cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS support with international device

Nonever
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've had the same physical sim card since 2021. Previously I had a Google Pixel 4a device and all text services worked perfectly.

A few weeks ago I purchased an international version of the Nothing Phone 2a and put in my sim card. Generally everything seems good, but I cannot make the MMS service function.

The RCS chat service works, but is not a viable alternative as not all of my contacts can receive or send them.

If I search in Settings I get a result that says MMS is turned off, and when I click it Settings takes me to the Messages app advanced settings page. However, on that page the MMS option is hidden and not actionable. I think this means the network is not offering MMS support to the device 

Looking around online I see that Telus made some changes around MMS this year. Trying to adapt their recommended APN settings doesn't seem to help.

Question 1: Does anyone know more about what they changed, or how it might effect me?

I also found this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NothingTech/comments/1egukms/nothing_phone_2a_canada_mms_issues/

It gives me some hope, but the stated solutions do not seem to help in my case. Also, the solution seems very suspect to me, but they do report success.

Question 2: Does anyone know how to make my MMS service function?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Nonever
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay you've inspired me to play with the APN settings again.

I was able to make it work; here is what I learned.

The capitalization of the APN didn't matter.

The default MMS Proxy is an IP address, and I had to change it to mmscproxy.mobility.ca for MMS to work.

However, I also had to change the default MMS port from 80 to 8799.

Those two changes have made it work, both required and no others (from the default).

Thanks for your help!

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Try to use native texting app and not 3rd party app.
DATA has to be on in order to send/receive MMS even though data allowance from your plan will not be used.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nonever 

you might have to update the APN with the SP.MB.COM all cap

and you might need to download some app to allow you to create a new APN for this update.  Some people used "MyTechSuite"

ave:

APN: SP.MB.COM
Proxy:
Port:
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>
Server:
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS Port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms
         or    default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
           (might need to include DUN for hotspot, please note case sensitive)
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
                or  Turn APN on/off APN turned on
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) type: GID
MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator)value: 4D

Need Help? Let's chat.