cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Jess_D
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community, 

Over the years, Public Mobile has committed to providing affordable wireless service for Canadians on the country's best network. We’ve primarily focused on providing wireless service, but now we are excited to announce that we are piloting Certified Pre-Owned phones! Each phone is backed by a 1-year limited warranty and includes a $0 Public Mobile SIM. This launch is a direct result of the feedback you all have shared with us over time around how we can make the Public Mobile experience better. Over the next few months we will be testing this out to see what customer response is like and how we can optimize our processes.

Starting today you’ll be able to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Phone online only. Our Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, fixed, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like-new. Because of this, we are able to offer our phones at a price you and your wallet will love. Please note, we do not offer financing on these phones.  

Inventory of these devices is limited, so if you’re interested make sure to act fast! We’ll constantly be adding new devices to the catalogue as they become available and removing those that are out of stock.

These phones are available for purchase only on our website so make sure to check it out! There are only a handful of Samsung Galaxy S10s as a launch special - be sure to act fast before they are gone.

For more information on Certified Pre-Owned phones, please visit our Help Articles

Are you going to be purchasing one of our Certified Pre-Owned phones? Let us know below!

-The Public Mobile Team

172 REPLIES 172

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great news. Thanks.

I think the pricing is good, except for the pixel 2. thats a little too expensive. maybe $250-300 is more justifiable. the s10 is priced 👌

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CFPartDeux, here in Victoria I looked on usedvictoria and people are asking used/nowarranty iPhone 6s for $180-350.  $350 was 64 gb so not same comparison.  So for this area the pricing is great as it includes a warranty.  I haven't checked out the other phones yet

Kijij pricing clearly varies from seller to seller, but I'll say that I've usually found Kijiji prices on used electronic to be ridiculously expensive.  I do belive that some sellers create multiple listings for the same product to make it look as if that's the going price. I also believe that some are reluctant to let go of their old phones, and that some also deliberate price the items much higher fully expecting buyers to try to negotiate.

@ShawnC13 that's an awful high price in BC. Around here they're like $150 range but if you ask any relatives/friends that are into iPhones chances are they have them laying in a drawer and get it for $75/100.

The thing is though. PM iPhone 6s is refurbished, who knows what was fixed. How's the remaining battery life on a 5 year old phone? Or has it be replaced?.

I just think PM could have done better with the release of types of phones. I believe it's been over 2 years that Koodo stopped listing them on their certified section. As the 7 was released Sept 2016 so they started unloading the 6s and then put all peoples returns who upgraded to the 7 as certified. I recall seeing them in 2018 for like $7 or 8 a month around a year before they changed the tab rules in Aug 2019. When everyone churned phones.

Regardless of prices on who can get it for what price. Why would anyone want to spend $180 on a 5 year old phone (Released Sept 25th 2015) and discontinued not even a year later (Sept 7th 2016).

Not to mention the hardware inside is coming to an end sometime in 2021. It can run iOS 14 but I don't believe it can run anything beyond that. So although the phone would still work eventually people will start loosing features / apps that can't run on the 6s no longer. Just like people with iPhone 4, and 5s.

It's basically at its end of life about to turn into a mp3 player.

Not to mention it only has 32 gigs and no external option to add more memory. The IOS 14 is over 10 gigs alone and you're left with very little storage capacity. 

Looking at Costco website quickly a brand new Moto G Fast is $210 (they go on sale sometimes around $150. Maybe Black Friday will be like that) brand new released in June 2020.

Battery 4000mah compared to iPhone 6s 1715 mah

6.4 screen size compared to iPhone 6s 4.7.

32gig storage BUT expandable storage with micro SD card. Not just 32 gig like iPhone 6s.

3gig ram to iphone 6s 2 gigs.

So for pretty much the same price. Would you take a 5 year old refurbished phone that is about to become obsolete for updates in 2021 or would you take a brand new 2020 phone?

Koodo sells that phone for $275 (clearly overpriced) and certified pre-owned for $180. Not refurbished. 

I would have thought that PM would have taken newer current certified phones that Koodo sells and their prepaid phones and market them here on PM. Not take their left over junk pile and try to pawn it off here. That's frustrating.

