cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: This weekend only, get the $50 8GB plan for $40/mo for 6 months

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of June 24th, 2019: If you were charged $50/mo, when you activated on the $50/mo Ready made plan during the eligible promo dates, you will be automatically credited back the difference and moved to the correct promo plan for the next 5 payment cycles. Your payment cycle will not change. A text message notification will be sent to confirm your plan correction on June 25th.

Hey Community,

From June 22 to June 23, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, new customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on the $50 8GB plan pay only $40/mo for their first 6 months.

Plan details:

•      30-day plan
  •      8 GB Data at 3G speed
  •      +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  •      Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  •      Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •      Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get this Offer:

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Activate in-store OR visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate at home.
  3. Follow the step-by-step instructions for activating online until you get to step 3, “Plans and Add-Ons”.
  4. Be sure to select the plan “Limited time: $50 8GB plan for $40 for first 6 months”
  5. Continue through the rest of the steps.

Here’s what else you should know:

•      Only the Ready-made $50/mo plan is eligible for this offer.
  •      Eligible customers will pay $40/mo for months 1-6, then resume paying $50/mo from month 7 and onwards
  •   If you switch your rate plan, OR fall into a suspend or inactive state while on the promotion, you will no longer be eligible for this promotion.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

105 REPLIES 105

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Check out the competition in the UK kinda depressing when you compare it to what pay here.

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/smarty-mobile-sim-only-deal-unlimited-...

I keep seeing this trope that our prices are too high. My primary (non-PM) line is $39 for 8GB LTE data with unlimited text and calling with 1GB of roaming free every month. Might be a little more expensive that the one you highlighted, but better value than US plans by and large. 

The problem isn't that we don't have good deals out there, the problem is that most don't seem to know how to find them. PM is not a good deal because it's mostly crippled data speeds. It serves my purpose for a second line that doesn't get used much, but I would never pay these rates if it was a primary phone and I needed real data. 

I will agree with you to a certain degree, but not totally.  A lot of customers are terrible with their money and don't shop wisely.  That said, even the wise shopper will not be able to find your $39/8GB plan.  Tell me what flaming hoops I need to jump through to get that and I will take a run at it.

As for the crippled speed plans that the tier three flanker brands sell, they appear to be of lower quality and therefore lower value.  If the speed is fast enough to do the job, then much of the lost value in lower data speed is imagined.  I have been referring customers to Public Mobile literally the day I joined and found the service to offer good value (relatively to their Canadian peers).  I continued to do so even when they started flogging throttled data plans.  Not a single referral left because of data speed being an issue.  The statistics are hard to refute.

As for comparing to other countries, the conversation has little mileage in that we cannot get these plans.  A better way to convert the topic is to discuss the lack of competition instead.

I can't tell you the specific hoops ... it's not really appropriate on a PM board. But, my two plans before that were $37 for 10GB LTE (same carrier ... switched off that for the included roaming) and $47 for 4.5GB LTE on a mainline brand (not flanker) before that. So, it's not just an isolated stroke of good luck. 

One suggestion I make to everyone is to check whether their employer has an EPP deal. RBT have plenty of these with most of their corporate clients and they usually run 30% off normal rates. 

As for your last point ... I completely agree on the competition. There's really only one company positioned to do that with plenty of cash on hand and the infrastructure to do it and that's Shaw. I'm hoping they make a serious push for 5G spectrum and keep up their current disruptive nature ... that will help us all. 

@JackQuint wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Check out the competition in the UK kinda depressing when you compare it to what pay here.

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/smarty-mobile-sim-only-deal-unlimited-...

I keep seeing this trope that our prices are too high. My primary (non-PM) line is $39 for 8GB LTE data with unlimited text and calling with 1GB of roaming free every month. Might be a little more expensive that the one you highlighted, but better value than US plans by and large. 

The problem isn't that we don't have good deals out there, the problem is that most don't seem to know how to find them. PM is not a good deal because it's mostly crippled data speeds. It serves my purpose for a second line that doesn't get used much, but I would never pay these rates if it was a primary phone and I needed real data. 

I will agree with you to a certain degree, but not totally.  A lot of customers are terrible with their money and don't shop wisely.  That said, even the wise shopper will not be able to find your $39/8GB plan.  Tell me what flaming hoops I need to jump through to get that and I will take a run at it.

As for the crippled speed plans that the tier three flanker brands sell, they appear to be of lower quality and therefore lower value.  If the speed is fast enough to do the job, then much of the lost value in lower data speed is imagined.  I have been referring customers to Public Mobile literally the day I joined and found the service to offer good value (relatively to their Canadian peers).  I continued to do so even when they started flogging throttled data plans.  Not a single referral left because of data speed being an issue.  The statistics are hard to refute.

As for comparing to other countries, the conversation has little mileage in that we cannot get these plans.  A better way to convert the topic is to discuss the lack of competition instead.

JackQuint

@geopublic wrote:

@iliketotalk wrote:

wow thats impresive that;s 18.75 pounds x1.68 canadian=31.50 dollars

@iliketotalk  Impressive and depressing at the same time.

wow thats impresive that;s 18.75 pounds x1.68 canadian=31.50 dollars

JackQuint

There's nothing wrong with discounts to attract new customers. Standard in many businesses and especially in wireless and telecom. 

However, as long as PM insists on crippling plans like to this 3G speed, it's not competitive at it's normal price which means it needs to be discounted to attract new customers in any event. 

Alisa63
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the information.

@gcata76 holy crap I didn't know!!

gcata76
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

👍

@gcata76 wrote:

I tried to change my plan and the option isn't there. It seems it's only for new activations.

