cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

FIRST, other callers leaving a message is NOT call forwarding. Call forwarding is specific feature... so you only get charged for call forwarding if you ACTUALLY activate call forwarding.

So it does not matter whether you receive messages or not. There is no charge. The only charge is when you access VM via your cell phone. PERIOD!

@pm-smayer97 no, this is not correct on the $10 plan.  Calls that get redirected to your voicemail box (no matter what type of greeting you have active) count against your metered minutes, unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@pm-smayer97 just to confirm you are saying if voicemail does answer and no message is left than no useage is counted?  

Doesn't this contradict the plan announcement since voicemail is considered call forwarding.

Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes.

FIRST, other callers leaving a message is NOT call forwarding. Call forwarding is specific feature... so you only get charged for call forwarding if you ACTUALLY activate call forwarding.

So it does not matter whether you receive messages or not. There is no charge. The only charge is when you access VM via your cell phone. PERIOD!

I can play too.

The system IS call forwarding TO the voicemail box FROM your phone AND internally EVEN if the phone is OFF.

Assuming all the usual defaults. It seems also kinda difficult to turn off this feature from the handset.

Like I said, I might be able to go along with you for the extended absence greeting version. But not according to the documentation.

And yes you can also do your own call forwarding somewhere else which would of course cost your minutes.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@pm-smayer97 no, this is not correct on the $10 plan.  Calls that get redirected to your voicemail box (no matter what type of greeting you have active) count against your metered minutes, unfortunately.

WRONG! I have 6 of these plans and have tested it extensively. 

The confusion comes in trying to label calls being sent to your VM as Call Forwarding. The industry convention and standard is that Call Forwarding strictly applies to using the specific Call Forwarding feature. But calls sent to VM is NOT considered Call Forwarding (of course if you activate Call Forwarding and point it to VM by entering the VM # THEN you would be charged for using Call Fowarding). AND PM appears to be using the same industry convention.

Bottom line is that calls that leave messages to your VM DO NOT deduct from your used minutes. 

If you do not believe me and you have this plan... prove it to yourself. Check your account for USED MINUTES before then call your number and leave a VM and see if your USED MINUTES has changed... It does not.

@z10user4 WRONG! The problem is in the use of the language and labels. Let's stop spreading misinformation.

See my reply just above, here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

@srlawren wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

BTW, the WHOLE reason to use the Absence Greeting and disabling callers from being able to leave a message is NOT about saving the cost of THEM leaving a message but rather saving the cost of feeling the need to retrieve your VM via your cell phone which DOES use minutes.

The simple alternative is to access your VM via a landline for FREE by calling either your cell phone # or dialing 647-580-4001 (Telus/Public Mobile VM system). 

Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

BTW, the WHOLE reason to use the Absence Greeting and disabling callers from being able to leave a message is NOT about saving the cost of THEM leaving a message but rather saving the cost of feeling the need to retrieve your VM via your cell phone which DOES use minutes.

@pm-smayer97 not necessarily.  Some people just don't want anyone to leave them a voicemail, but may not care about the minutes to call in and listen to them.  I've seen at least a handful of folks in the community that have asked for the ability to turn voicemail off because they hate getting voicemails.  

However, on the $10 plan, using extended absence does NOT solve the problem of airtime being comsumed simply by the call being forwarded to your voicemail box.  Which IS a problem on the $10 plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Oracle

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

The confusion comes in trying to label calls being sent to your VM as Call Forwarding. The industry convention and standard is that Call Forwarding strictly applies to using the specific Call Forwarding feature. But calls sent to VM is NOT considered Call Forwarding (of course if you activate Call Forwarding and point it to VM by entering the VM # THEN you would be charged for using Call Fowarding). AND PM appears to be using the same industry convention.

Bottom line is that calls that leave messages to your VM DO NOT deduct from your used minutes. 

If you do not believe me and you have this plan... prove it to yourself. Check your account for USED MINUTES before then call your number and leave a VM and see if your USED MINUTES has changed... It does not.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@pm-smayer97Its always good to have first hand experience.  not having this plan i can only go by what is siad oficially and what is observed.   this discussion either points to the fact that the  FAQ are wrog or you have discovered a glitch in the system, or PM is making some behind the scene changes.

officially the plan details state leaving voicemails consumes minutes   wich is probably where the confusion/disagreememnts are coming from.    

@Brooke_Care you able to state if this is infact a bug, a new feature etc...

Uses Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
Mayor / Maire

I did some searching and others have found that using the Extended Absence Greeting (EAG) does not dock off the 50 minutes in the $10 plan. I believe I experience the same result. The call shows up in the list but it doesn't tick up the counter under add-ons on the Overview.

I'm not sure about normal VM and getting a hang-up before the "beep" but it is stated that someone leaving a message will. I've already set my EAG so I don't feel like fiddling around with all that again.

On examing all of this, I found a few different item names being used for Destination Location. There's province and state. There's Toll-free. There's NANP. Then I found an 844 number that had nothing in that column. I don't believe the $10 plan gets docked minutes for toll-free or nanp. I had a bear of a time verifying and corroborating how the counter got to where it is and so I'm not sure that an 844 number doesn't dock. Reading comments here it seems maybe 844 is still not settled seeing as how there is no description for it.

So @pm-smayer97: I'd say there's some in between in what you're so capitalizingly saying and what actually happens.

It is stated that the caller leaving a message and of course retrieving that message from your phone costs minutes. Some day maybe I might bother to experiment with a hang-up on normal VM before the beep and see if the counter ticks up.

Unlike Telus, which has special free numbers that are not charged (see https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/special-service-mobile-numbers), calling ANY number, including tellp-free, VM, etc, using the $10 plan uses minutes. Other callers leaving a message in your VM does not. Period. Tested on 6 plans of these plans.

Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Unlike Telus, which has special free numbers that are not charged (see https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/special-service-mobile-numbers), calling ANY number, including tellp-free, VM, etc, using the $10 plan uses minutes. Other callers leaving a message in your VM does not. Period. Tested on 6 plans of these plans.

Then we're having different experiences or we have different plans.

I combed through all my calls for this current term so far and separated them by destination. Maybe PM will look at this post and say "oh that's wrong" and change it who knows but I don't see the toll free calls adding to the count. Or nanp. My calculations get me to being short by about a couple minutes. Not bad. Not perfect though. That is adding up initial VM set up and the other calls. Even adding the 844 call doesn't quite get me there. But if I were to add in the toll free/nanp calls I would be way over. So I really don't think they're adding in.

Apparently it would seem YMMV.