cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report spam text messages sent to your smartphone

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Spam text messages are unsolicited and generally unwanted commercial advertisements sent to wireless phones via text or picture/video messaging.

Spam messages are not sent by Public Mobile. These fraudulent text messages can entice the recipient to provide personal information including bank account numbers in exchange for some sort of “prize” or reward.

How to tell if a message is from Public Mobile:

• We will always identify ourselves in a text message. For example, " Public Mobile here.." 
  • Our messages will be sent from Public from 611 or a 4 digit short code
  • You can see a list of our core text messages here or post your question here on the Community if you have a question about a message you’ve received

Spam text messaging is an increasing problem worldwide. With your help, we are committed to fighting spam and are working to minimize it across our network.

What to do if you think you’ve received a spam text message

• Forward the spam message to the short code 7726 (SPAM) so that we can start an investigation. If you receive a number of spam texts, we recommend putting 7726 into your contact list so that you don't need to remember the numbers.
  • Don't respond directly to a phone number where you believe the spam text originated. Responding alerts the spammer that your number is genuine.
  • If you're not able to view the number or if it's email spam, forward us the entire message (along with the full header if it's an email).

It's free to report spam

Reporting Spam to 7726 is free. Messages forwarded to 7726 don't count toward your data or Messaging usage package.

How to forward a text message from your phone to 7726

Forwarding methods will vary, depending on your phone.

• iPhone:
    • Touch and hold the message
    • Select More.
    • Select the message you want to forward, then select Arrow in the bottom right corner
    • Enter 7726
    • Select Send
  • Android and Windows:
    • Press the message (being careful not to activate a link)
    • Choose Forward (from the menu)
    • Forward to 7726
  • BlackBerry:
    • Open the message
    • Using the Menu key select Forward
    • Forward to 7726

14 REPLIES 14

HI @Vagamom   maybe this helps?

To prevent an email address from sending text messages to your Android device,

1. you’ll first need to create a contact entry for it:

Open the “Messages” app.
Find the text message then long-press it.
At the top, choose “Add Contact.”
Tap “Add Contact” again to confirm.
Then select “Create new contact.”
Enter a name for the contact in the “Name” text field.

2. Then block the contact ou just created:

Open the “Phone” app.

Go to the “Contacts” tab.

Find the contact entry created previously then tap on the name.

At the top right, tap the three-dotted menu icon.

From the pull-down menu, select “Block numbers.”

Now confirm you want to block that contact by choosing “Block.”

Vagamom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am getting daily texts from an email address madajah@lookoncode.net  The text won't let me forward it without first downloading the content which I am obviously not going to do. There is no phone number associated so I can't add it to the blocked number list either. What can I do to get my number away from this spammer?

miss_kitty

Thanks for sharing the screen grab - I was looking at the wrong place (duh!)

miss_kitty

Awesome, thanks!

@miss_kitty wrote:

Thanks! Unfortunately, there is no envelope icon above my post - could it be that the moderator is retired? Not sure how to proceed...

No retirement for the moderator...Smiley Wink here the envelopp...just need to write moderator_team in SEND TO...

eee.png

miss_kitty

Thanks! Unfortunately, there is no envelope icon above my post - could it be that the moderator is retired? Not sure how to proceed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@miss_kitty wrote:

When I reported spam to 7726, the texts counted against my messaging usage 😞

How can I can this fixed?

Kinda makes sense that it should don't you think? You texted something out. It obliged. It counted.

Yes but for anyone on limited texting plan, it would defeat the purpose of reporting spam.

Yeah. Thanks. I read the whole thread and it's not supposed to count. I deleted. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@miss_kitty wrote:

Kinda makes sense that it should don't you think? You texted something out. It obliged. It counted.

Yes but for anyone on limited texting plan, it would defeat the purpose of reporting spam.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@miss_kitty wrote:

You should contact the Moderator_Team via the envelope icon right above your post and ask for ask them to reset the texts.  With a limited text plan they should correct it.  It might take 2-48 hours for them to respond back to you though.

miss_kitty

Habsy

I don't think it does work. I tried it and got an auto response "Thank you. Please reply with the spam phone # or email." When I did I got the same auto respponse. 

mmyyz

Hi, just wondering if the 7726 spam reporting short code still works. I saw a ‎09-28-2016 post from a customer receiving spam texts, but the community didn't suggest that the user should report the spam. Does this 7726 shortcode work still?

Need Help? Let's chat.