Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,596 REPLIES 5,596

ninjastar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

"Maybe part of the plan is to lose business and eventually shut down PM entirely, ever since Telus took over they've tried doing quite a bit to make existing customers angry and disappointed."

This. Something smells rotten. Culling the herd seems like a specific intentional action to balance out some financial spreadsheet for a new buyer or merger. 

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've read all of the posts up to page 16... pretty sure no one has asked this so, can anyone please advise if customers located in Quebec will still receive the $5 off per month, or is this lost as well? 

Signed up in July '20 for a $35 plan (- $5 off QC location - $2 Auto pay - $3 Loyalty) = $25 per month currently. 

I've had a quick look at other providers & the choices are limited. When the enforced points system comes into effect, I'm leaning towards downgrading my plan to the one PM provides for $25 per month, meaning I'll lose 1 GB of data per month & forfeit the gift of 240 GB special bonus data. I'll get to keep all of my Add-Ons earned over the years = 6 GB data & 1500 minutes INTL Long Distance incl CA & US.

I really wish I could downgrade to the $24 per month plan, currently available for new activations only. I sincerely believe that if PM made that an option, it would compensate a bit for the loss of our legacy rewards, especially so if Quebec residents lose that $5 per month reduction. 

I can't imagine that the difference in what the two plans provide would have that great an impact on PM's bottom line. Making it available to everyone would restore a fair amount of the good will PM customers normally have for them. Currently it's being drained away by the enforced point system, combined with the restriction to this attractive plan.

Stelawrat_0-1709879873790.png

@Chops888 wrote:

So what should I expect to see when my plan switches to Public Points?

My Current Plan and Old Rewards are:

• $34, 5G 
  • $13 in rewards per month, leaving me a bill of $21.

Do I at least get $13 per month worth of value upon entering the new rewards (besides the one-time data bonus?)

@Chops888 so there are some assumptions on your rewards you are earning now.  They are that you have maxed out the 5 year loyalty for $5, $2 autpay and then 6 referrals.  On the points you will get 1.7 points ($34 * 5%) + 6 points for referrals.  You will also get 10 points on your anniversary date which works out to  .833 points per month but not paid out until your anniversary, so you will not be getting the equivalent to your $13  per month.

Edited to Add:  DIdn't realise there were responses to this on another page already lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BenjaminClassic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sooo I no longer get 2$ off for autopay and 3$ off for being with PM for the last 3 years 

Amped

Yeah, I don't get why people are so hung up on seeing a 5G symbol on their phone.  I routinely get better speeds on LTE since the signal is stronger and my battery lasts longer.  I've actually disabled 5G on my phone. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your math is a little more complicated than it needs to be, but yeah, you're correct. You'll be paying $53.60 more per year. So basically an extra $4.50 more per month.

Bunnyhop

This is what happens when you people let BC TEL become privatized and then sit on your hands when Telus buys out the little guy Public Mobile.

We need to switch to another Telecom brand that is independent of the big 3.

Cutestories
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Boooooo

JamJam2

That's exactly what the Bobs at Telus Corporate want. They want you to move from Public to Koodo. Move to PC mobile, Freedom, Lucky. Lots of good deals without rewarding Telus.

Chops888
  • I have $6 in friend referrals. So it seems I can earn 6 points every month. So in a year that's 72 points.
  • For my plan, your math is saying the $34 x 5% = 1.70 points. So in a year, I can earn about 20.4 points.
  • And anniversary points would be 10 points.

For a total of 102.4 points = $102.40 of potential discount if I don't do anything else. Correct?

Old: $21 x 12 months = $252
New: $34 x 12 months ($408) - $102.40 discount = $305.60
Difference: $53.60 increase

Crashtestdummy

Been an ambassador to Public Mobile for over 5 years. Was their marketing department. Tech and general support when forum or referrals needed help. Steady revenue stream for the company from me, my referrals and their referrals and this forced upon inferior points system is how we get treated! Unbelievable!! Please consider how much your company will have to spend to get your loyal customers back once they leave!! 

