cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: New plans launching on April 23rd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective April 23rd, 2019, the following price plans are being offered.  These offers are available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$30 for 1 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 2, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$40 for 2.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 2 GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This offer is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our help article here.  

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you choose to change your plan to one of these plans on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the plan you selected even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

Why is this change being made?

The decision to introduce these rate plans was made with respect to market dynamics.

223 REPLIES 223

@Athos wrote:

I didn't know that. I'd only heard of PM about a month ago. $25 is a good deal. $30 is ok. I guess maybe they will put that promotion on again sooner or something comparable.

And if you want ot stay on top of ALL the new plans, promotions and announcements, follow the instructions here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-How-to-get-notified-of-ANY-New-Promo...

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

At least PM had notified us about the price change a week ago... I actually "downgraded" from $25 plan to $15 plan 3 days ago before renew cuz I hardly used any data or talked on the phone last month and I still can get add-ons if I need anything extra in the future... in this case I will save almost $120 a year

darkstar107
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are you kidding me? I guess we should have suspected this kind of behaviour from a company owned by Telus. Canada is stuck moving backwards while the rest of the world gets unlimited data for a fraction of the price. The CRTC is a joke for letting us get jerked around like this from the big telcos.

Santo1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Contact the CRTC

Santo1

Suddenly my service is cut off despite the fact I paid for it. NO phone customer service. I now discover that it was discontinued in March. It appears that thousands got the surprise discontinued service this morning. Now I am reading aboout a new plan etc. This company is in the communication business and it is doing a terrible job communicating with its customers.

@Athos wrote:

I didn't know that. I'd only heard of PM about a month ago. $25 is a good deal. $30 is ok. I guess maybe they will put that promotion on again sooner or something comparable.

I don't believe that most of the criticism is about the $25 to $30 price increase, but rather mainly due to the reduction of data by a full 2GB for both the $40 and $45 plans, particularly when it comes to the $40 plan, and because this was done after Chatr did the same.

Athos

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@lisa_insane wrote:

My service is also suspended, trying to get in touch with someone is a nightmare

@lisa_insane,  @francine75011 , moderator response time is 2 hours to 48+ hours *during heavier than normal request times)

And this info is helpful how?

@RobertQc wrote:

Best deals I have ever seen.

And they are still 3G, so a rare deal!

@JackQuint wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

Myself I would be quite happy to have a better priced plan than most others have. They pay more of the freight while I get the bargain! Had you started with PM just a few months ago that same plan was $30 for just 1/2GB. Then they added the 1/2GB Autopay bonus and then they chopped the price to $25. You stumbled in at the most opportune time but aren’t happy! I am.

You're paying $25/month for 1GB at 3G speeds. I'm not being personal here, but you're exactly the type of customer being targeted by this type of mediocre value proposition. 3G is a BS offering. There are no marginal costs to Telus for providing LTE data to a PM/Koodo/Telus customer. They are hoping you get disastified with 3G speed for streaming something and decide you need LTE and will pay extra for it. 

As already pointed out in this thread, another provider has 1GB LTE for $25 postpaid and 1.5GB LTE for $24 prepaid. How exactly is PM at 3G a good deal?

@JackQuint , $2 off every renewal on 30-day cycle.  $1 off per friend referral on 30-day renewal.  Community rewards given monthly for mioney off your plan, and after 1 year of loyalty, $1 per year of continuous subscription, to a max of $5 off per 39 day cycle.

im on a 90-day plan for $120, and my  next renewal will be less than 1/3 the cost of my original price.  I’ve been here since the summer of 2016.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector wrote:

Myself I would be quite happy to have a better priced plan than most others have. They pay more of the freight while I get the bargain! Had you started with PM just a few months ago that same plan was $30 for just 1/2GB. Then they added the 1/2GB Autopay bonus and then they chopped the price to $25. You stumbled in at the most opportune time but aren’t happy! I am.

You're paying $25/month for 1GB at 3G speeds. I'm not being personal here, but you're exactly the type of customer being targeted by this type of mediocre value proposition. 3G is a BS offering. There are no marginal costs to Telus for providing LTE data to a PM/Koodo/Telus customer. They are hoping you get disastified with 3G speed for streaming something and decide you need LTE and will pay extra for it. 

As already pointed out in this thread, another provider has 1GB LTE for $25 postpaid and 1.5GB LTE for $24 prepaid. How exactly is PM at 3G a good deal?

@chrism wrote:

I switched to Public Mobile because of the $25 plan.  Now less than a week after I switched over, they've increased the rate for the exact same plan by 20%.

Not really feeling too happy that I switched.

Chanah

As far as I know, they have to give you 30 days' notice if they're discontinuing your plan or raising the price.

