Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing the $35 1.5GB Plan with a $30 2GB Plan

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community, 

On Friday, August 7, we are launching a new $30 2GB plan available for a limited time only. As a result, as of Thursday, August 6th 2020, 11:59 PM ET, the following price plan is being expired:

• $35 1.5GB Plan

If you have the $35 1.5GB plan today and want to continue with it, no action is required. However, if you switch to another plan you will not be able to switch back to the $35 1.5GB plan after August 6, 2020 as it will no longer be available.

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans

Thank you for choosing Public Mobile! 

-Public Mobile Community Team

Edited to include “available for a limited time only” (Change made on August 6th 2020, 10:25AM ET)

114 REPLIES 114

@gpixel wrote:

that may be partially true BUT what has often made prepaid attractive is appealing to the 'build your own' or  'pay for only what you want or need' so that typically the overall out of pocket cost was still lower that what top-tier service providers could offer. That has been my experience. I think that is what attracted many/most? people here in the first place.

@pm-smayer97 I'm talking about back before there even was data. in 2002-03 I was paying $45 for free after 6pm w/ unlimited text and 25 cents per call. they called me "speedy t9"

I eventually switched to city fido which was $40 for unlimited everything

Yes, prepaid always had some plans that were more expensive. But I have ONLY EVER used prepaid plans since the 90's and ALWAYS found economical plans that met my needs that NO post-plan could match.

In fact the Telus $10 Exclusive plan I currently have has a LONG history going back to ClearNet before it got bought out, which STILL had per-second billing until 20 months ago.

@Pawprints1986 even though she said limited time I think it's a permanent plan for now

If you have the $35 1.5GB plan today and want to continue with it, no action is required. However, if you switch to another plan you will not be able to switch back to the $35 1.5GB plan after August 6, 2020 as it will no longer be available.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice !This is awesome! I will actually likely switch from the 25 plan, it's a great deal! 28 with auto pay so my case $31 with taxes

Before I left koodo their "loyalty" wanted 35 with no autopay and for only 1gb

Any idea how long this will be around ?Will it become a permanent plan option ?Thinking mainly for those not needing much data now due to home due to covid, but they'd probably hop right on this once they're back to usual 

Thanks for listening to customers feedback PM - that's awesome! 😁

@darlicious wrote:

@TMS 

The answer regarding zoomer wireless is easy for me.....especially after 20 years i gave them a second chance when my bf needed a phone and i was his guarantor for his account/device plan with fido. It was no surprise that they continued their practice of negative billing, over charges and billing errors (always in their favour). After 18 months of monthly arguments and a minimum of four hours each month trying to get the fraudulent billing corrected i gave up and bought the phone out once i found public mobile. In three months the reduction in the bfs plan cost alone paid for his device. I had vowed in 1998 to never give my money to rogers again i regret breaking that vow i will not break that vow ever again!

I did not realize Zoomer is connected to Rogers. I had to look it up. 😕

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Thank you Catherine_T! This is really good news for us customers.

that may be partially true BUT what has often made prepaid attractive is appealing to the 'build your own' or  'pay for only what you want or need' so that typically the overall out of pocket cost was still lower that what top-tier service providers could offer. That has been my experience. I think that is what attracted many/most? people here in the first place.

@pm-smayer97 I'm talking about back before there even was data. in 2002-03 I was paying $45 for free after 6pm w/ unlimited text and 25 cents per call. they called me "speedy t9"

I eventually switched to city fido which was $40 for unlimited everything

@TMS wrote:

Is Zoomer owned by Rogers? I do realize they use their Network/Towers. 

Yes, it is 100% owned by Rogers, among a bunch of other brands. This is "competition" at work.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious 

Was it Fido that you had the argument with 20 years ago or Zoomerwireless/Cityphone?

Rogers billing is a complete and utter joke. I strongly believe they mess up the customer’s invoice each month on purpose. When people refer to Rogers as Robbers, I can see why. This happened to me with Fido and I had to resort to CCTS to file a complaint for my spouse and I. We were granted our requests and we still remained with them. Been with them 26+ years. Their CS has improved - A LOT!

Is Zoomer owned by Rogers? I do realize they use their Network/Towers. 

