Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,597 REPLIES 5,597

About2Leave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The roll out on this was handled poorly. The first time Public communicated this change to me was when I recieved enrollment notification today. I thought someone had hacked my account. 

I received other messages from Public, but not this. Something is broken in your customer service area that should be looked into. 

HI @PmEugeS 

actually, out of the $11, you have 4 ore more friend referrals?

the friend referrals will now show up in points.  You wait a day or two after renewal, then check the Rewards site again, and you should see PM add 5% points plus the friend referrals there.  

After you see you get 15 points, you can then redeem for $15 bill credit

PmEugeS

So I just checked my Public account after the switch to the new Reward system. I had $11 dollars earned in the old system in the previous reward system from my April billing (so technically it should be applied to my next billing cycle)...all of that just disappeared. Isn't that considered stealing from the customer what they had earned?  I thought they would have applied at least the remaining dollar amount that was earned before the next billing cycle switch and clearing that amount before the switch. Angry...really angry.

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Fizz has 20 GB for $ 25.00 a month, which is the same as my PM plan, before points, so it's not a better deal for me. 

Other carriers might have adequate coverage, but the only way I would know is to switch, and, based on past experience, I am unwilling to do that.

I don't think it was unethical.  The terms state they can change things whenever they like, we got 28 months on Rewards, instead of being forced onto Points, and the offerings have both increased data and reduced prices.

hi @Alex111R 

business is business, all carrier has the right to change Rewards system.  Just people not understand that and misfire their angers

If you check around, lots of rewards system change and all change for the worse.  

Alex111R
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Fizz is a better deal. Depending on where you live, you may lack coverage. But it is expanding. People who rave about it, do not rave about it just because $$, but also because of the disgusting act of public mobile treating clients as idiots and dismissing loyalty accumulated so far even with the new points system. I do not want to do business with a dishonest business. It is up to you if you stay for $$ (if the $$ is not the issue, then there are other networks with better coverage too for you)

marcnoel

I forgot to say - it appears that some individuals are upset because they are losing discounts every month, vs. having to wait to accumulate.  It comes across that they seem like they've got one foot out the door all the time, ready to jump ship at a moment's notice.  All this for a loss of $ 5.42 a month.  In my own case, my plan was free for two years, and I saved $ 360.00 before taxes, equivalent to over 66 months at $ 5.42 each.  I just dropped my plan price to a maximum of $ 21.92/month for 20 GB.  If I had left in recent time because I was mad, I would have missed out on this deal, and ended up paying more elsewhere, and, possibly, encountering reception issues.  I know that some people are looking 250 years down the road, but I might not live to see tomorrow, so...

If you can get a better deal elsewhere, go.  If you can get your referrals to follow you, by all means.  I've been discussing this with some of my referrals since the start, and they've investigated other offerings, only to find that they are either the same price before PM discounts, or else there are reception issues.  I thought Fizz was the best deal, what with their 50% off beta testing.  In the long run, it was still cheaper to stay with PM, but rollover and gifting data sounded great.  Unfortunately, between reception, coverage, and phone incompatibility, I couldn't do it.  It doesn't matter how good another carrier's deal is if you can't use it.

marcnoel

Something to consider is, PM did NOT have to give us the option to stay on Rewards back in January 2022.  They could have just switched everybody.  Those of us who stayed on Rewards until now got an extra 28 months.   Is no-one grateful for what they got, vs. only upset at what they've now lost?  It reminds me of people who say that their partner doesn't see what they do, only what they don't do.

Separately, numerous individuals have commented in past that they wished that PM offered X, even if it was more expensive.  As an example, my wife and I switched over to the $ 75.00/90 days 60 GB plan (20 GB/month).  That's $ 25.00 a month for 20 GB, in comparison to the recent offering of 1 GB for $ 25.00.  What if the Rewards had stuck around, but plan prices went up?  Would that have been better?  My wife and I will lose $ 4.92/month each with the change, but we each dropped $ 9.00/month switching from the $ 34.00/50 GB plan.  I still don't know how many of my referrals remain, but, even if they all leave (except my wife), I will still average $ 3.08 off per month, for a plan price of $ 21.92 for 20 GB.  I don't see anywhere else I can get that with adequate reception/coverage in my area.  There are multiple offerings of more data and US calling, but I don't need either of those.  Until further notice, this is still the best deal for us.

