cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Public Mobile experience just got an upgrade.

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We have a big announcement to share with you! 

Starting July 13, Public Mobile is going 100% digital, with all new activations and devices taking place exclusively online. New customers can join Public Mobile on the go, from anywhere, without setting foot into a store.

To officially mark the start of a new & improved Public Mobile experience, we’re announcing two exciting new features launching today:

Browse up to 30x faster with new 4G-speed plans. 

Now, you can get up to 30x faster speeds with Public Mobile’s new 4G-speed plans, when compared to existing 3G-speed plans. These new plans provide new and existing customers with a wider range of included data and speeds to choose from, depending on their needs. 

Introducing the new My Account: A modernized, mobile-first self-serve experience.

Redesigned from the ground up, our refreshed self-serve portal provides you with easy account-management at your fingertips without the need for in-person support. Plus, it features an all new intuitive mobile-friendly design to make all account management a breeze. 

Along with these new features, as many of you know, we recently launched our new rewards program Public Points earlier this year, where you can earn and redeem rewards with ultimate flexibility. We also redesigned our Community Forum to give our customers the ability to find solutions faster, with 24/7 access to online support. 

Expect to see many more exciting enhancements as we continue on our journey of putting the power of mobility in the hands of Canadians. To celebrate these exciting launches, we will be giving new subscribers 3x the points-back for their first 12 months, for a limited time on eligible purchase, through our Public Points™ Rewards program.

Important Details:

• You will still be able to purchase SIM cards from TELUS & Koodo corporate stores. Find a store near you using our store locator.  
  • Vouchers will still be available for purchase in the same locations as before. Visit our vouchers page to access our list of voucher purchase locations.  

For more information on these exciting new changes, please visit publicmobile.ca or our FAQs on these changes. 

- Public Mobile Team

294 REPLIES 294

musicollector
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's like the nosebleed seats at Wimbledon. The ones who pay big bucks sit up at the front. 🙂 

musicollector

Yeah, but would VOLTE make that much of a difference in quality? Would it be perceptible even? Or just a nice-to-have feature?

musicollector

Well, no business can treat technophobes as second class citizens and get away with it. I know if I was one, (though I am far from it), I would resent being treated like the lowest common denominator. The meaning of true customer service is pleasing as many people as one can, providing the broadest service possible. As a Telus shareholder, this concerns me some.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The plan usage on the main page seems to have become like the usage details. Delayed.It still hasn't changed as I write this and I've been looking at this for 20 minutes.

And the refresh of the page itself is painfully slow.

The time stamps seem backwards too. It shows as 3 hours earlier than actual. If anything it could have shown 3 hours later for eastern time. Iirc it used to be at the right local time.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@tbone9 

As far as the big three go its the third provider under their umbrella that is prepaid only usually...

• Telus, koodo, public mobile
  • Bell, virgin, lucky
  • Rogers, fido, chatr

tbone9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What is tier 3?

@tbone9 none of the Tier 3 has it yet   I guess we will all have it at the same time

tbone9

You guys really need to add VOLTE already. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Wow! Big changes to public mobile that have been the source of rumours and finally confirmed thru my favourite retailer or I should say former retailer and this announcement today. While it will take awhile to go thru and note all of the changes I do want to comment on the decision to limit the sale of pm sim cards to select koodo and telus locations and online from public mobile. This is exceptionally short sighted. You can read my comments yesterday in the following linked post and throughout that thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/London-Drugs-dropped-Public-Mobile/m-p/84...

On a quick search of the store locator finding telus and koodo retail locations are limited to major cities with some regions not served at all. This is a disservice not only to new customers but current customers needing to swap sim cards to use their service. Have you been able to fix public mobile's delayed shipping issues and the inattentiveness of the CPO department shipping phones without the included sim card? Please reconsider this decision.

Store Locator results (random sampling) :

BC/GVRD:

28 results : 6/double locations (telus and koodo in the same location) in Vancouver proper....

6 results : 1×double location d/t with a 3rd one a block away and a 4th a couple of blocks from there. 2 on the west side with no locations on the east side (east of granville st or south of 16th ave.) That leaves 3/4 of Vancouver without a nearby location. I used to have 6 locations within 6 streets of me. The closest location is at least a 20 minute bike ride/drive away.

