cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Jess_D
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community, 

Over the years, Public Mobile has committed to providing affordable wireless service for Canadians on the country's best network. We’ve primarily focused on providing wireless service, but now we are excited to announce that we are piloting Certified Pre-Owned phones! Each phone is backed by a 1-year limited warranty and includes a $0 Public Mobile SIM. This launch is a direct result of the feedback you all have shared with us over time around how we can make the Public Mobile experience better. Over the next few months we will be testing this out to see what customer response is like and how we can optimize our processes.

Starting today you’ll be able to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Phone online only. Our Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, fixed, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like-new. Because of this, we are able to offer our phones at a price you and your wallet will love. Please note, we do not offer financing on these phones.  

Inventory of these devices is limited, so if you’re interested make sure to act fast! We’ll constantly be adding new devices to the catalogue as they become available and removing those that are out of stock.

These phones are available for purchase only on our website so make sure to check it out! There are only a handful of Samsung Galaxy S10s as a launch special - be sure to act fast before they are gone.

For more information on Certified Pre-Owned phones, please visit our Help Articles

Are you going to be purchasing one of our Certified Pre-Owned phones? Let us know below!

-The Public Mobile Team

172 REPLIES 172

@LovesToPM wrote:

Thanks to Public Mobile for the intiative, for offering a variety of phones
and for always looking for ways to improve our experience.

@Jb456There's no need to be so harsh. You may want to tone it down a notch.

As others mention, time will tell how this works out.

There's no other company like Public Mobile. They continue to offer very generous rewards.

I've actually thought to myself worse than using the word "joke" to describe some of the things that Public Mobile has done. I also don't believe that the prices for these devices are any good - I'll actually say that except for maybe the iPhone 6s, the prices are actually really, really bad. While we might not all agree on the implemenation of this program, the first post in this thread indicated that Public Mobile wants feedback about this program. With my main critisism being the pricing on mainly discontinued devices, those prces can be adjusted later on if Pubilic Mobile finds that the phones aren't selling.

@LovesToPM  harsh? Ok there buddy. It's a public forum and it's just my opinion.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Thanks to Public Mobile for the intiative, for offering a variety of phones
and for always looking for ways to improve our experience.

@Jb456There's no need to be so harsh. You may want to tone it down a notch.

As others mention, time will tell how this works out.

There's no other company like Public Mobile. They continue to offer very generous rewards.

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

OMG this is a godsend! Was trying to hook up and old phone and it broke, just purchased the iphone 6s!!! Can't wait for it to arrive, will be saving a tonne of money!

Hey Public Mobile did you guys decide to do an April fools joke in November? What a JOKE!! 

I definitely want to buy a refurbished iPhone 6s that is 5 frigging years old and has been discontinued since Sept 2016. Where do I sign up?

Did you get someone to dig through your Telus/Koodo storage containers to find the junk box?????

Wait I get it. You read through the forums and said to yourself some of our customers are not so bright and post personal information they'll fall for these ridiculous prices for our old stock. Shame on you 😡😡

This really makes PM look bad considering Lucky sells decent new phones that are 2019/2020 models for a fair price. 

Then we have PM here that used to set the bar high that now just plays follow the leader selling refurbished junk that's 5 years old (talking about the iPhone 6)

This is a sad sad day for PM.

Having the option is good, but when selling phone models this many years old, I think that Public Mobile really needs to reconsider the pricing.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I don't think "old" devices is the real issue.

I think the prices are. The same phone models are available $$-$$$ cheaper on Amazon. And some of them are not refurbs, they're brand new unused devices straight from factory.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jess_D   good luck with the pilot,  unfortunatly the price points and models are too high and too old for me.

coopermray
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've bought used phones all my life and I agree. Once you find a good outlet that you can trust, you'll never have to buy new again! All I can say about that is make sure you know all parameters to check before you buy used. I've had relatives who want to buy used but they don't know to check if the phone is unlocked, not blacklisted, free of water damage, etc. Does anyone know if there is a forum dedicated to tips on buying used phones? I'd love to get involved and share!

@kb_mv, agreed as not sure if this fits my phone purchasing style either.  I would go cheaper for no warranty as phones are like everything now they are just a disposable commodity.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote: I know that you can find them cheaper but do those sellers offer a warranty with their product?

@ShawnC13 They do offer a 30 day return and a 90 day warranty. In the 20 years I have been buying used phones online I have never had an issue. Appliances? Don't get me started! LOL

Honestly if someone is more comfortable buying a used phone from PM at a premium because of the 1 year warranty, good on them, this program will have served its purpose. It was never going to be a fit for the likes of me.

@kb_mv wrote:

Options are good but unless PM is going to offer financing, I can get the S10, S8 and Pixel 2 cheaper online. If I looked I could probably find them all. I have never bought a new phone and deal with the same 2 sellers in Canada through Ebay for mint condition (9/10) phones.

I know that you can find them cheaper but do those sellers offer a warranty with their product?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Options are good but unless PM is going to offer financing, I can get the S10, S8 and Pixel 2 cheaper online. If I looked I could probably find them all. I have never bought a new phone and deal with the same 2 sellers in Canada through Ebay for mint condition (9/10) phones.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It just so happens that only two days back I bought a Samsung S10e, a FIDO pre-certified phone, from someone at a decent price. 😊

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The more the options, the better. ❤️

More options.jpg

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

An interesting change for PM. The prices are higher than what I'd hoped for, but I guess it could be worthwhile to check out their offerings now and then.

Might be useful for certain customers. Purchasing used phones with warranty.  

However, IMO, Public mobile should concentrate on offered better plans that will attract more long term customers. 

@zhadj030 wrote:

This is a very big change on how PM works. It appears that PM is slowly shedding off everything that made it special before .

When I joined PM (4 years ago) they were partnered with a company called Orchard. They sold refurbed devices, fully unlocked and preconfigured to work with PM.

So to me this actually seems like a step back to what PM used to be, back when it strove to be something special.

And it actually seems like a step forward to something better. Orchard was basically only for customers in ON and QC - not for us folks in BC and AB. And Orchard didn't include a one year device warranty.

(Orchard did seem to have lower prices on used/refurbed devices, though.)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Good intiative by PM to help new users or existing users purchase compatible phones.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Jess_D wow, that can be a real game changer for some prospective customers! Glad to see that PM can grow and at the same time, keep costs low! Way to go😊

Well, this is something many have asked for!  Pricing is higher than what I thought it would be but I guess you still get the warranty with it as well.  Be interesting to watch the evolution of this and what phones get added over time.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

This is a very big change on how PM works. It appears that PM is slowly shedding off everything that made it special before .

Whether this change is good or not, we will see in the future.

Need Help? Let's chat.