cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: New plans launching on April 23rd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective April 23rd, 2019, the following price plans are being offered.  These offers are available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$30 for 1 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 2, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 500 MB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

$40 for 2.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 2 GB of data at 3G speed

$45 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed (Update as of May 10, 2019: This plan is now expired.)

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This offer is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our help article here.  

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you choose to change your plan to one of these plans on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the plan you selected even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

Why is this change being made?

The decision to introduce these rate plans was made with respect to market dynamics.

223 REPLIES 223

Homely
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Incoming should have shown 30, not 20. Sorry, fat fingers....

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Homely wrote:

I’m new here. I got the $15 plan that ‘includes unlimited incoming’ calls, but it doesn’t!! My usage says I used 53 minutes, but I only used 12 minutes outgoing, and 20 incoming??

That's very interesting because a lot of people here would like to know if the incoming minutes are unlimited or not.  You said your usage says 53 mins used but you have only used 32 in total?  You know the usage is counted in seconds, so 1 min 10 seconds would use up 2 minutes in total of plan minutes, however, that doesn't explain the discrepancy between the plan being offered and what you are seeing. 

I'm hoping one of the moderators, maybe @Alan_K  can let us know exactly what the new $15 plan features are?

Homely

I’m new here. I got the $15 plan that ‘includes unlimited incoming’ calls, but it doesn’t!! My usage says I used 53 minutes, but I only used 12 minutes outgoing, and 20 incoming??

bar0460
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Klane wrote:

@TheGx wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Just in case if anyone is still interested in getting this $30 plan, today is the last day to sign up. 

Capture.JPG

Spoiler
(Maybe PM will bring back the $25 plan? Smiley Tongue)

Thanks, but I'm more interested to see when these plans are discontinued and what new plans are offered, like hopefully they bring back cheaper plans like the $25 plan that was exactly the same as this $30 plan that ending today - it's harder to refer people to Public if they keep raising prices and not giving the $25 referal rewards, but I still do my best to refer everyone I can.

Fyi I have just confirmed you can get this $30 plan for $25 if you build it yourself... how do ya like that for a deal announcement !

That's all well and good but when I log in to any of my accounts and try to change the plan via the build your own plan button, the page continuously times out.

Klane

@TheGx wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Just in case if anyone is still interested in getting this $30 plan, today is the last day to sign up. 

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

Thanks, but I'm more interested to see when these plans are discontinued and what new plans are offered, like hopefully they bring back cheaper plans like the $25 plan that was exactly the same as this $30 plan that ending today - it's harder to refer people to Public if they keep raising prices and not giving the $25 referal rewards, but I still do my best to refer everyone I can.

Fyi I have just confirmed you can get this $30 plan for $25 if you build it yourself... how do ya like that for a deal announcement !

Klane

@TheGx wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

Did you try the DYI method of getting the 500 + 500 $25 plan

Klane

@Waelallison & @BEER 

Freedom LTE+3G 9.5GB Promo

9.5GBfor$43/mo.†

• 3GB fast LTE + 6.5GB 3G speed data with no data overage fees!

• Unlimited Canada-wide talk 

• Unlimited global text

•  
  • Or $50 9 GB LTE Usa Roaming plan

Plus they have a million locations and call center to help  and you can get a New free phone 

That is much more for Less than PM

@BEER wrote:

@Waelallison wrote:

I have the $45 plan.  Gives me more data than any other provider and in top of that I am able to call and txt with no limits.  I tried many other providers and this is the best so far. 

I totally agree - I have a $15 that gives me unlimited texts, 100 LD voice and 250 MB data - that furthermore allows me to add-ons that don't expire until all used up.  To the rest that feel riped off, please give me an example of a better deal.

@BEER, you do realize the latest $15 plan includes unlimited incoming calls.  You might want to do a plan change and get some extras for no additional cost. 

