cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users from one family

jai2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have 4 family members and I would like to sign up for 4 individual accounts. 2 of these 4 are minors. Can I be the owner of all 4 accounts and register all 4 accounts under one email? 

I do not want to sign up for a family plan.

Also will I receive all of the perks like Autopay bonus, referral for all 4 to my buddy, etc?

Current our plans are with Telus Manitoba and we will be porting them over to Public Mobile.

What is the average time to port numbers?

Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18

Austin_YQU

When you are ready to port over, just order your SIM cards and follow the activation process on the public website. You do not need to inform your current provider unless your term of agreement(contract) is not over and your phone unlocked...

@Naepalm Account number is recommended because it seems to work best for the port-out carrier. Though there are a couple of pre-paid/voip carriers that do not create account numbers, and so require the PIN or IMEI. The other issue with IMEI, that I have seen, is a lost phone and still wishing to migrate.

Also, we have been suggesting the use of only one account related item just to reduce the potential for data entry errors.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite I am seeing that over the last few days that IME is not really being used When I switched to public I used All three LOL. To be fair I wasn't part of this community before that and was not aware you didn't need your IME#. I see now that says "use one of the following" Whoops. 😞 

I edited my previous response to remove IME# - I suppose you would use that if you have forgotten your account number.  Do you not use the IME# because most are unable to figure out how to find it? Or because it is so many digits? I have converted 4 family members and with each of them, I used the IME# Thank you for the clarification other family will be easier to switch over. 

@Naepalm FYI: IMEI is not recommended to transfer a phone number unless the account number is not available. Account number is the best of the 3  possible items. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Activate/ta-p/251824

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

One of the following:

●      Old account number

●      ESN, IMEI, MEID number

●      PIN

Plus:

●      Alternate phone number

●      First and last name of the account holder

All of the following:

●      Complete billing address

●      Alternate phone number

●      First and last name of the account holder

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@jai2, nice score Jai! If you know somebody with Public Mobile, please make sure you ask for their referral code by a private message. This way, you get a $10 credit to start off with while the other person gets a buck off. And then when you do your partner's phone, refer your code to her, so your partner gets the $10 bucks, and you get the buck. 

Welcome to the Public Mobile family, where not only will you get numerous replies to your posts, but maybe a few sarcastic ones!

@kselmak wrote:

It will be terminated automatical

Still revive your credit card from the old account just in case.

Typo alert 😊 "remove"

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@jai2  no do not inform them. The accounts need to be active and in good standing. Once the numbers are ported to here then the system will automatically inform old provider..

And yes...faster responses here then listening to elevator music 🤣

It will be terminated automatical

Still remove your credit card from the old account just in case.

jai2

WOW! Simply amazed by the great community responses. Thanks to everyone one for your clear and prompt responses. 

One thing, do I need to inform my current provider to cancel service after porting these numbers over, or they will terminate automatically? 

Looking forward to it. 🙏 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 

Sorry you will need 4 accounts

But you can use one credit card.

You need 4 emails, bit you can use one with 3 extra aliases.

If you use Gmail you can have one account for name@gnail.

The others could be name+person1@gmail , name+person2@gmail and name+person3@gmail

This way they will all go to one inbox.

For the referral

Please use only ONE for the first account.

Once your account is setup your can get your own referral from your account page.

Use it to setup the other 3 accounts you will lower your bill by $3/mnth

You all will receive $40 combined

Welcome to pm

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not check for age verification so each person can have a separate account.  PM does not offer a family plan.  You could set up one account then refer the three other users to get$1/referral and $10.  If you are porting over a cell# it usually takes 4 hours.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jai2   Just to add to what's already been said, because each account will need their own individual email, to make it easier for you to manage the accounts with minor children, you can use the same password for all to login.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 wrote:

Hello,

I have 4 family members and I would like to sign up for 4 individual accounts. 2 of these 4 are minors. Can I be the owner of all 4 accounts and register all 4 accounts under one email?  Each account must have it's own email...you can use gmail which has alias's.

I do not want to sign up for a family plan. Good because no family plan here

Also will I receive all of the perks like Autopay bonus, referral for all 4 to my buddy, etc?

Current our plans are with Telus Manitoba and we will be porting them over to Public Mobile.

What is the average time to port numbers?  Don't cancel your Telus acct's ...once porting is complete, those accounts will close.

Thank you!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jai2 , you can be the owner of as many accounts as you want.  However, there are no family plans with Public Mobile.  Each account holds one line and is managed independently.  It has it good and bad points.  Each account will earn autopay rewards if enabled.  You can use one account to refer another for the autopay reward.  Just make sure to get a referral for your first account before doing the "self referral".  Pubic Mobile is part of the Telus family and so you should experience no difference in network performance.  Number porting will take literally less than a minute to complete.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 this question was asked about 5 mins ago, you can claim your friends referral on the first phone and the next three claim on your own.

Make sure you have a SIM card from Public for all the phones then go to activate once you have done that. 

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

if you have a friend's referral make sure you have that out as well. 

Note: Do not cancel your service with your provider before doing this.

You DO NOT need to inform your current provider once the numbers are ported it will cancel immediately. (edit)

So step one is fill out your info, and choose a PIN: when choosing a PIN make sure you keep this PIN handy or save it in a password protector APP like Last Pass.

Note: You will need a different email for every account you open if you don't have that many emails go to Gmail and open up the four accounts and name them Public mobile 1,2,3 and 4 or something.  

For your cell phone: 

You will need the original account holder name from your provider:

your previous providers account number:

(edit)

For each of the phones, you will need the IME#  

To get this dial *#06# from each phone and it will show up on the screen.

The IME#

A PIN from your provider if you used one (note:I had a pin from Bell didn't input it and it still went through)

After you go through all that you will click Activate.

Make sure to sign up for autopay as well to save another $2.00 per account.

By my math when you start with Public you will save $11.00 (2.00 x 4, 1 account has $3.00 in referrals)  a month going forward and immediately save 40.00 for all the referrals. 

Glad to have you part of Public Mobile!

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 Hello yes you can oversee all four accounts if you wish and you can also use the same credit card for all four accounts if you wish this will get you an additional two dollars off for each account per 30 day cycle You will need four separate emails unfortunately it is the way public mobile works

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jai2 you can be the holder on each individual account. All accounts require their own unique emails. You can use aliases. The average time to port from a cell provider is up to 3 hours.You will receive the refer a friend on 3 of the accounts. You need another person's referral code for the first one. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe.  Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if required:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Need Help? Let's chat.