The following is not meant to be offensive to anyone.  When we communicate verbally, we can hear grammatical errors, but not spelling or punctuation mistakes.  In comparison, when writing (texts, posts, e-mails, etc.), we can see all of those things.  Think about how it would make you feel if you bought a physical book, and it had...

little or no punctuation;

no paragraph breaks;

run-on sentences;

no capitalization at the beginning of sentences;

some or all of the words in all caps, bold, or both;

inconsistent spacing;

along with spelling and grammatical errors.

My point is, please keep in mind credibility when posting, because, it may be that a person isn't taken seriously because of the post composition.  It would be nice if everything was fair in life, but many people will dismiss someone's post because it is poorly constructed.  I know multiple people who have given up reading things because they were poorly written, so go from there.

HI @Y4J259 thanks for being creative

since March, many has came up different idea of how PM can offer better to make us happy, or help us to save more

But I think those who suggested missed the fact that PM is not asking for suggestion.  This is a change that already in process, in fact, the old rewards system pretty much dead by now.  Many made complain and none, absolutely no one reported back saying PM lost the argument and need to offer anything for compensation.  

So, all efforts are in vein.  

Y4J259

It is evident from the many, many questions posted here that legacy customers are unaware of the switch from rewards to points. Clearly, PM has failed to communicate properly for such a significant change. 

I'd suggest that most (all?) people who subscribe to a bottom-tier cell service do so entirely because of the total $$$ spent each month. Do you think they care how the bill is calculated by plan, rewards, loyalty, referrals, etc? No, they care only about the total money coming out of their account every month. So... to force this change to points, and by doing so, force thousands of customers into paying significantly higher bills is unethical. Why? You'll notice I didn't say illegal because they have fine print, but to convince thousands that they will stay on the rewards plan "as long as they remain with PM", and then changing just that is unethical. 

To make it worse, they have forced people into paying more (a "legal" loophole by changing the rewards program in a "legal" bait and switch strategy, and then removed the option for those customers to switch to a new plan as those plans are for new activations only. Disgusting practices. CCTS must look into this "legal" bait and switch loophole. Customers only care about the total $$$. 

If so many people didn't realize their plan is changing, how many will realistically log in every month or so to use points to buy bill credit? PM has intentionally not allowed auto crediting because they know most won't log in regularly. Again, very cynical. 

So, I want PM to allow auto bill credits when people "earn" points each month. So that using rewards is not an intentionally frustrating experience. 

It makes them money, that's all that matters.    Not what's 'right'.    Sadly.

HenF

With the Points program, it should remain my credit.  Now I have to pay more, it is now right.

vbs-b

It is peanuts really because it is temporary - no carry over.

Unless you use data heavily - it is of no use.

Tav2

Looks like they are burning up my "loyalty" data over my regular plan data... Anyone else?Screenshot 2024-05-16 9.56.32 PM.png

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As a customer of 3+ years I switched over to freedom as a response to this.

hi @LitlLdy yes, that $19 plan for everyone. But the most win are those on $25 plan as they pretty much pay the same without the old rewards 

EdN

Who did you move to, what was the plan you got and what is the cost and what are the referral perks?  TIA

Leavin

Has anyone heard back with a resolution from CCTS? This is typical anti-trust behaviour from our telecoms.

In the event anyone isn't already aware, here is the link to file a complaint to CCTS: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@am72 - I agree with you, although if you joined Public Mobile after January 25th 2022 you are automatically put in points so it may not apply for you.

But if it does, nothin we can do. Public Mobile has the right to change their TOS at any time but they have to give a 30 days notice of the change.

am72

This feels like a big betrayal to the old loyal costumers!

I used to have respect and loyalty to Public Mobile because of their old loyalty rewards that was an innovation and beneficial to it's costumers.

Koodo did the same thing to me previously and I was expecting better from Public Mobile!

Public Mobile lost My respect and Loyalty!