You are making a big mistake Public Mobile!! 

@Chops888 wrote:

• $34, 5G 

Do I at least get $13 per month worth of value upon entering the new rewards (besides the one-time data bonus?)

@Chops888 depends on how much friend referrals you have now.

The $2 autopay and the loyalty rewards will be gone.  But you will get the same friends referral rewards in points (assuming no change to the number of active friends).  You will pay the full $34 and earn 1.7 points (unless you have money in Available Funds now).  Once you have 15 points, you can redeem for $15 bill credit and bring down the next bill by $15

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Chops888 

Points can be cashed in for $1 each. And you'll get 5 Points as a "Welcome Present".

You'll also get 5% of your spending back as Points. So you can effectively get the equivalent of your old $13 Rewards by spending $260 each billing cycle.

Chops888

• $34, 5G 

@Zahir_h, I doubt that could be taken as the comment that PM put on the Fall  Promo where they said the price would never change.  Just says there were no plans to force people to migrate 2 years ago.  Plans change I guess

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore

I wasn't referring to buying data directly from them. There are far better options once you enter the US. Could just buy a cheap sim card with plenty of data for example.

Fizz promo ends after 6 months, but their regular price is almost identical to PM, so you're really just saving some extra money for 6 months.

Freedom ends after 24 months, but as we all know, a lot changes in 2 years, so by then, there will be a new plan to switch to anyway.

@fixin wrote:

@Nikkk wrote:

I have the 5G plan yet my phone hasn't gone to 5G once.  s20 5G if you're wondering. 

Ohhhh, Public Mobile released 5G after the S20 lineup got its last major update. LTE-A is just as good as 5G speeds. Some people reported that LTE speeds in GTA were about the same as 5G (TELUS users say that they get 510mbps on LTE-A & 550 on 5G SA.)

I've got a result of 920Mbps before on LTE.

Crashtestdummy

Congrats Public Mobile!! 

The legacy rewards were sufficient that I never felt the need to shop around for a better plan from anywhere else - I've just periodically switched to a better PM plan whenever I saw one. I will now be regularly looking to competitors for a better deal. I've also downgraded my plan in the meantime while shopping. 

No incentive for loyalty and your subscribers marketing referrals on your behalf means you get none from our friends and family.

Wish you luck. 

Zahir_h

1000039704.jpg

 No T&C about is.  So I am assuming that this should be sufficient for a CCTS.  The only way we can communicate with PM is via this forum.  And that J-PM is a representative for PM one can take this at face value that they will not convert existing clients to the new rewar site. 

Anna320

I have been a loyal customer for over 5 years. You promised that every year, we'll get another $1 off and eventually our plan will be free. When you rolled out your new points plan, you said we could keep our existing reward plan.

I have $9 in loyalty & referral rewards a month. You're taking this away. I will be switching away from Public Mobile, as are everyone I ever referred. What the heck do you think you're doing??

fixin

@Wolfcore wrote:

Yeah, I didn't mention the $34 because not everybody got that plan. I simply used the current and cheapest available plan that includes US data.

Regardless, same sentiment stands. Even $5 is $60 a year. Depending how many times you visit the US, you may not even use $60 worth of data. Anyway, like I said, I don't believe that there's a large percentage of PM users that are traveling to the US this frequently, and using $60-120 worth of data anyway, so the extra money isn't worth it for most people.

As for PC being owned by Bell, and them laying off workers, I think once we start expanding the goalposts to external factors like that, it would just get messy. Telus isn't any better, and don't get me started on the sham of "bell let's talk", and all the corruption behind that either.

PC is also just one option, there are plenty of others out there, and I'm sure more will come as a result of this situation, and there being a ton of disgruntled customers. Other companies are definitely going to step in and try and scoop these subscribers up.