Koodo Certified Moto G fast is $180

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/motorola-g-fast-cpo

A phone released in 2020 but here on PM for the same price of $180 you get a 5 year old refurbished iPhone 6s that is about to be bye bye for good.

hend0005
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We like it so much, we've already ordered one!  Shipping is free too.

@Jb456 wrote:

I've suggested in the past that PM start selling phones. Figuring they would follow something like Koodo prepaid phones 

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-phones?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPhones

Which are new phones similar to the ones Lucky sells.

Afterall people come to PM for cheap phone plans. Not for overpriced old phones. Many with PM get their parents or grandparents a line as it's cheap. How many posts in the past wanting flip phones for elders? Well Koodo prepaid it's $85 phone. Lucky sells the same flip as well. Nope not PM. Not an overpriced refurbished Samsung or a 5 year discontinued 5 year old iPhone that will be ending support very soon.

PM could even add some of the lower priced Koodo postpaid certified phones. Like the moto G fast is only $180 released it June 2020. I'd likely take that over a 5 year old iphone. And Koodo certified is likely close to new cause they have a 15 day return period or 30 day for online orders on new phones. People try them out, don't like it, return it then Koodo has to sell it as certified.

I'd like to see PM do something like this and not what they currently have posted. 

@Jb456 Thanks for your constructive feedback.

If you or someone wants one of those phones, I was under the impression that we can buy any of the Telus/Koodo prepaid phones at authorized dealers and use the phone here with PM.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

Ok, it's obvious that quite a few folks here have done some research on the current pricing of the phones available, and they're apparently not particularly competitive, so without doing a bunch of searching, just how bad are these prices(generally speaking)? 🤔

@CFPartDeux, here in Victoria I looked on usedvictoria and people are asking used/nowarranty iPhone 6s for $180-350.  $350 was 64 gb so not same comparison.  So for this area the pricing is great as it includes a warranty.  I haven't checked out the other phones yet

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Luddite wrote:

I just hate the idea of PM selling phones and using kiosks/resellers. I much preferred the 100% online byop concept

While I don't like the pricing, the warranty is a factor. Public Mobile would also have a hard time justifying a phone if it happens to get blacklisted and you're the the person who bought it directly from Public Mobile. I sure hope that Public Mobile is offering 1 or 2 days shipping on all order, at least to major cities. That would a factor for someone who does not wish to go to the store but is willing to wait overnight to receive a a pre-owned device after breaking or losing one. 

I know that there can be delay is order processing of a day or two (or more during peak season), but @Jess_D, is Public Mobile going to be sending phones out using UPS Standard, UPS Express, Fedex Priority, Purolator Ground, Canada Post Xpresspost, or a combination of different shipping carriers and service levels?  

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Ok, it's obvious that quite a few folks here have done some research on the current pricing of the phones available, and they're apparently not particularly competitive, so without doing a bunch of searching, just how bad are these prices(generally speaking)? 🤔

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I was really excited until I saw the offerings and the price.  The only merit is the warranty.  Otherwise, these phones are ancient and the pricing does not reflect the fact that the hardware is well past the best before date.  I will continue to shop the cheap non branded android phones.  

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I am honest here

I have hard time liking this

I hope it doesn't cost a lot

I hope it works out

@Korth wrote:

On the plus side - getting your phone (and SIM card) this way is an excellent option to prevent becoming a SIM crime victim.

Now I ask whether we can buy these phones through Self-Serve.

Could "available funds" deposited into account be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM Payment Vouchers be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM Rewards/credits be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM promos offer discounts on these CPO phones?

@Korth, this is outside of the self-serve so available funds will not be available for use during the purchase.  Although with this format same as SIM cards you can use PayPal for payment

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

Wouldn't that be nice. I just clicked into it and it looks a whole lot exactly like the SIM purchasing method. So not is what I'd say.

On the plus side - getting your phone (and SIM card) this way is an excellent option to prevent becoming a SIM crime victim.

Now I ask whether we can buy these phones through Self-Serve.

Could "available funds" deposited into account be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM Payment Vouchers be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM Rewards/credits be used to purchase these CPO phones?

Could PM promos offer discounts on these CPO phones?