This is mentioned in the first message post of this annoucement thread and on the publicmobile.ca homepage.  Either way, this isn't a new price plan.  It is a plan that has long been around with a discount that will be applied for new customer activations.

@gcata76 wrote:

It seems that it's for new activations only 😞

It's not...seems...IT IS for new activation only!Smiley Wink

gcata76

I tried to change my plan and the option isn't there. It seems it's only for new activations.

gcata76

It seems that it's for new activations only 😞

shskr

I signed up for email notification as well and just checked my email and nothing there. I guess it will come out on Monday morning. Smiley Sad

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@popping wrote:

Thanks for the weekend promo. 

This plan will sell for itself.  Time to refer more friends to PM.

Too bad it is new activation only.  Otherwise, I will switch to this promo.

Existing customers are away neglected.  Nothing new.  

I have to disagree existing customers have been included in various promos in the past. 

It is also very common in this industry to offer incentives for new activations/customers, ie gift cards from best buy, Costco ect.   This is just the same thing just 10 over 5 months. 

@marspice wrote:

Hey there, I just activated last week. Does this mean I cannot switch to this plan?  Only for brand new activiations? TIA!

Public Mobile always has some sort of deal for new customers.  Never pay retail.  

@popping wrote:

Thanks for the weekend promo. 

This plan will sell for itself.  Time to refer more friends to PM.

Too bad it is new activation only.  Otherwise, I will switch to this promo.

Existing customers are away neglected.  Nothing new.  

@srlawren wrote:

@Alan_K cool!

Hey out of curiosity, I did the "Sign up for Deal Alerts" thing on the plans page and was curious what would happen the next time a promo plan was announced here.  So far, I'd say:  nothing.  Are you planning to send a notification email to people that subscribed?  In the future, can that be at the same time the announcement goes live?  (You know, like, coordinated!)

Yet another broken feature.  I didn't receive notification also.

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

From June 22 to June 23, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, new customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on the $50 8GB plan pay only $40/mo for their first 6 months.

How to Get this Offer:

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.

Slight flaw for anyone ordering SIM card online (assuming they haven't got one previously and are sitting on the sidelines, waiting for a deal)... by the time the SIM card arrives, the promo will be over!

What a huge marketing failure.  Online SIM ordering fails to really be an option here.  Maybe those who on June 1st who ordered more that 1 SIM can make use of those extra SIMS now?

I have to email accounts on the new deals blast, and the deal blast has yet to do anything if the wick was lit...I think it has fizzled out.  Starting to wish I live in Quebec to make use of offers from Fizz.

finally, the best reason to complain, the new user activation requirement.  Such a huge disappointment for loyal customers and very recent new activations.

It’s great that I’m still on a rocking plan from 2016.  I want to stay with Public Mobile because of the great network, the community, and of course the rewards.  Failing to allow long term members of this service to easily enjoy the chance to upgrade plans on super deals is wrong.

Sad... very, very, sad indeed.

endokendo

This new promo is for new activations only...how about allowing current subscribers to access this promo?

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Will spread the words out!

SD08

@Alisa63 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

•      Eligible customers will pay $40/mo for months 1-6, then resume paying $50/mo from month 7 and onwards
  •   If you switch your rate plan, OR fall into a suspend or inactive state while on the promotion, you will no longer be eligible for this promotion.

I just activated this $50/month plan yesterday, June 20. What does “Only the Ready-made $50/mo plan is eligible for this offer” mean? Can I avail this on my next renewal? Thank you.

@Alisa63  Ready Made means the plan that is listed on its own in the plan selector, as opposed to one where you pick and choose the individual components from the plan builder. As per the terms of the OP, since you activated on Jun 20, you signed up too early to be eligible for this promo, which is available for activations only from Jun. 22-23.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alisa63 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

I just activated this $50/month plan yesterday, June 20. What does “Only the Ready-made $50/mo plan is eligible for this offer” mean? Can I avail this on my next renewal? Thank you.

It means the plan on the list of plans. There's also a build your own plan area.

No. New activations only.

Alisa63
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

srlawren

@dabr wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@dabr  this is the first promo since the promo sign up.  We have to expect bugs in the software. The promo starts tomorrow, maybe the email gets sent when the promo is live, not ahead of time.

But should it fail I guess it's better not sending, than sending too late

Hopefully, you're right that the software might just need a tweek or fix.  Yes it's possible that perhaps it'll get sent out after midnight too. 

@dabr @mimmo my guess is this was a human error rather than a system one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@dabr  this is the first promo since the promo sign up.  We have to expect bugs in the software. The promo starts tomorrow, maybe the email gets sent when the promo is live, not ahead of time.

Hopefully, you're right that the software might just need a tweek or fix.  Yes it's possible that perhaps it'll get sent out after midnight too. 

mimmo

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@SD08 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@SD08, @srlawren,  dont worry I'm sure the email will come on Monday. 🙂 this is PM after all:) 

@mimmo 

Well, I'm here often enough to catch the deals anyway.  I just enjoy signing up for non-existent things that I don't really need, so overall this is working out perfectly so far.  Smiley Tongue

Agree, I don't need most of these deals either, but was hoping for something for someone visiting for a few weeks but not this particular deal though.  Would have been nice for the extra add-on data special like the one offered a couple of weeks ago.  Oh well:)

But I'm still curious if anyone else got the alerts.

SD08

@mimmo wrote:

@SD08, @srlawren,  dont worry I'm sure the email will come on Monday. 🙂 this is PM after all:) 

@mimmo 

Well, I'm here often enough to catch the deals anyway.  I just enjoy signing up for non-existent things that I don't really need, so overall this is working out perfectly so far.  Smiley Tongue

Need Help? Let's chat.