Prince George, Kamloops, Whistler : 1 location  Naniamo: 2 total (1 double location)

Prince Rupert, Port Alberni, Courtenay, Squamish, Golden, Dawson Creek, Fort St. John : 0

Alberta outside of Edmonton and Calgary :

Grande Prairie and Red Deer :1 location  Fort MacMurray : 2 total (1 double location)

Saskatchewan : Regina and Saskatoon only : several locations

Manitoba : Winnipeg only : 6 locations ( 1×triple, 1× double and 1 single location) Brandon: 0

Ontario: Well served in most major cities as well as at least 1 location in London, Guelph, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunderbay

Quebec : Well served in Montreal and Quebec City (did not check smaller cities)

New Brunswick:  Fredericton: 1×double location, Moncton: 3 total (1×double) Saint John: 1×double

Nova Scotia: Halifax only 7 total (2×double location) Antigonish, Truro: 0

Newfoundland: St. John's 1×double location  Labrador : 0

P.E.I. : 0

Canada's North : 0 no locations in the Yukon, N.W.T. or Iqualit (closest locations would be in Fort MacMurray, Grande Prairie or Prince George)  This represents an accessibility issue!!

Provinces cannot be searched by name only. Seems everyone's region is now set to Ontario...I guess the rest of Canada doesn't count because you can no longer select your region.

greythistle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It already had the option for digital purchases, there were no existing negatives for users who preferred digital; the change would only serve to punish people who have difficult or complicated life circumstances for whom cash is the only feasible option.

musicollector

There is immense value in being cheap. If Bill Gates and Warren Buffett can be cheap, hey, who are we not to be?! 🙂

musicollector

"Some customers will dislike having the retail experience removed. "

True. But as for me, I have no use for retail. I have not set foot more than once or twice a year in a bank (wasting time in a lineup) in decades. It has been completely online for me since 1996 and I ain't looking back! So, I applaud PM's migration to digital. 

@fujiyama wrote:

Announcements has been pretty quiet so it is great to see this big news. Although I don't care for the new plans cause I'm too cheap lol.

The new Account looks good, but why is Rewards not a part of it? I thought this would the perfect time to merge My Rewards with My Account...🤨

@fujiyama   can't agree more... I understand My Rewards was stand alone because the old My Account is on different server and there could be data sync issue. With both back on Telus server, there should be no more technical issue to merge them back

musicollector

I bought my SIM from CCS - I had it in my hands in 4 days!

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Announcements has been pretty quiet so it is great to see this big news. Although I don't care for the new plans cause I'm too cheap lol.

The new Account looks good, but why is Rewards not a part of it? I thought this would the perfect time to merge My Rewards with My Account...🤨

Thanks @Good1 , just made the corrections

Good1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@J_PM @softech 

I think you mean that the $15 plan does not show unlimited incoming calls. Thanks.

@softech 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM    Just noticed this announcement by refreshing the webpage to latest replies.  Really like the improved self serve site although have to wait to see  how it operates. 😊

Can we get a reason/clarification as to why one of the new 4G plans has an odd price of 25 cents added to it?

3133Alex

Samsung Galaxy A8. The screen resolution is 1080 × 2220. Firefox Browser 102.2.1

Edit: I have the navigation bar enabled. Maybe those few pixels caused the site to think the screen is larger than it is

I had to do this weird thing with scrolling with 1 finger while tapping the button because that was the only way it fit on the screen. 

Hi @3133Alex , what phone do you have?

3133Alex

The popup on the new mobile site is so large that the 'get' button is off the screen. Mobile first indeed

golfball

I disagree. Don't forget that ALL of the plans are actually 4G LTE plans, the "3G" plans just have a speed cap. The pricing seems a little much, especially for an artificial limitation. I was hoping to hear about eSIM or VoLTE. 

On the other hand, the changes in Self-Serve seem nice, especially when using it on mobile.

greythistle

Hey there, I was just a little bit confused - your update says that vouchers are still going to be available via in store purchases, but the email indicates that any purchases will be digital only? I just wanted clarification on that before making any decisions as to if I should stay or go, as I picked PM specifically because it didn't require digital purchases. Is the ability to buy vouchers in stores a temporary holdover or will that stay a continuing option?

HI @SomeFriend   sorry, the 4G plans are different plans and different price and different data limit, you will have to manually pick plan change if you want 4G plans

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SomeFriend  They'll be offering the same 3G plans alongside the new 4G LTE plans.

SomeFriend

Will existing plans be migrated for free or will you be offering new LTE plans with speeds up to 100mbps and only these plans will be able to access the higher speeds?

Jonavin

Going completely digital should mean you support eSIM. What’s less waste than no plastic sim card? 

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Now I see the oronge page introducing the new self serve portal is overlaid on my account details. I can stretch that page up and see a “Get Started” button with no way to actually push it on my iPhone. Any unused data I had is probably gone now fighting with this so I will try to deal with it later. At least I see that the old $15 3G plan seems to still exist.

nathfreder1

I noticed this as well. Not impressed.

.. and those plans with  unlimited US calling are gone too.. 

Need Help? Let's chat.