@TheGx wrote:

@zfx wrote:

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

My suggestion is to stop referring.  If you won't get the plan for yourself because it is not good value, why would you want to refer others looking for a value plan?  The referral will probably leave soon after finding out that there's better value elsewhere and you are no further ahead.  Maybe it would be a set back as your good name will be tarnished and any future recommendations would be ignored.  I don't see myself bringing in referrals until the old deals come back or new deals of similar value appear. 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Waelallison wrote:

I have the $45 plan.  Gives me more data than any other provider and in top of that I am able to call and txt with no limits.  I tried many other providers and this is the best so far. 

I totally agree - I have a $15 that gives me unlimited texts, 100 LD voice and 250 MB data - that furthermore allows me to add-ons that don't expire until all used up.  To the rest that feel riped off, please give me an example of a better deal.

BEER

@Klane wrote:

@BEER wrote:

What did you expect? PM is a business and not a charitable organization. 

Obviously but if you shop at No Frills you expect it to be a lot cheaper...right now PM plans are pay more and get less !

Please give me an example.

TheGx

@zfx wrote:

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

zfx

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Waelallison wrote:

I think that you are right but this is the only way yo save some $ and get more data and actual service. 

@Waelallison 

For clarity, it's good practice to either quote the message to which you're replying (preferable when your reply isn't the next one following), or tag the author of that message, like I've done with your name here. That way, people don't have to search for or wonder whom you're talking to in a very long thread. The message you replied to was from 6 days ago which makes your reply hard to follow after so many posts in between. (I was only able to determine this by hitting the quote button after clicking edit on your post, which only moderators and oracles can do.)

To quote the message, click that big black "quote" button above the message box right after you click reply. Note: For users who have enabled Quick Reply on community settings, the quote button is only available if you click the regular "reply" button instead of "quick reply."  Be sure to type your own text outside of the orange bar indicating the quoted message.  If the original message is long, it's best to only quote the relevant lines by editing out the rest.

Waelallison

I think that you are right but this is the only way yo save some $ and get more data and actual service. 

Waelallison

Jtfman22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Klane wrote:

@BEER wrote:

Obviously but if you shop at No Frills you expect it to be a lot cheaper...right now PM plans are pay more and get less !

So true! The kiosks opening also makes it clear to me that Public Mobile is becoming more of a Koodo, rather than an online only, "no frills" prepaid carrier. Only differences will be no call center or postpaid plans (and probably no phones for sale).

Mobile services keep going down hill here in Canada (for consumers, of course). Hopefully some reforms will be coming soon from the CRTC (despite their obviously biased chairman). One can only hope.

Klane

@BEER wrote:

Klane

Agreed, the current plans are very under welming...its not like you are getting fast or cheap data.

BEER

mojorising

I'm not impressed with the restructuring of these price plans and the reduction of the amount of data. if anything the data should be going up compared to the US and other countries.

If I was shopping around now I probably would not join PM, however I am very happy with the serice and the discounts!

Klane

it should be any different in BC, but it does not work on the plans page.  It will only give you the $25 plan if you do it from plan change in my account.

Be sure to select 30 day, unlimited Canada Talk, unlimited Text & 500mb + 500mb bonus.

I just checked again  now to confirm.

I first happened to notice that the $30/1GB 3G plan had dropped to $25 and notified my friends of the change on March 22. So you are correct, it didn’t stay there for long! 

I checked the Create Your own plan and it is $35 for BC. Glad you got your plan sorted out though. You aren’t doing very data intensive things with only 1GB so like myself, I don’t think you will even notice the “speed limit”.

Terry

Klane

@Munday wrote:

For some reason, as of this morning, the $25, 500 MB + 500 MB with auto-pay plan is still available. In self serve, choose: change plan -> build your own plan -> 30 day plan -> unlimited canada wide talk. -> international text -> 500 MB + 500 MB with auto-pay. This option was also available to a friend that signed up on a brand new activation yesterday.

