1 or 2 links to give to me on the subject,  thanks

Oracle

@Bill1 I have moved your topic into this existing topic. @sheytoon will gladly answer your questions when he sees it. 

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

@Bill1

In Quebec City, Telus is the RAN owner. Bell's sites are very old CDMA (2G network), which is incompatible with the modern 3G and LTE networks. Bell's CDMA network is to be decommissioned and shut down in the next year or two. There may be a handful of indoor 3G / LTE sites owned by Bell, and all of them would be shared with Telus users.

The arrangement that Bell and Telus have is technically known as Multiple Operator Core Network (MOCN). This means the Telus eNodeB (LTE tower) in Quebec City will broadcast/identify itself as Telus and Bell. Your phone has no idea who operates the site. It just sees the Bell (302-610) and Telus (302-220) network codes being broadcast, and since the Bell code matches the home network programmed in your SIM card, it tries to connect. The tower then connects you to the Bell core network for authentication. Once you're authenticated, you will receive service as allowed on your profile (phone calls, SMS, data, etc). If your phone scans all networks and doesn't find your home network, it will attempt to roam on a visited network. This can be domestic roaming (on Rogers for example), or international.

RAN_Share_model-LTE1.jpg

To answer your question, you will always attach to the strongest signal, regardless of who owns the site. If you move to an area where a Bell tower has a stronger signal, your phone will handover to that one. Again, your phone sees both Bell and Telus being broadcast, so it won't know or care who owns the site.

For question 2, the main advantage for this arrangement is cost savings for Bell and Telus. Generally speaking, Telus builds sites in BC, AB, MB, Windsor, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Gaspé. Bell builds the rest, except SK. They share all sites with each other's subscribers. In Saskatchewan, Sasktel owns the RAN, and they share it 3-way with Bell and Telus subscribers.

I have included links to all of my detailed posts here. Have a look for more info:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581

Thanks @NDesai for tagging me.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As 5G is coming, I heard carrieris would need more cell tower to fully cover a area. Would this be a disadvantage for Rogers/Fido? Since they build their own tower rather then sharing. @sheytoon

Is LTE Advanced Pro coming to Canada soon?

Thank you very much, sheytoon for your explication !  Only  my last question is not clear :  why you can see "1" single tower with both Bell and Telus in the same tower ???   (Per ex, in Laurier Station,QC, the tower has Telus  850,1900,2100  AND  Bell 1900. Why not having only one carrier ???  Thanks a lot for the answer   Bill