Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,591 REPLIES 5,591

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You're valid in being angry. This is completely unjust.

Bunnyhop

You're so right!

Bunnyhop

Thank you for your service. We need to Fine Public Mobile with each complaint made to CCTS.

Bunnyhop

Yes PM needs to do that!

Bunnyhop

I would wait as CCTS has denied PM's explanation for cancelling the old rewards program. I would also suggest you to file complaint as it will fine PM for screwing us over.

pm_user4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

One of the reasons I am on public mobile is that they have an awesome rewards platform. The new point system by comparison is quite terrible and definitely is worse than the rewards system.

Public mobile should reverse it's decision to move everyone to the points system.

dudesbot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Unfortunately, it seems Public Mobile has yet to alter their change. Currently, I'm scheduled to renew on the last day of April. Does anyone know what the chances are that I'll renew again on the old system? I know it says "starting in May" but they also said "joining public points is optional". I really don't like the new system.

Thanks

Bunnyhop

Thank you. They gotta be fined for this horrible betrayal.

Bunnyhop

If you people are pissed about this change. Here is a list of actions you can take against Telus.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/comments/1bwawjr/protest_against_public_mobile/

Matty1234

I submitted a complaint and it's been  accepted, I'm switching anyway but the idea of costing Public $140 plus them losing my revenue feels alright, a bit vindictive but I'm ok with that.

Hat

1000002733.png

 submitted first line complain to CCTS and stop automatic payment for it.

mikasik2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wolfcore wrote:

People keep comparing what PM is doing, to what these other companies have done, but just ignore the fact that PM literally told people that they'd be able to keep something forever (which these other companies usually don't do). There's a big difference there. One is expected, because everybody knows how fine-print works, while the other is a completely unethical move, and misleads a consumer. One is false advertising, the other isn't.

When I see Rogers promoting an internet plan for $50, I don't expect to keep that price forever, but if they literally told me that I would, then I'd expect that to be honored. I just find it funny how people are defending this action. It's one thing to argue whether they have the legal right to do something, but to try and convince people that they've done nothing "wrong" (Includes morally, yes), is just ridiculous. And saying that there shouldn't be backlash? That's even more hilarious.

Completely agree.  IMO if a company outright says you can keep something forever it should override any fine print and count as false advertising should the company take it away.  

NurseKaren

Hey there PM. I'm not cool with this forced change to your new points system. This literally isnt what I signed up for. I signed up for a loyalty rewards program, not this, and I do not accept your position that you can just force it onto me, especiallyl since initially you said it was optional. I reject these changes to our contract.

Oakestester

If you had filed a CCTS complaint they likely would've kept your old price. False advertising / unfair business practices is exactly what the CCTS is for. Companies are bound by their employees' actions, that's the entire concept of vicarious liability.

Just because legally the company is entitled to make price changes per the TOS doesn't mean that it's not an unfair business practice. That's why the CCTS is rejecting PM's objections to complaints; even if it's allowed to do it, the CCTS will determine if their decision was unfair.

I'm not your lawyer and this post is not intended to provide you with legal advice for your specific situation. I recommend you retain a lawyer if you wish to obtain legal advice for your specific situation.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ThunderingEarl - Yes, it is a super slap in the face for the people who are on the Legacy Rewards system. But most are fighting back with a "$140 CCTS complaint" - about 2 years worth of getting the Legacy rewards back for most customers.

ThunderingEarl

So I guess this is the part in the fine print where "terms and conditions can be changed at any time" comes into play? So the contract I entered into with Public Mobile can change, but only PM can change it? If this is meant to be a mutually beneficial arrangement maybe I should change things in the contract as well. Maybe I only want to pay $1 a month, does that work for you? I doubt it. This new Points program, which was originally optional, and is now being forced on customers is a real slap in the face. I signed up for the original rewards program you offered and now you pull the rug out from under everyone. Not cool. I would prefer to stay with the original program please and thank you. Rant over.