That might be by way of forum announcement, though.

mh1983

@AE_Collector wrote:

Stay put on the plan and you can keep it most likely indefinitely though not guaranteed forever. Terry

Thank you! If I was forced to have to switch, would I know it or be warned in any way?

Pizzaeh

@chrism wrote:

I switched to Public Mobile because of the $25 plan.  Now less than a week after I switched over, they've increased the rate for the exact same plan by 20%.

If you like the plan you're on, you're okay.  Please see the announcement or the FAQ's...

Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

chrism

Haiggy

@mh1983 wrote:

@Haiggy wrote:

Disappointing.

Agreed...so the $25 plan lasted for like a few months? Not cool. I'm on that plan now; will I have to switch to something new before the next renewal or can I keep the plan so long as I don't change things?

Who knows how long these plans will last. "Limited Time Offer" was only branded for some plans, and the $25 plan you're on was not one of them. Sad.

nola52

Hello, my account too was suspended since this morning on the April, 23. Hope it will be ok soon because I need this phone...

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @Alan_K !

Its great that PM is offering a data plan at the lucrative $30 price point.

I witnessed a regression/deterioration of PM from an innovative and exciting new player in the market to just another 3rd tier brand of the Big3. 

I strongly urge team PM to reconsider this "3g speeds" approach and go back to your strength.  Don't be afraid to stand out. 

Always wishing you the best. 

Haiggy

@JackQuint wrote:

The whole "data at 3G spped" to be a complete farce. The network is the network. It costs Telus nothing more to allow someone to connect at LTE than it does to connect at 3G.

All bandwidth to a given cell tower is limited by its connection to the internet and can vary as well, so your connection to even the LTE network is still throttled to allow other users access, and therefore inconsistent speeds can be common. I'd rather have a reliable speed that I can count on, and PM so happens to offer that at what they call '3G speed' for both simplicity and marketing purposes. You'd be hard-pressed to try and explain the fine print to people in a way that resonates as well as this branding does.

bar0460

The plan I referred to is a a no zone plan.   No Freedom tower, no problem will roam on Telus, Bell, or Rogers just like Telus roams on Bell when necessary. 

JackQuint

@bar0460 wrote:

Actually Freedom has a new 1.5 gig nationwide prepaid plan for $24 (29-5 for auto pay) Includes wifi calling and VoLte too.

Good point, I was only looking at the postpaid options. Freedom also gets you Shaw's WiFi network which has incredibly extensive coverage. While Freedom's network isn't as good (yet) as Telus', PM (Chatr/Koodo/Fido) are really struggling to be good value options in comparison. My need is for a little bit of data now and then for a second device ... PM's lowest cost plan with teh 1GB LTE add-on is perfect for me. But, for a primary device where you need data? Not really very competitive.

bar0460

Actually Freedom has a new 1.5 gig nationwide prepaid plan for $24 (29-5 for auto pay) Includes wifi calling and VoLte too.

JackQuint

The whole "data at 3G spped" to be a complete farce. The network is the network. It costs Telus nothing more to allow someone to connect at LTE than it does to connect at 3G. It's nothing more than an artificially introduced speed cap to cause someone to buy a higher priced plan not because they need more data or more minutes, but because they want higher speed. This is 2019, LTE should be simply be the default normal.

Seeing as Freedom does 1GB LTE for $25/month, 4GB for $40, and 8GB for $50 ... PM's not really much of a deal at all considering they almost no actual costs to operate.

francine75011

The speed in all the plan has been lowered. It is now back to 3G.  I have a 40$ plan with 4G LTE which seems they want me to change for a less interesting plan.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K wrote: 

Hey Community,

As a competitive response, effective April 23rd, 2019, the following price plans are being offered.  These offers are available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$30 for 1 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed

$40 for 2.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 2 GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed

-Public Mobile Community Team

A step in the wrong direction.  PM, let's get back to being a leader in lowering prices instead of being a follower in price hikes.

demon1102

@francine75011 wrote:

@lisa_insane this is not what I call service to get an answer between 2 and 48 hours.  What I pay at Public Mobile now is not a price so great that I cannot have customer service when I need it.  They just need to add more employees.

They added more employees for their new kiosks obviously. 

demon1102

No surprise that PM increased their price. When they announced some plans would be discontinued and they opened new kiosks , I defintely forseed that. Well, I'll tolerant that sadly. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

"competitive response" what a joke!! you raised the prices! what next?

The drama on here! My Gawd, everyone running PM should get the electric chair!

Something unexpectedly went wrong for some accounts. They will fix it. Don’t start adding $ and restarting things unless your phone is really a matter of life or death. No, it isn’t fraud. Sure, head to the media and get your lawyers lined up for the law suit of the century. You’re made of money which is precisely why you are a PM customer. I can assure you there is wording allowing for possible unexpected service outages. Chill people.....

Need Help? Let's chat.