TMS

@pm-smayer97 

I fully agree with you. I first encountered this displeasure back in 2018. I don’t want to go into specifics, but I just started my plan with PM days before the unfortunate experience. Not the most warm welcoming either. More similar situations occurred months later, so I said, “Skip this”, and I left a little over a year with PM.  

However, I did back to PM and park my phone number. That was over a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, I did lose a year of loyalty.

I brought in a bunch of people to PM too, including my 70+ year old mother, and my two kids. I also had over a few hundred dollars credit, and now I maintain the grandfathered $10 plan still with reward credit. I barely use the account and resorted to voip for my calling. 

The biggest negative knock against PM is their customer service. My mom and the others will leave when I leave, cause they’ll have no idea on how to reach out to the moderators. 😞 

buang99

Finally 😍

Masuky909
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have most of my 5GB signup bonus. So i have about 6.2GB of "banked" data.

I think I might just keep the $5/month in my pocket, as it seems I dont use all my 1GB per month now. We shall see what happens when school starts back up.

Thanks

pame

This is fantastic.  Thanks PM for providing consumers with more choices.

@Masuky909 wrote:

Currently have the $25 plan (500MB + 500 MB) with lots of free data from previous promos.

A 1GB Promo, the Holiday 1GB giveaway, and some of my 5GB sign up data bonus.

With the deal being temporary, the $5 upgrade for the extra data looks like a good idea.

BUT if I change, do I loose the extra bonuses?

@Masuky909   The free gifts from PM will stay with your account, however, the 5GB sign up data might be affected by changing plans and would depend upon the terms of the promotion at sign up. 

Edit: How much of the 5GB bonus is still remaining?  Depending on how much is left you may need to figure out if it's worthwhile for you to change plans since it seems to be a limited time offer.  If you do go ahead and change plans, maybe you can update your post to let us know if the change affected your bonus sign up data or not?

Masuky909

Currently have the $25 plan (500MB + 500 MB) with lots of free data from previous promos.

A 1GB Promo, the Holiday 1GB giveaway, and some of my 5GB sign up data bonus.

With the deal being temporary, the $5 upgrade for the extra data looks like a good idea.

BUT if I change, do I loose the extra bonuses?

@TMS 

The answer regarding zoomer wireless is easy for me.....especially after 20 years i gave them a second chance when my bf needed a phone and i was his guarantor for his account/device plan with fido. It was no surprise that they continued their practice of negative billing, over charges and billing errors (always in their favour). After 18 months of monthly arguments and a minimum of four hours each month trying to get the fraudulent billing corrected i gave up and bought the phone out once i found public mobile. In three months the reduction in the bfs plan cost alone paid for his device. I had vowed in 1998 to never give my money to rogers again i regret breaking that vow i will not break that vow ever again!

@pm-smayer97 

I can agree with you partially on the customer support. For most users with normal service problems the support/service between the community and the moderators is excellent. Its only once you have a larger, complicated and/or unique issue it then can require a lot of convincing and diligence to get it attended to and resolved.

@gpixel wrote:

@TMS it's hard to justify other providers when the rewards are too good. for other users I can easily see a switch.

Actually I ALMOST agree...the fact is that with pricing inching up over the last couple of years that the rewards only make a marginal difference (unless you have a large carry forward from past promos, like I do).

The fact is that support is SO poor here. It took me 20 back and forth emails before mods were willing to escalate a problem to a manager just last week, and even the manager gave me a har time at first...UNTIL they FINALLY realized that what I was saying was true...NO customer should have to go through that amount of stonewalling to get support. And I have experienced this at least a dozen times with PM mods that it takes away the value of the "rewards" that it frequently makes me question if it is worth it...but like I said, I am currently deeply vested in PM in more ways than one.

So, if you do not run into problems and need little to no support, it seems ok BUT once you do, the value diminishes exponentially.

@gpixel wrote:

we also need to remember this is "prepaid". it was never meant to be a top tier or compete with one. when I was growing up prepaid was always more expensive and less appealing than post paid plans. and yet, they've changed it around. 

not my experience. If you mean cost per feature, that may be partially true BUT what has often made prepaid attractive is appealing to the 'build your own' or  'pay for only what you want or need' so that typically the overall out of pocket cost was still lower that what top-tier service providers could offer. That has been my experience. I think that is what attracted many/most? people here in the first place.