@Wolfcore wrote:

but just ignore the fact that PM literally told people that they'd be able to keep something forever (which these other companies usually don't do). 

HI @Wolfcore 

everything has to go back to fine print and the terms they posted.  Community replies are dangerous, as dangerous as the reply you got when you call helpdesk on the phone. 

I called Bell, the agent knows nothing said yes the price will be forever.  

Couple months later, Bell raised the price.   I called back and talked to the supervisor.  He said according to the fine print , which he sent me, that I will get the plan forever, which there is a plan code there they use internally.  But Bell reserves the right to adjust the price to the plan.  I said but your agent promised me.  He told me the agent was not Bell CEO , all they can do is follow the written terms which he can provide

So, you learned something here?

ashishg1

Got a reply for CCTS that they did not accept public mobile's argument and they have till April 23rd to respond. I believe if public mobile wanted to cancel the old reward and move people to new one they could have simply lowered the grandfathered plan price by an ongoing discount of however many $s they currently give and move people over to new points. Instead they chose the absolute scummy path. Lets see ill wait till April 23rd and if nothing is done (which is what i expect... because this is canada) then ill just switch providers.

Moved:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hTideGnow and @eyes, I have moved this interaction as it adds nothing to the thread

@eyes wrote:

According to PM. In print  ——-"in 5 years, you'll be saving $5/mo".

Maybe this is what we should also point out to the CRTC. 
ALSO unfortunately since I have noticed and undoubtedly also PM must have  noticed that only a few of us are responsible for the overwhelming posts on this thread. 

HI @eyes 

My pension statement sent me an update every year and said how much I will see when I retired

They changed the pension plan and it is no longer same, can CRTC helps?

oh I remember now,  projection does not mean they cannot update plan

Yup @Pasqualethedad , that's one of the asinine conditions of 'accepting' the data bonus.  

What's funny about that is none of us actually 'accepted' the data bonus, it was just added.

The other funny thing is many are unaware that lowering your plan value after receiving it removes the data bonus.

Ain't that sweet of them?  🙄

fixin1

@Pasqualethedad - That is because once you change plans to a lower value, you will lose the existing loyalty bonus data.

Also this is my new account from @fixin is my old account.

Pasqualethedad

Hi i got a text message from public mobile in march saying i have received my 30gb data loyalty bonus and started using it abit cause u have 150 days to use but as soon as i changed to the 15$ month plan the data bonus loyalty disappeared 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I have no issues with Oracle responses.

Most here are reasonable and understanding enough to realize that they're simply bringing BALANCE and SCOPE.

I only hope that everyone else seeks to understand their ultimate goal/destination first, then makes a choice.

Wolfcore

People keep comparing what PM is doing, to what these other companies have done, but just ignore the fact that PM literally told people that they'd be able to keep something forever (which these other companies usually don't do). There's a big difference there. One is expected, because everybody knows how fine-print works, while the other is a completely unethical move, and misleads a consumer. One is false advertising, the other isn't.

When I see Rogers promoting an internet plan for $50, I don't expect to keep that price forever, but if they literally told me that I would, then I'd expect that to be honored. I just find it funny how people are defending this action. It's one thing to argue whether they have the legal right to do something, but to try and convince people that they've done nothing "wrong" (Includes morally, yes), is just ridiculous. And saying that there shouldn't be backlash? That's even more hilarious.

Wolfcore

Pointing out facts isn't defending a company, it is providing all available information. I do get $20 soon to be 20 points per month, but that is totally eaten up and more by this change and how it affects my family.  I do not have the power to delete posts or ban members.  I can move and edit yes.  Oracles have been commenting about the amount of posts being removed as well as it isn't us and we are noticing large amounts as well.  I know of one member that reached out that they were banned and I would suspect that is from the spamming of the thread that they were doing.

