Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,593 REPLIES 5,593

HI @TrustLess 

yes, the 5GB is a decent bonus for the $15 plan owner. 

Kevin6432
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is disgusting. Looks like it's finally time to make use of all those "Have unresolved complaints, contact the CRTC" texts that Public sends out every quarter. Renegging on offered terms this substantially is insane.

I'm going from $8 off/month to $2.5 in points/month. NOT TO MENTION, the previous offered bonus for joining the new points system has disapeared. Remember when they offered 1 point for every month you've been with Public? So we all had dozens of dollars worth of points waiting to smooth ill feelings when we inevitably switched? Yeah now we get 5 whole points.

Furthermore, why does the bonus data expire. Are you actually for real, Public? You guys are that greedy that you couldn't just have it remain in our accounts until used? Does anyone remember the free holiday bonuses Public used to give when they were a decent company? A free 1-2GB that didn't expire AND 1000 long distance minutes. Too bad that stopped this past holiday season... And now this 5GB "bonus". Absolutely pathetic.

I'm on the $15/mo plan, which has been more or less fine for me. But I've always wanted a touch more data. I honestly might just switch to another company now for a $25/mo plan with more data. I could get that sort of plan here with Public, but you've proved loyalty means nothing, so why bother staying.

TrustLess

The 5GB for the $15/M plan is a ONE TIME bonus. You will still be getting 250MB a month

Altt

Well, 5GB is a heck of a lot better than the 250MB I was getting.

@Bethn1 

The data bonus depends on your base plan:

$13/$15 plan  - 5 GB

$24/25 plan - 30 GB

above $29 plan - 240 GB

All expire in 150 days.  If you change to lower plan or your plan becomes inactive, customers will lose the data add on.  

For most customers, the data add on is not useful. 

Altt

230GB?? I got 5GB!

Bethn1

Brilliant! Had to sing it just to see how it sounded. 

Looks like they only dropped 5GB in my acct v.s. the hundreds I read about in a news article. And it expires, very disappointing.

@upandadam wrote:

Oh nobody took it down, but the one mod that just replied to me but deleted the comment after was trying to say I was lacking intelligence.  Back peddled quickly though.

This community is becoming a clown show and rightfully so.

No mod said any of those comments to you. 

Funny how some of the loudest pay attention the least

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

With apologies to Paul MacCartney, I’m going to a karaoke bar this summer and sing an updated “Yesterday” with this PM version:

Loyalty

All my rewards are now points since May

And it looks as if they’re here to stay

Oh, I believe in loyalty

Suddenly

I’ve got half the plan it used to be

There’s a big bill hanging over me

Oh, loyalty gone suddenly

Why they had to go

I don’t know, they wouldn’t say

I did nothing wrong

Now I long for loyalty

Loyalty

Bills were such an easy thing to pay

Now I need to redeem points since May

Oh, I believe in loyalty

Mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm, hmm-hmm

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Definitely a lot of people seemingly "protecting" PM in this thread, and not just Oracles either. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been over 1000 comments removed so far as well. They're trying really hard to suppress this thread as much as possible, without actually taking it down altogether (because that would cause a bigger stink).

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@fixin wrote:

That is because accounts who are on the Unlimited Data at reduced speeds are ineligible to get it.

Always love receiving compensation they know is ineligible. Can feel the loyalty love rolling right in with that one lol.... 

Shouldn't they have considered other ways to compensate people instead of giving out a large amount of (let's face it, useless) data, and then as a last smack in the face, they put it all in a locked box and throw away the key?

upandadam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh nobody took it down, but the one mod that just replied to me but deleted the comment after was trying to say I was lacking intelligence.  Back peddled quickly though.

This community is becoming a clown show and rightfully so.

Matty1234

I'm ok with these charities, it's good that Telus has some kind of corporate social responsibility. But clearly they are capable of doing this while not removing the rewards program given 5hat they're already doing it. 

fixin

@kb_mv wrote:

@fixin wrote:

@IanP - Now some people may go to TextNow for free Talk & Text with SIM card.

