Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,405 REPLIES 5,405

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai wrote:

@edeepm wrote:

Cant believe this hasnt been reversed yet

They had lots of time to prepare and lots of work has already been processed in the backend. It would be very doubtful that they will reverse this change. No one here wants this, but we are just their customers. 

You are correct on the amount of work that has been done. I have no skin in this game as I am on the points system. The user interface has improved drastically for those on the points system compared to the original roll out.

Tinop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Lol help them . NO. I can talk to a person with the competition for same cost . Bye bye 

Wolfcore

It's not what I "believe", it's not my opinion, it's what's factually written. If you don't understand what's written, that's not my problem. 

Wolfcore

I'm not arguing whether or not they have fine print. They do, I know this. I'm simply stating that they did make a promise, and then broke it. If your argument is that it was immediately broken due to their own ToS, then that's fine, it doesn't change anything. It was still a promise that was broken, and that's all I'm saying.

Believe all you can, good luck @Wolfcore 

don't get it wrong.  I hate the points system, I love to see you win and I will take the free ride to stay on legacy system.  

Wolfcore

It's actually worse. I was just being generous.

What it actually states, is that your tenure will continue to accumulate as long as your account remains active, then just below that, gives a complete breakdown of your earnings, and mentions the word "onwards", to let the customer know that they'll continue receiving an additional dollar off, for each year that follows.

They've already broken that promise when they capped it at 5.

Also, the chart is very clearly depicting the earnings that will come as long as your account remains active. So it's 2 in 1, you will continue to accumulate a dollar for every year you remain active, and then gives a breakdown of said accumulated earnings below it. What would nullify this, is if I were to become inactive, at least according to the English language.

Sounds like your case against me is a little weak.

qubn

I see! Thank you for all of that information, it is very appreciated.

So far, the experience with PM has not been too bad.

I was paying around 165$ per month with Rogers for 2 plans (without the phones, just the plans) and we had 50 GB shared together. The only benefit to being there was having the 5G working fine on my S20 5G.

Switched to the 50 GB plan at PM for both of our phones and it has been good. Only downside is that we don't have the option to use 5G on our phone model, but users have said that we should still be pulling high speeds in 5G regions. The support is also not their forte, but you are right, the community here is extremely helpful and I like it. The community response time is quite fast and resourceful. The user experience for both the website (mobile version) and the mobile application are also not super good, but you can still manage. And plus, they are improving them continuously.

I plan on staying here for a little while for sure.

kcorscadden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wolfcore I am sure if you read the fine print, it would say that Telus reserves the right to change or terminate the rewards program at any time.

Every company that has a rewards program has this in the fine print.

HI @qubn 

this does not affext you.  You will be earning Public Points and you won't get affected by that

Some people are on the legacy rewards, which to be honest, have better rewards than the current Public Points.  However, PM announced that the legacy rewards will be gone an everyone will earn the same Public Points. And to new subscribers like you, it is actually a fair move

So, don't get scared, you are all good.  you will earn 5% in points which no other carrier giving you the saving.  The service is decent.  Suppor tis not a strong field but you have the Community here to help.  Enjoy your savings!!!

Hi @Wolfcore what you circled does not means the loyalty rewards will stay forever, it simply means your account has to be active to earn the rewards.  Bring it to a lawyer and he will have the same conclusion

Sorry, this is a weak case not in your favour

qubn

May I ask why you and many others are changing companies on May 1st?

That is too specific and spiking my curiosity. (I literally joined PM this weekend)

Wolfcore

They actually did promise people something. They have it written everywhere, and it's very clear. Companies have been sued for far less in terms of false advertising. Whether or not you think it becomes null and void due to terms of service is a different question, but they definitely promised people something, in writing, convincing them to sign up.

staticcory_0-1709944676592.png

They promised that you would keep these rewards as long as you remain an active PM customer. It's pretty black and white right there. Sounds like a written agreement (a promise) if you ask me.

Guess what, if you were promised a lifetime warranty on those windows, and you have that in writing, you can take them to court (assuming you are correct, and the lifetime warranty covers exactly what they said it would cover, in the contract), and you would win. This is why courts exist. Consumer protection is a thing.

Hollister

@fixin wrote:

@sigdog wrote:

Does anyone know what happens to the ongoing rewards for past referrals? I looked in the FAQs but could not find any information.

Your referrals (Each of them) you will now earn 1 point per referral rather than $1 off your bill per person referral.

