cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: [Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CFPartDeux, here in Victoria I looked on usedvictoria and people are asking used/nowarranty iPhone 6s for $180-350.  $350 was 64 gb so not same comparison.  So for this area the pricing is great as it includes a warranty.  I haven't checked out the other phones yet

Kijij pricing clearly varies from seller to seller, but I'll say that I've usually found Kijiji prices on used electronic to be ridiculously expensive.  I do belive that some sellers create multiple listings for the same product to make it look as if that's the going price. I also believe that some are reluctant to let go of their old phones, and that some also deliberate price the items much higher fully expecting buyers to try to negotiate.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I think the pricing is good, except for the pixel 2. thats a little too expensive. maybe $250-300 is more justifiable. the s10 is priced 👌

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great news. Thanks.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

Kijij pricing clearly varies from seller to seller, but I'll say that I've usually found Kijiji prices on used electronic to ridiculously expensive.

I'm guessing you understand that a lot of people pay top dollar for high-end phones and computers - then later try to sell those things at top dollar price points. Sometimes they knock the price down from what they paid. But not enough to reflect how much those items have depreciated actual value in an alarmingly short time.

A $1000 phone might be worth $750 in a year, $500 in two years, $250 in three years. You might have paid almost $2000 for that superior flagship phone or over $5000 for that ultra-gaming computer a couple years ago - and it might still be a magnificent machine - but good luck if you expect dated tech to still have that value (especially as a "used" item) on resale.

Most consumers won't pay more when they can buy themselves new phones - newer models, newer tech, newer fashions - which cost the same but deliver more. (It's not the buyer's problem that the seller wants cash to buy their own upgrades.)

This is why the CPO collection of circa-2015 phones at circa-2018 prices seems unappealing. A couple of the prices actually aren't too bad. But the newer models on store shelves today are a better (and more compelling) value.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is great! I do, however, wish to point out that the picture of the back of the iPhone 6s in black is not an iPhone 6s, but a 7 or 8? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section/iPhone_6s

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Wow!! This came out of left field......personally I find the offerings underwhelming especially the iPhone 6s. At the very least any of the iPhone 7 models would have been better. The same with Google pixel 2 they are overpriced and soon to be obsolete. But they are inline with other store sold 1 year warranty backed devices but with limited stock to find.

iPhone 6s

1. Retailers : 32gb $199/$209 -  $299/$399
  2. Craigslist : 16gb $80/$100 32gb $100/$120 - $150/$199 64gb $140/$150 - $175

Pixel 2/2xl

1. Retailers : $179  2xl : $399/$450/$499
  2. Craigslist : $150/$165 - $175/$185  2xl : $175/$180 - $199/$250

Samsung galaxy S8

1. Retailers : $357/$379 - $399/$459
  2. Craigslist : $180/$225 - $250/$300

Samsung galaxy S10

1. Retailers : $599/$629/$649 (open box) $819/$919 dual SIM (new)
  2. Craigslist : $390/$400 - $450/$495   $519/$575 - $579/$650+up

All Craigslist prices are from private single ad sellers w/real photos listed as mint condition.  All had the original box, charger, cord + some accessories(case, ear buds, screen protector...)

It really depends on how much risk you're willing to take with no warranty and an unverified seller although common sense and your gut feeling should alleviate some risk. I think @treefrog had a good point that a good Alcatel flip phone for $50 and moto G series or even an LG5/6/7 $100 - $200 would be of better value and offer more price points for users.

Highlighted

@Hello_Jackson wrote:

Thanks for that information, I will probably just go with a different phone then.

@Hello_Jackson  Google Pixels 2 are currently running the latest Android version and as mentioned  will stop updates on Dec 2020 but you will still get security updates via Google Play on a monthly basis. That is a lot better than most Android manufacturers out there.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is certainly a good option.  Hopefully this service doesn't affect the future of Public Mobile pricing.  It's great to see a company listens to its customers. 😁

Highlighted

@Jess_D the selection is limited, but it's a good start.  There are members who really don't know whom to trust in buying pre-owned phones, so this is good for them.  I see that a couple of members had already placed their orders, so good for you and them.

I am not looking for a smart phone right now, but if I were, I would certainly look at what PM has to offer and then compare the prices with Amazon and other retailers I trust.  

May the force be always be with Public Mobile 😊

Highlighted

This could be very interesting! Currently we have to buy outright elsewhere or switch to koodo... Eliminating this need, I doubt it but do wonder if it could spark some actually real competition, resulting in better mobile and service prices all around... Hmm 🤔 I'm not in current need myself but I'll be interested to see how this goes !

Need Help? Let's chat.