@fixin you can't activate the TextNow sim in Canada.

@kb_mv - Hmmm. Should have zoomed in on the coverage map. That may have saved my life with free TextNow service with no app limitations. 😕

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@fixin wrote:

@fixin you can't activate the TextNow sim in Canada.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@fixin wrote:

@kb_mv - That is because accounts who are on the Unlimited Data at reduced speeds are ineligible to get it.

@fixin yes I know, that's why I wrote what I did.

fixin

IanP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Gleaned from the internet.

It's a pity charity doesn't start at home! From some comments I have read many customers rely on the legacy rewards to make their plans affordable and keep them connected.

TELUS announces an unprecedented $125M contribution to support youth and build stronger communities

February 10, 2023 09:00 ET| Source: TELUS Communications IncFollow

TELUS’ $125M annual contribution is the highest amount it has ever given in one year and equates to 5 per cent in pre-tax profit.

Building stronger communities across British Columbia

Since 2000, TELUS has donated $300 million in support of charities and community organizations across British Columbia including BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, BC SPCA, and wildfire relief efforts through local food banks.

fixin

@kb_mv - That is because accounts who are on the Unlimited Data at reduced speeds are ineligible to get it.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@MandyJS weird as some oracle's have seen where it doesn't show incompatible

@ShawnC13 My wife and I received the 240GB data today. Mine is on the Can-USA plan and shows as compatible and hers is still on the Can only "unlimited" plan and shows incompatible. I would rather they didn't bother giving the "bonus" data to my incompatible account. It seems like a kick in the ....... and comes across as a sleazy move by PM giving out expiring data that they know cannot be used.

@G_Pomzz   Ahh...got it.  Thanks for clarifying.

geogolem

@IanP wrote:

Telus is a very active corporation, they support a great mant charities and event, this is commendable! I believe it runs into the millions

What I do not agree with is that if they cannot afford to do this without raising our payments then they should scale back and allow us to contribute to our preferred charity. 

There are some that I personally would support over others.

lol -- but in this way, they take the credit for the charitable donations and also get the tax benefits.. Meanwhile, the customers who are actually footing the bill don't get anything... lol

G_Pomzz

Hey dabr,

I didn't actually negotiate but I was able to upgrade my plan from 30 GB Canada wide to 50 GB Canada - USA wide, for the same monthly cost.

Since I go the the states quite a bit this was a win for me. 

@MandyJS weird as some oracle's have seen where it doesn't show incompatible

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@G_Pomzz wrote:

@ValeryD1  said:

My situation is more than problematic, I pay for three lines and this will significantly hit the budget, I’ll see what can be done and how this will affect payments in the month of May. Paying the full price for three phones is not realistic

Having 3 lines, you would be a significant loss to PM. Talk to customer retention by opening a help ticket and see if you can negotiate a multi-line discount or better plan for the same price you are now paying. I just updated my plan significantly without increasing my monthly fee. Although I'll be losing all my Rewards discount in May, I still think it's a good value. 

@G_Pomzz    Maybe I'm missing something here, but are you saying you were able to negotiate something better to soften the upcoming loss of loyalty/autopay discount by contacting support?

miltondad2twins

1000007597.jpg

 This is where I lose big time with the new points program.  The rest of my family lose $6 per month with no referals.  I certainly am reviewing my options.  Although so far in my research I have found that Public Mobile has the best long distance rate per minute to the UK.  Also all the gift international calling minutes hold some value.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 Is it true that it works on unlimited plans? The linked page makes it sound like it doesn't. 

IMG_3428.jpeg

Niko2

Same here! 

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MandyJS is the data addon showing as incompatible? I had heard this has been fixed. I know the addon is useless for just about everyone but I thought the incompatible was fixed. On unlimited data it is supposed to kick in instead of going down to the really low throttled speed.

I checked it right after the text message came in saying they had added it, and it was listed under the incompatible add on section with the other Christmas data bonuses. 

HI @G_Pomzz  your mulit-lines discount is the $1 (or 1 point)  per line and the $10 one time when you use the referral code 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.