Deleting, moving, editing, it's all the same to me. If a message is being removed from this thread, and being placed into some completely random section of the forum that nobody ever visits, it's the equivalent to deleting for me. At the end of the day, it's being removed from view, from this thread, and people are visiting this thread for information related to this topic, so if that information is being moved or altered, it has essentially the same effect as deleting.

In the thread that announced the points system it did say that customers could stay on the legacy rewards as long as they remained active plans in the FAQ.  When asked directly @J_PM said there were no plans to force a change, that was 2 years ago and plans change especially from the higher ups.  The community Manager of this would not be sitting in high level future planning meetings at Telus so she gave us the information she had at that time.  People talk about a promise, I have never seen the word promise anywhere in PM's wording.  (I know word manipulation).   People make a promise to be married forever, situations change and things don't work out.  Plans and goals change over time it happens.  If PM wasn't best for my family financially still I wouldn't be here I would be gone to wherever had the best options for my family.  In my time here we have moved a few family members accounts out of PM and eventually have come back as that is where we are getting the best value for waht we need.

I don't see the point you're trying to make. I don't care if "things change later on". When you make a promise, and then break that promise, of course there's going to be backlash later on. Don't promise people that you can keep something forever then; most companies don't. I also don't care what J_PM said, it's about what was told to people when PM lured them in as customers. J_PM saying that (7 years after introduction?) was just another attempt to break an agreement. 

So by providing the information I have that is defense, I can see how some may see that I see it is making sure all the information is out there.  I have always said this community is only as good as the information provided in it.  The reason I have loyalty to PM is because it is actually more loyalty to my wallet and my family finances and PM is providing the best options for us.  So if people consider me a Shill for making the best decisions for my family so be it.  When PM is no longer the best financial decision for us we will move on, for the same reason we moved here to SAVE MONEY.

Again, if people are calling you a shill, it's due to a culmination of everything I mentioned above. It's not just about you "providing information". It's about you responding to almost every single person who comments here, and seemingly acting as a spokesperson for the company, due to all of these messages acting in defense of them. It's also about the fact that you're literally being paid by the company for your services, and have been granted power that other users don't have. If I did the same thing you've been doing for example, people could call me a shill, but it would be more of a guess (in the literal sense), because they would have no other information to support that claim. 

Customers are not loyal to services like this, they are loyal to the best savings.  If they were loyal to the service providers there would be no porting between them.  So for all the broken "loyalty" comments everyone would port out in an instance if there was a service that suited them better (Price/service) and if they disagree they are making poor financial decisions.

Yes, people make "poor financial decisions" all the time. You could say that people who spend $10 on a coffee at Starbucks are objectively making a poor financial decision, because they could buy 5 coffees from McDonalds instead. Or they could buy 1 coffee, and spend the other $8 on something more important. But they buy from Starbucks because of the taste, and to them, that taste makes it a good financial decision to them. Same thing applies here. As I've mentioned, there are other reasons that exist outside of just money, and the value of a dollar is also different for different people. 

mikasik2

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@mikasik2 they are still rewarding you annually on your anniversary date.  All rewards programs will have something in them that will say they can be changed or eliminated(I know it is despised when I bring that up and am defending the company) air miles Petro points, scene points, they will all have it.

They are pretty clear about us keeping our rewards indefinitely.  If the fine print gives them an escape route then so be it. $10 annually doesn't compensate for $7 per month, as we can tell from people leaving in droves.

@mikasik2 they are still rewarding you annually on your anniversary date.  All rewards programs will have something in them that will say they can be changed or eliminated(I know it is despised when I bring that up and am defending the company) air miles Petro points, scene points, they will all have it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mikasik2

@eyes wrote:

Maybe this is what we should also point out to the CRTC. 

I included it in my complaint to the CCTC, definitely wouldn't hurt to raise more awareness.  I think you can reply to your email thread with them to add evidence and help make sure they see it.

eyes

Need Help? Let's chat.