Confirmed the $25 1GB plan is still available if you puild your own with unlimited talk & Text... all those here wanting it back should grab it before it's gone again !

Klane

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Klane wrote:

Already did that !   Also I knew I wanted the $25 plan, I just didn't know:

1. The change could be future dated 

2. The plan would end before my next billing cycle (yesterday).

It makes no sense that the $25 plan was so popular they decided to raise the price after 2 weeks.

I’m sorry but to me a few things don’t add up. In a previous post you mentioned you have the same plan as the $30/1GB PM plan for $20 with another provider. If so, why are you wasting time here wanting the $25/1GB plan? Move this phone to the better $20 plan with the other provider! What plan were you on when you wanted to change to the $25/1GB plan? You didn’t know you could future date the change so your only option was to switch early losing the remainder of your 30 days and your plan renewed April 27. You would have only lost 5 days which is $5 worth if you were on the $30 plan thus you would have “broken even” with the early change to the $25 plan and would then have been on the plan you wanted saving $5/month each month going forward. 

Thank You for your interest, but you have made several incorrect assumptions.

Background: I was with koodo for over  2 years when A new company (Fizz) from Videotron was offering 4G unlimited plans with LTE data for $6... yes $6 !  I would be happy to stay with Fizz even though my plan is now $20 but with cottage season hopefully coming soon and the only service available where I am is 2 bars on the the Telus network.

That is the only reason I joined PM a month ago and why I cant just stick with the best plan ever for $20. 

I was considering dropping my 4G plan to save money with PM but unfortunately the $25 plan was announced only days after I joined so an immediate change would have cost me almost a full months service and since I dont use  PM as my main line, I decided to wait until my renewal thinking the plan would last more then a few weeks and I could get by with the slow data if it meant a cheap plan on the Telus network.

Update:

I am not out anything and was able to get the $25 unlimited with 1GB by creating my own plan with the same options. So although it's now advertised as on sale for $30 I was able to pick a DYI plan and get it for $25. 

I hope that adds up to you, and anyone wanting the $25 deal should jump on it before its changed.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@zmh1175 wrote:

**bleep** those plans are suck compare to chatr and lucky mobile.

That might be true...however, OTOH you are never locked into any plan here and are free to go to one of the better options out there at any time.

@Klane wrote:

It makes no sense that the $25 plan was so popular they decided to raise the price after 2 weeks.

I’m sorry but to me a few things don’t add up. In a previous post you mentioned you have the same plan as the $30/1GB PM plan for $20 with another provider. If so, why are you wasting time here wanting the $25/1GB plan? Move this phone to the better $20 plan with the other provider! What plan were you on when you wanted to change to the $25/1GB plan? You didn’t know you could future date the change so your only option was to switch early losing the remainder of your 30 days and your plan renewed April 27. You would have only lost 5 days which is $5 worth if you were on the $30 plan thus you would have “broken even” with the early change to the $25 plan and would then have been on the plan you wanted saving $5/month each month going forward. 

Munday

For some reason, as of this morning, the $25, 500 MB + 500 MB with auto-pay plan is still available. In self serve, choose: change plan -> build your own plan -> 30 day plan -> unlimited canada wide talk. -> international text -> 500 MB + 500 MB with auto-pay. This option was also available to a friend that signed up on a brand new activation yesterday.

Klane

@Klane wrote:

Bring back the $25 1GB plan, the same plan is now $30, so  it's a better deal to go  with Koodo, get a subsidized phone (and visa gift card) plus get full 4G LTE data.

I am not happy the $ 25 as ended so quickly, I missed it because I was unaware plan changes could be future dated.. from what I read a plan change meant you immediately lose your current plan because changes happen in real time only.... hope this info from my experience will help others not miss out on the very limited time offer plans.

And to be notified and never again miss an announcement or new promo again, simply follow the instructions here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-How-to-get-notified-of-ANY-New-Promo...

Need Help? Let's chat.