Freedom & Fizz are total deal breakers for US data at a low price, other than that they both go up (6 months on fizz & 24 months on Freedom.)

PC is good, they did just introduce 5G plans. May be a dealbreaker for some people.

ninjastar

I have no reason or desire to visit the US. If I go anywhere international, I buy their local sim card and done. 

Wolfcore

Yeah, I didn't mention the $34 because not everybody got that plan. I simply used the current and cheapest available plan that includes US data.

Regardless, same sentiment stands. Even $5 is $60 a year. Depending how many times you visit the US, you may not even use $60 worth of data. Anyway, like I said, I don't believe that there's a large percentage of PM users that are traveling to the US this frequently, and using $60-120 worth of data anyway, so the extra money isn't worth it for most people.

As for PC being owned by Bell, and them laying off workers, I think once we start expanding the goalposts to external factors like that, it would just get messy. Telus isn't any better, and don't get me started on the sham of "bell let's talk", and all the corruption behind that either.

PC is also just one option, there are plenty of others out there, and I'm sure more will come as a result of this situation, and there being a ton of disgruntled customers. Other companies are definitely going to step in and try and scoop these subscribers up.

GKPublic

Thanks for the reply, Burdwood.  Just to summarize for everyone else: if you switch plans, your loyalty data is forfeited.

@dabr is this the post you were looking for? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points-Rewards/m-p/7...

fixin

@Nikkk wrote:

I have the 5G plan yet my phone hasn't gone to 5G once.  s20 5G if you're wondering. 

Ohhhh, Public Mobile released 5G after the S20 lineup got its last major update. LTE-A is just as good as 5G speeds. Some people reported that LTE speeds in GTA were about the same as 5G (TELUS users say that they get 510mbps on LTE-A & 550 on 5G SA.)

fixin

@Wolfcore wrote:

U.S roaming is a nice perk, but the reality is that most people aren't traveling to the U.S so often that they need to have this. You're also most likely paying for it on your bill anyway. For example, Let's say you were to go with PC's $29 plan (25GB 5G). Sure, for an extra $10 you can have PM's plan which includes that U.S data (and more data in general), but that's also costing you an extra $120 a year. If the 25gb is more than enough for you, and you only go to the US once or twice a year, then you wouldn't spend anywhere near that $120 per year on data. So in the end, you'll save more by using PC's plan.

Really depends what type of user you are, but I don't think the vast majority of PM's current subscriber base are traveling to the US that often, to justify the extra cost.

I am going to the states possibly a couple of times this year or next year & I will be outside of Wi-Fi and be doing speed tests, and plus if you got it before march 4th it was $34 for 50GB 5G, only a $60 a year increase from PC mobile.

PC is somewhat operated by Bell, which lays off workers any chance they get. Always during the 'Bell Let's Talk' season.

Wolfcore

U.S roaming is a nice perk, but the reality is that most people aren't traveling to the U.S so often that they need to have this. You're also most likely paying for it on your bill anyway. For example, Let's say you were to go with PC's $29 plan (25GB 5G). Sure, for an extra $10 you can have PM's plan which includes that U.S data (and more data in general), but that's also costing you an extra $120 a year. If the 25gb is more than enough for you, and you only go to the US once or twice a year, then you wouldn't spend anywhere near that $120 per year on data. So in the end, you'll save more by using PC's plan.

Really depends what type of user you are, but I don't think the vast majority of PM's current subscriber base are traveling to the US that often, to justify the extra cost.

Nikkk

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

@ninjastar wrote:

Yup, any of the Bell subsidiaries will work. Look at PC mobile. We collect PC points anyway. 

Only issue is you can't use them in the US. No roaming packages. 

True but you can get a TextNow SIM, choose a Canadian # or US # and use it for free calling and texting in US without needing to connect to Wi-Fi to use it.

Need Help? Let's chat.