cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Top Contributors - May 2020

@computergeek541 wrote:

The implications that I do not deserve top 1% are very disappointing.  I've stayed silient about this part until now, but the rewards are decided by a computer. This arguing is the type of stuff that makes me not want to come here on some days.

There is plenty of room under the bus, welcome!  You are not the first to be tossed under and you won't be the last.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

I apologise if you took my comment as meaning you didn't earn your top 1% badge. It was a compliment.....i did say your part of the dream team. Or did you take that as sarcasm? Again my apologies for the misunderstanding?

Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It's more of the talk of how I almost magically went up in the leaderboard and the mention of moved threads that might have put me ahead. Specifically, I did not move that large thread discussing bravos.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 of course you didn't 😉

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@darlicious , @pm-smayer97  it also could be that it a marketing tool/ transparency tool, to say hey we gave out rewards.

As for the the shout out, leader board, I am sure there was reasoning behind thoseythose decisions.

As for determining who got what if it's that important for you, the tools are available and you just need to take   it upon yourself to do the leg work.

Maybe it's time to focus on the core function of the community (providing support)  rather than dwelling on statistics,  the constant bickering/ tracking Bravo's, speculation  on rewards based on Bravo's etc.  I'm sure it will lead to a much more enjoyable experience for all involved.

Absolutely it IS a marketing tool. Of course it is. We all know that is part of their selling point.

But if PM was truly worried about threads like this garnering "bonuses" of whatever kind, they could easily post and lock the thread...but they do not. The problem arises when people get into snits and complain about someone trying to game the system...people get VERY defensive and protective.

Not sure why any one cares so much...after all, it is not like there is a lot of money at stake...most people, even when they try will only earn a small amount. They can get ANY job or trade or invest and earn more money that can be earned here. So I do not know why so many get all worked up about it....but enough did...that is why there is no Leaderboard anymore. Pointless, as I pointed out.

And as I have said, I do like musing about their system...for one main reason...I like playing with numbers. Another forum I am in (for which I am one of the equivalent "oracles" for a product with a much bigger customer base) for the longest time we ran a thread about different number patterns we see in real life...just for fun. It keeps people engaged on a lighter note.

I agree...too much bickering over nothing...  making mountains out of mole hills...It would be a much more pleasant place if people would just "live and let live" (as long as no harm was being done) and not be so exacting.

Highlighted
Oracle

@pm-smayer97, in your example above using 500 participants you would be giving out rewards to 455 people or 91% of the participants.

If you have 500 participants and 50% is the lowest reward we then can say that only 250 people should get rewards. so 1% would be 5, 5% = 20 (25-5), 10%=25 (50-25), 25%=75 (125-50). 50%=125 (250-125).  In brackets, I have subtracted the number of higher reward winners as they would also be included in that current top percentage.  This would give you the 250 reward winners which are the top 50% of the participants.

Added: If we base the rewards on the top levels just on those that reach a "required level of participation" like 500 met the criteria but only half would get rewards. 1%=2.5 round up to 3, 5% 10(13-3), 10%=12(25-13), 25% =38 (63-25), 50%= 62 (125-63).  I rounded up all the .5 numbers= 125 members earning rewards.  We can do all the "guessing" we want but we need to remember that the rewards are a bonus.

This was done just for my enjoyment of numbers.  I am not saying these numbers represent how PM designates rewards as I do NOT know their formula.

Edited again as I forgot the NOT part.  

Thank you for the message to the person who noticed this!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13yes thanks...that is actually correct...I just was doing a quick reply to communicate the gist of the idea but should have included the subtraction from other levels.  Been a while since I spent the time thinking it all the way through. oops.

P.S. I did not check your numbers but again, the general concept is the valid.

BUT like you said, we do not know the actual formula

Highlighted
Oracle

@darlicious, back in 2016 there was also another level between 1% and Oracles it was 0.5%.  As you stated there is probably a minimum amount of posts/bravos required to get in the reward section.  Once that level is met I am wondering if that is where PM then decided the 1%, 5%.... from as the number of reward recipients has decreased it may be chosen from the qualifying group and not all the participants for the month.

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious

"new father with his 10th child can't slow him down @Naepalm , @gblackma and @computergeek541 are the new public mobile support dream team"

Lol if that cant slow him down haha
Its been pretty quiet around here though I can check in 2 hours later and only one new question has been asked. Looks like now that people are starting to get back to work the questions are slowing. I have noticed @gpixel and @RossN have really stepped up recently.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Thank you to everyone who participated in helping out in the community. Awesome job!

Need Help? Let's chat.