cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
softech
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: SIM Swap Fraud

@Catherine_T   you have a link to sumbit a ticket, which is in fact still just the Chatbot (Originally I was so happy I thought PM started a new ticket system/queue for SIM Swap...sadly not!!)   Can you confirm how quick your team will response?  Issue now is it takes way too loooooooooong for mod to reply in such situation.  

I understand the SLA is 48 hours, it is ok for normal Q&A, but in case of SIM Swap Fraud (or also other Fraud issues), can't you prioritize the ticket and have a better response time like within 2 hours?   

I know there also 2 Fraud Hotlines.. sounds great.. BUT.. we called there, it goes directly to voicemail.  the voice mail message also clearly said you will reply within 48 hours.  So, the hotline is not so hot afterall. (Imagine you call 911 and you got a voicemail saying they will call back within 8 hours.. )

Also, responding within 48 hours is not the worst part.  As you know, these ticket has lots of back and forth.  The first response is within 48 hours and you asked the user some questions.  They reply it and chances are it will be at least another 2-8 hours wait if not 48 hours.  This back and forth at least 2 or 3 times so issue wouldn't get resolve for at least 3 or 5 days.  For Fraud related issue, I think it is too long.

I hope PM will give a high priority to SIM Fraud ticket and will agree to response A LOT quicker.

thanks

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@softech wrote:

I know there also 2 Fraud Hotlines.. sounds great.. BUT.. we called there

@softech  Where did you find these numbers to call? I know the numbers for Canadian Anti-Fraud / Equifax / Transunion. But the numbers for telus/bell fraud. I would like to write them down. Thx

softech
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RobertQc  we have member got simjacked earlier and the mod gave these phone numbers:

647-837-7030.
1-844-474-4141

but honest.. not useful.   It goes straight to the voicemail.   It didn't just say reply within 48 hours.. it says 2 business days!!!

daki28
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@z10user4  I'm the same, I like doing as much as I can do on my own. But the question here is how often do you do this? I have a cell phone for 20 years and never had to change SIM (unless I changed provider). This just makes it easier for SiM hijacking. So, if PM cannot protect me by adding some extra layer of security like pin, sending code to phone or separate password for SiM change, then I'd rather not to have that feature.
Some other 'small' things.. I'm trying to change my password and just getting 'incorrect password format'. Turns out it is that password cannot be longer than 20 characters. But why? And why PM doesn't tell me that. What does it cost them to store extra few bites of data and our accounts will be more protected to start with. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@daki28 @z10user4 I wonder how difficult it would be to implement the SMS authorization that is used for port outs to this?

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv : I was rightly corrected on that idea that well what about a lost or stolen phone? There's no receiving an SMS then. So I retreated back to the idea of the PIN required when changing the SIM.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@kb_mv : I was rightly corrected on that idea that well what about a lost or stolen phone? There's no receiving an SMS then. So I retreated back to the idea of the PIN required when changing the SIM.

@z10user4 I had not considered that. PIN it is....

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@z10user4 I had not considered that. PIN it is....

It is absolutely up to PM to do everything reasonably possible to stop SIM swapping from happening at source.  I'm not fully convinced they are.  It is THEIR systems (and/or Mod's - hope not???) which are allowing an unauthorized user to make significant and impactful changes to their REAL customer's accounts.

It is equally important for ALL users to do the same diligence - and some have no clue (even after extensive coaching) how to mitigate against themselves from being a target. 

This message from PM is a small start in that it at least recognizes that PM considers this to be worthy of air-time on the Community.   But what about all those users who could care less to read or follow Community postings?   Indeed, it seems most SIM hack victims result in users creating a Community account after the hack to plead for help.

@z10user4  , with a PIN option, if the hacker sent a Mod request to change the PIN before doing anything, how does that get processed & get communicated back to the rightful customer?  Is it via text to the registered phone number or by private message to the user's attached Community account?

will13am
Oracle

@z10user4 wrote:

@Catherine_T : How about some actual news. How about a real announcement of how you actually care about your customers and have implemented a PIN at the point of Change SIM?

This whole rambling thing is old news and doesn't do or say anything useful. We all already know this and have been saying all of this time and again as these frauds have mounted in numbers.

If you cared, you would have implemented the porting confirmation on your own rather than waiting for the CRTC to mandate it. If you cared you would implement a PIN required at the point of an account using the Change SIM function on your own rather than waiting for the CRTC to mandate it (if they do).

Just do it. If you care. Otherwise, it's all useless fluff to put up appearances.

You made some excellent points on improving security.  Often the vulnerabilities are borne out of conveniences.  I think implementing a PIN requirement for SIM card change is something that can be implemented with reasonable dispatch.  As for the porting process, I doubt that any one carrier can take unilateral action in a transaction that involves a second carrier.  A coordinated effort is needed.  

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@will13am : The porting out SMS is now a moot point driven by the CRTC but since apparently all we see here are the marketing types, then wouldn't it be a marketing coup to say hey look at us we're protecting our customers and those guys over there are not. Come over or stay here because we care about our customers. Marketing.

@HALIMACS : A PIN change result is sent via SMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.