@ShawnC13  ok buddy 🙄🙄 

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13  and? Freedom of speech 

@Jb456, there is Freedom of Expression but you were making it as though those were Public Mobile's words.

Freedom of speech in Canada. Freedom of expression in Canada is protected as a "fundamental freedom" by Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but the charter permits the government to enforce "reasonable" limits. Hate speech, obscenity, and defamation are common categories of restricted speech in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need I point out the first word (and highlighted) in the subject line for all those negative comments AND all those positive comments.

Maybe their response will be "well _that_ went over like a lead balloon" after whatever period of time they choose to give it to see how the pilot went. Or vice versa... "Woohoo! we hit a home run".

We'll see.

Hello_Jackson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for that information, I will probably just go with a different phone then.

@ShawnC13  and? Freedom of speech 

Hello_Jackson

Thanks a lot I didn't know that!

@Jb456 wrote:

Wait I get it. You read through the forums and said to yourself some of our customers are not so bright and post personal information they'll fall for these ridiculous prices for our old stock. Shame on you 😡😡

@Jb456, bad comment this is not PM's opinion this is your own.  To come up with that statement you made that decision

@Hello_Jackson  just note that the 2xl has been discontinued since April 2019 and that Google has confirmed that last update will be in December of this year then they will stop supporting it. Although the Pixel 2 will still work without updates it won't be as secure.

For the price range you're paying for a refurbished phone that was released in 2017, discountinued in 2019 and last support update will be sometime this December. You can do better if you shop around. Just saying but at the end of the day you control your wallet. 

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Hello_Jackson wrote:

wow! this is great for me. I have a half broken iPhone 7 so it will be great that I can replace it with the google pixel 2xl for a very great price! great job public mobile. one suggestion though; I would personally love a public mobile app for the phone so you can track your data usage on the go without having to open the website and then go under your account. keep up the great work public mobile!

@Hello_Jackson  If you decide to go with the Google Pixel 2XL purchase then you really don't need the app for data usage because the built in Google data usage app pretty much mirrors the the Public's data counter as others have reported on this forum in the past.

I just hate the idea of PM selling phones and using kiosks/resellers. I much preferred the 100% online byop concept.

SIModSIMod

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For bargain hunters, savvy shoppers, patient buyers and picky buyers this is not going to appeal to them.

For one stop, easy, prefer to know to be unlocked, compatible and not blacklisted device buyers who just want a phone that works here I think it's great that this has come on stream for them.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is an interesting way for public mobile to go selling refurbished phones. But for the most part the prices are overinflated. Maybe try offering lower-end phones that are affordable and flip phones. These would be better suited to the type of customer Public Mobile has or wants to attract.

Hello_Jackson

wow! this is great for me. I have a half broken iPhone 7 so it will be great that I can replace it with the google pixel 2xl for a very great price! great job public mobile. one suggestion though; I would personally love a public mobile app for the phone so you can track your data usage on the go without having to open the website and then go under your account. keep up the great work public mobile!

I've suggested in the past that PM start selling phones. Figuring they would follow something like Koodo prepaid phones 

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-phones?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPhones

Which are new phones similar to the ones Lucky sells.

Afterall people come to PM for cheap phone plans. Not for overpriced old phones. Many with PM get their parents or grandparents a line as it's cheap. How many posts in the past wanting flip phones for elders? Well Koodo prepaid it's $85 phone. Lucky sells the same flip as well. Nope not PM. Not an overpriced refurbished Samsung or a 5 year discontinued 5 year old iPhone that will be ending support very soon.

PM could even add some of the lower priced Koodo postpaid certified phones. Like the moto G fast is only $180 released it June 2020. I'd likely take that over a 5 year old iphone. And Koodo certified is likely close to new cause they have a 15 day return period or 30 day for online orders on new phones. People try them out, don't like it, return it then Koodo has to sell it as certified.

I'd like to see PM do something like this and not what they currently have posted. 

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jess_D  Good option for those that want a phone to go with a plan and do not want to be bothered shopping for a used one.

👍 on the one year warranty and the $0 sim option. You should also consider offering a discount to existing PM customers instead of the zero cost sim card.

Need Help? Let's chat.