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LitlLdy - Yes, it is for all accounts that are existing.

yvandas

Thank you for letting me know.  I switched to the new $19 / 4G / 1GB plan.  My monthly bill went from $25 - $2 (for auto pay) - $3 (for loyalty) - $7 (for referrals) = $13 + $1.69 (HST) ie a monthly bill of $14.69 to $19 + $2.47 (HST) - $0.95 (autopay points) - $0.83 (loyalty points) - $7 (referrals points) = $12.69 (monthly equivalent cost).  So my bill has now gone down by $2 ($14.69 - $12.69) which is a 13.6% reduction.  I will still be paying $21.47 a month instead of $14.69 but the difference will be more than recuped over 12 month.  So, to be fair to PM, the switch to points was not that bad given the new $19 / 4G / 1 GB offering.  We should all move from the $25 / 3G / 1 GB to this new offering.  If only we could apply earned points to reduce our monthly bill withouth the $15 limit that would, I think, make most PM custommers happy.  It would not be as good as the old rewards system but would get pretty close to it.

PrettyFly

As promised, I ported out the other day leaving behind all the data and minutes I had saved.

All of a sudden, I have VoLTE, something PM refused to give me because I wasn't "whitelisted" even though it was whitelisted on both Koodo and Telus. I also have wifi calling too which is also nice.

More data too, unlimited minutes. Paying less than I was paying at Public. The big-head executives who made this decision lost a long-time customer who spent years under the Telus umbrella (all 3 brands, Telus, Koodo and PM).

Penny-wise, pound-foolish. Should have left the old subscribers alone, now there is ongoing churn.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Good news for anyone with $25 plan.

Existing customers should see a $19 plan for 1GB in 4G speed

so, the plan is now an upgrade from 3G, and you saved $6 and earn 0.95/month in points

so even without the legacy rewards, you are not losing money!!! 

(sorry, at this time, the good news is for $25 plan owners only)

@hTideGnow , I am still on the $15 Plan with 250mb of data at 3g speed & I see that plan available to switch to on my account.

Lucster

@jhhead wrote:

Well looks like I've been forced changed today. Still have not heard anything from Public Mobile or the CCTS regarding my complaint... (Which was accepted but no communication in 20+ days and this week emailed CCTS advising so)

Not a fan of the lack of updates and response from Public Mobile 😠

1000010078.png

Did you reach out to CCTS?  They are expected to get involved after 20 days.

marcnoel

Right.  Over the course of a year, the difference for loyalty is $ 50.00 ($ 60.00 max five years on Rewards, vs. 10 on Points), which, divided by 12, is $ 4.17 a month.  Add 75¢ back per month ($ 1.25 increase), and it equates to $ 5.42 per month increased expense, maximum.  When 15 points have accumulated (not 14), they can be applied to a payment.  The payments throughout the year will fluctuate, but the monthly average increase is a maximum of $ 5.42.  They may have gone from $ 8.00 to $ 15.00, but will still get something back along the way, so the average will be less.  Also, technically speaking, 15 is not twice 8.

jhhead

1000010085.png

Thanks for sharing. It appears $15 plan users can also make this change!

jhhead

Well looks like I've been forced changed today. Still have not heard anything from Public Mobile or the CCTS regarding my complaint... (Which was accepted but no communication in 20+ days and this week emailed CCTS advising so)

Not a fan of the lack of updates and response from Public Mobile 😠

1000010078.png

FY

Thank you so much! This is a great news for $25 plan  subscribers!

sunshine7

wrong first of all 5 years loyalty would be 5$ a month plus 2$ autopay with no referrals that would make 7$ a month automatically redeemed every month so on a 15$ plan he would have paid 8$ a month now he's paying the full 15 $ plus taxes so that's pretty much almost double what he was paying( taxes on 15$ is more than taxes on 8$ depending where you live) . Also with new plan points he gets only 0.75c a month in points (not 2$) that he cannot spend / use until he gets to 14points dollars that's about a little less than 19 months sure you get the 10$ points each anniversary year but that means you're locked in and can't spend/redeem those points money on your bill anytime soon and guess what you lose it all if you leave plus even if you stay and leave after the anniversary bonus you still lose a couple dollars on the autopay. Simple math cheers 

Need Help? Let's chat.