cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

Forewarned is forearmed, and thank you for the heads-up, @Catherine_T.

Implementing a two-factor authentication (2FA ) by PM for change of SIM might be well worth the consideration. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

When I saw this topic in the Announcement heading, I was initially relieved thinking PM had made some changes which would prevent SIM jacking (at least mostly) from occurring in the first place.  However, that doesn't seem to be case and it's seriously disappointing. 

All the information in this announcement is mostly already known by regulars to this forum.   Most of the SIM-jacking (seems) to happen to people who rarely visit this site and are only aware something is wrong when they're suddenly no longer able to use their phones.  Some of us don't use our phones (that is for phoning/texting purposes) on a regular basis, so we may not become aware that a SIM-jack has even happened for a long period, by which time serious damage to all sorts of accounts can be done.  Plus the wait time to get a response from moderators after submitting a ticket/message just takes way too long (especially when they're backlogged) and just further compounds an already unacceptable situation.

I don't understand why requiring a PIN (the one we already have for making changes via 611 should suffice?) to change SIM in the self serve account cannot be quickly implemented.  IMO that would at least reduce a lot of these SIM-jacking incidents.   

BTW changing a PIN (IIRC as it's been awhile since I did this) usually requires DOB plus couple of other verification questions.

Sorry about the rant, but I just think this problem should have been sorted out a while ago!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr As somewhat of a regular I felt the same way when I saw the thread posted. We have seen an awful lot of these recently. I thought PM was going to provide some insight as to what they saw as the way forward. Alas....

ShawnC13
Oracle

@daki28 wrote:

That's what I said earlier, if PM cannot do some extra protection, just remove it. My tradeoff if I ever need this option (and for 20 year haven't had ) is to go to store and do it there. Prove your identity somehow and it's all good. 

What store would you be going to and who are you showing your identity to?  None of the retail locations have account access, even the PM Kiosks can only do setup and nothing to do with account issues.  Or are you saying pick up a sim at a retailer and then prove identity to the PM Moderators (which could still take 48 hours *or more*)

The PIN option mentioned seems like a reliable, responsible way ahead now it is to see if PM can implement and we know that around here it is at about the same speed the government implements practical solutions.

I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click the  in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *

daki28
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13  OK, but that was one of the options and if it is not possible, then something else needs to be done. My point is that need to change SiM card is not something you do all the time and I'm happy to do some extra steps in order to be more 'secure' and not lose phone number. Is that PIN or something else, I'll leave that up to PM. Otherwise, I'm sure many customers will not be happy and stay with them, regardless of great pricing and rewards. I just don't want to keep checking if I have service and my phone number is in danger to be taken. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@daki28 wrote:

I just don't want to keep checking if I have service and my phone number is in danger to be taken. 

@daki28 You don't need to keep checking if you have a proper secure password and you practice good online security. If you use your password anywhere else you should go in and change it to something like this: ArUL46g4dYFKsA

All of my online accounts have random generated passwords and I feel secure.

mimmo
Oracle

Why not do both pin and remove sim change.

Pm noticed porting fraud and removed the ability for customers to do it  for a year. Why not remove the sim change feature till a more robust method is implemented.  I think the inconvience of messaging mods to request a sim change far outweighs  having to contact bank's etc...

My biggest concern / question is why are the hackers not changing passwords once they access the account... Seems counterintuitive to change sim and not account password.

daki28

@kb_mv My password is secure as a password can be. I'm an IT professional and I know very well what I do online and how to stay safe. If you think that your 'ArUL46g4dYFKsA' password is 'safe and secure', then good for you. That is a good password if you want to protect yourself from somebody quickly seeing and remembering, but for 'data breach' or computer algorithm, that is just combination of letters and numbers, and it will be cracked at some point if somebody wants to do it. You do your part to protect yourself (as I do) but PM needs to do their part too (as much as they can). And with today's technology, that is not hard nor expensive. That's my point here, not how to 'protect myself'. I'm doing it already. 

daki28

@mimmo wrote:

Why not do both pin and remove sim change.

My biggest concern / question is why are the hackers not changing passwords once they access the account... Seems counterintuitive to change sim and not account password.

@mimmo That is my biggest concern too, as since they are in your account, why not to change password (everyone knows how to do it) and give themselves more time to do what they are after. For me it is more that they change sim without even getting into your account and then no 'good' password can help you. Like they have some 'back door' to do it. 

Well, I would love to be 'wrong' here. 

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

Oops.jpeg

Need Help? Let's chat.