Anyway, good to see that at least PM is keeping pace even if not the leader at the moment. In other words, there is a lot to be said for phone support to cut down the effort and time to resolve issues.

fujiyama

Wow, nice! Thanks for the great news 🙂

dac13

That's a good plan and replacement for the $35 1.5GB Plan.  Too bad it's only for a limited time because I don't need that currently since I am using wifi more during this Covid time.

sunflowershine

This is cheaper. Why not?

TMS

@gpixel 

$150 and a phone (which you can sell) is a pretty darn good “reward”. 
And you don’t have to wait 5 years to get $5 off. 

edit:

if you sold the phone for $150. You’d have $300 over 24 months which is the equivalent of $12.50 off your bill. Reducing it to $36.00 plus tax minus $12.50. 

edit:

Not to mention Full LTE (not important to me) and a phone-in customer service. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@TMS it's hard to justify other providers when the rewards are too good. for other users I can easily see a switch.

I haven't had to wait 5 years to get $5 off...

if I didn't have the rewards I have, I would probably switch. I enjoy pm and the community. I like the forums. my goal is to eventually get enough rewards for a free $40 plan. I don't think I'm ever leaving... this is the best provider I've been with. 

if I compare that offer from zoomer with those discounts you mentioned, you would pay $23.50+tax if I change to the $40 plan I pay under $20 not including community rewards

so at the current moment I would be paying closer to $10/5gb. theres also the versatility of moving up and down plans without losing rewards.. 

we also need to remember this is "prepaid". it was never meant to be a top tier or compete with one. when I was growing up prepaid was always more expensive and less appealing than post paid plans. and yet, they've changed it around. 

TMS

@gpixel 

I was already asking for the $35/3gb instead since it Trump's Lucky's offer... $33/3gb.... they already are beating the competition. when I switch tomorrow it's free. lucky can never match that...”

Zoomer has/had a 5GB for $36.00 on and off for a while. Plus find someone there already and you both get $50. Plus $100 activation credit. Plus a free phone. You have to lock in for two years, however. 😐 

mh1983

Nice one, PM! The deals were solid as it was; this new plan is very enticing. Thanks as always and stay safe, everyone!

TMS

@gpixel 

I’m not saying that!

That “it’s not good enough”. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@TMS first you said they had to match Lucky's offer. now you're saying its not good enough 😂. I was already asking for the $35/3gb instead since it Trump's Lucky's offer... $33/3gb.... they already are beating the competition. 

TMS

@darlicious 

Just being truthful. My response might be perceived as negative, but that is what Public Mobile did. They followed, copied, and played it safe.  

edit:

darlicious wrote:

Now its that kind of thinking that doesnt get you anywhere......its (?) thinking to ask a different provider to offer something so your provider may offer it? I  choose to believe in positivity and believe me theres a few negative nellies here gnashing thier teeth that my wish (yet again) has come true! Thanks again public mobile!

Testing out the want of a $30/2gb and $35/3gb plans thru text offers this spring proved to be successful. @Dave_M  said there were big plans for 2020 before he left....they included new properly priced data plans apparently!”

Dave_M ‘s replacement has a little over 4 months to make this happen. My fingers are crossed that PM will beat all of the competition. 👍

@TMS wrote:

@darlicious 

Ive had my doubters in the past when encouraging members to continue to voice their opinion on what they would like to have from public mobile. Through the power of positive thinking and they say....writing it down....your goals (or wishes in this case) will come true. Time to cross it off both mine and the community's  public mobile wish list. Should i add the $35/3gb plan while im there or has someone already done that ?”

We didn’t make a difference in voicing our opinions. PM copied Lucky. 😞

edit: As for the $35 3GB plan, we would make more of an impact to ask Lucky to introduce this plan to their lineup. Only then PM would make this plan available to us. 😂 

@TMS  Now its that kind of thinking that doesnt get you anywhere......its (?) thinking to ask a different provider to offer something so your provider may offer it? I  choose to believe in positivity and believe me theres a few negative nellies here gnashing thier teeth that my wish (yet again) has come true! Thanks again public mobile!

Testing out the want of a $30/2gb and $35/3gb plans thru text offers this spring proved to be successful. @Dave_M  said there were big plans for 2020 before he left....they included new properly priced data plans apparently!

Need Help? Let's chat.