However, you cannot use any of those points off your bill until you have accumulated 15 points.

EdN
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thankyou, more weasel words from Public Mobile 

Bottomshelf

I hear cell reception can be sketchy depending upon where you are.  Where do you live?

EdN

Yes if they drop referrals then its all bets off.

If you're looking for a real sweet deal on referrals lucky mobile will give you and the person you refer $50 each ($5 x 10 months)

if you refer someone through public mobile they'd have to be a customer for over 4 years  for you to get that amount and they'd get $10 one time.

Under the current situation how likely is that?

Bottomshelf

Any "cash" rewards will be replace with points ( 1 point = $1).  If you are earning an $8 discount, you will lose this.  It will be replaced by a 5% reward; in your case 2 points equivalent to $2 ($40 x 5%). On your anniversary date you will 10 points equivalent to $10.  Referrals will earn 1 point (every 30 days as long as the referral remains a paying customer.  In order to use your points,  you will have to log into your account to see if your points balance qualify for discount.  For example, you will need 15 points to get a $15 credit for your next bill.

In your case, you will pay $40 plus taxes upfront.  Every month your account will be credited with 2 points (5% x $40).  If you run the numbers, you will see this is a losing proposition for the customer.
I'm currently paying $7 plus taxes on the $15 plan.  I will be losing $96 per year ($8 per month) notwithstanding the point rewards.  If you consider the points I will be getting .75 points ($15 x 5%), 10 points anniversary points and 2 points for referrals for a total of 21 points worth $21.  In other words I will be losing $75. 

For additional details on the point system refer to the FAQs.

@EdN wrote:

You got an email?  Haven't got one yet, thought they were going to send these out March 8

@EdN again they have used key words in there information.  Instead of saying Customers will receive an email they went and used Customers SHOULD receive and email by March 8.  They didn't use strong definitive wording.  Typical  wording for flexibile interpretation

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@edeepm 

The bonus add on on is good for 150 days.

Perhaps plan to at least exhaust that and any other credits you may have on your account before leaving- make sure to to somewhere with a good deal in the interim, there will likely be a few of them popping up in the coming weeks.

Michael6666

I have a feeling that 04/20 might be a date where I'm going to use up 280gb of data on speedtests.

Tinop

Pennies on the dollar... Freedom mobile is on the rise , this is actually made Public mobile lowered their prices on some promotions...   It's not from the goodness of their hearts.

Vote with your wallet and unsubscrbe from any Telus services when you find a deal from others...  The referrals are next to go . The trust is broken...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @edeepm 

remember you cannot downgrade the plan just because you want to used up the data.  So, only way is to use more data than you used to , waste them all with Netflix and youtube  🙂

hi @kb_mv 

smart.  Be loyal to your wallet.  Stay if it gives you with the price and not because you need to be loyal to it.  Go if you find a cheaper one

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No more rewards for the past referalls.

EdN

You got an email?  Haven't got one yet, thought they were going to send these out March 8

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I have 2 accounts with PM and have been here about 5 years. I am most certainly NOT a loyal customer. Never have been. PM paid me to stay with the legacy rewards just as they paid everyone else pre points. The fact that I stayed because of that does not make me loyal. It makes me budget conscious. No other provider came anywhere close to the rewards I was getting here with PM. Not a single one.

I have checked out other providers and note that some plans that people are mentioning on here are for new activations only. I wonder how their loyal customers feel about that?

I will change providers if and when I find the same or better plan I have now for less.

Stelawrat

I didn't receive a text, but I did receive an email on March 6th., so I can't complain. But I can see how this is a serious concern people have, especially for those with referrals. I don't have any, so I'm clear there as well. 

I wouldn't want the responsibility of having to explain this to a referral whose bill suddenly jumps in May, seemingly without any explanation. I wouldn't want to have to call my referrals to confirm whether or not they're aware either. 

Judging from your posts, I know that some of you have more years than I do, yet haven't received notification, so the emails aren't being sent on a seniority basis.

It would make sense to target those with referrals in the next batch, but I suspect that it's being done alphabetically. My surname begins with a B. 

HI @WindyOrbits 

they are going to add to your account end of March

WindyOrbits

Hi @Chalupa_Batman and @edeepm I just logged in and don't see 240gb in my account.. where did you go to find it in your account?

I also still haven't received an official email from PM regarding this change.. I wonder if it's just me or there are others who also haven't yet received the email. 

Need Help? Let's chat.