cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: PROMO: $35 2GB Plan Limited Time Offer

For every person who would dump the $40 plan to go for a 2-3 Gb $30-$35 plan, there is one who would move up from the $25 plan. It just gives better choice of plans. Sure there are people who will pay more to be on a higher data plan so that they are certain to not run out of data but around here (3rd tier) there have to be as many or more of us who aren’t willing to pay ridiculous amounts for our Cell plans. I see it as a challenge to limit my cell data usage to keep within the limits of a lower $ plan. I might be willing to pay just a little more if there were a slightly more expensive plan with a reasonable amount more data.  I just don't buy it that People all step up from $25 to $40 because 1 Gb isn’t quite enough data.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector 

For every person who would dump the $40 plan to go for a 2-3 Gb $30-$35 plan, there is one who would move up from the $25 plan.

Very good point. 👍

What we need is for PM to lead the way rather than follow other carriers’ plans. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I understand the online only assistance and the limitation of “3G like speeds”. And maybe even the limitation to 8.5Gb maximum Data plans. The parent Company wants us to move up if any of these conditions are unacceptable to us. Yes... marketing. Now maybe the limitation of selection of plans fits in there too but in my mind that isn’t quite the same. Adding logical Steps from $25, $30, $35, $40, $45 & $50 with these plans all being the same other than the amount of data and combining this with the existing ability to easily switch plans monthly if desired seems like a great marketing plan to me. Since PM does NOT offer the heavily throttled unlimited data, a good selection of plan sizes seems like the best way to offer plans here.

AE_Collector

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@TMS 

They were offering 12.5gigs for 60 last fall. I believe it will go in that direction, if not for this crazy 2020 we might have been close to there. 

There is gonna be lots of change once when dotmobile and TextNow make it in. Fongo is already offering data/wifi sims. Those are very different services and offer something little bit different but they will definitely out some pressure on everybody and not only on data but also calling as TextNow is offering absolutely free calling with their sims and dotmobile is promising the same to founding members.

Yes they can't replace a cell phone but they will definitely be able to replace the spare phone, the car phone or pickup/dropoff phone. If they are stable enough they may even put the dent in the kid phone market and with double sim phones not common it may eat into add-on market as well. For that reason prices will have to adjust

Highlighted

@kselmak 

TextNow will have to offer a better app for iPhones and Androids. Their app was the most horrible thing in regards to reliability. Fongo was many times better, but not perfect. Acceptable though!

i use Voip.ms coupled with Acrobits softphone on an iPhone. Groundwire is great too! This is a much better option, but there is definitely a learning curve involved. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@TMS I agree, my phone's battery heats up and gets destroyed with the app installed. I figure from the massive amounts of advertising all over the place... 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@TMS 

I have no problem using their app as long as I turn off elastic calling, otherwise calls drop like crazy.

But the deal that they have us for data, if you purchase their sim you get unlimited calls and texts and 2 gigs of data for $20, unlimited for $40 (with fup which is 32 gigs as I understand)

You don't have to use their calling up.

With fongo from what I see the only difference is that off you use their calling app is eating into your data, while TextNow didn't. But again you can use any other calling app, the goodies are affordable data. Fongo is 20 for 2 gigs and 10 per gig overage

Highlighted

@gpixel4 

Yes. How could I forget TextNow’s OVERadvertising. Lol

I like Fongo. Anyone looking to get into voip is best to start with Fongo. However, I do prefer the control over the many options with voip.ms. Just amazing once you get using it. No cellular company can offer all of what voip.ms offers. The only thing the cellular company has, over voip.ms, is reliably/quality of calls, but I can get by. 🙂

Highlighted

@kselmak 

Look into Fido $10 for 4GB and get Acrobits if using iPhone (Zoiper if Android), and get voip.ms. A much much better experience overall. 👍

Highlighted

@AE_Collector 

I understand the online only assistance and the limitation of “3G like speeds”. And maybe even the limitation to 8.5Gb maximum Data plans. The parent Company wants us to move up if any of these conditions are unacceptable to us. Yes... marketing. Now maybe the limitation of selection of plans fits in there too but in my mind that isn’t quite the same. Adding logical Steps from $25, $30, $35, $40, $45 & $50 with these plans all being the same other than the amount of data and combining this with the existing ability to easily switch plans monthly if desired seems like a great marketing plan to me. Since PM does NOT offer the heavily throttled unlimited data, a good selection of plan sizes seems like the best way to offer plans here.

AE_Collector

I was thinking of your post above and I don’t think this will ever happen. PM will never make the first move and bring these plans you mentioned to us. Your post makes sense to all of us here, but, I believe, Telus doesn’t care to give us many options. They want us to have slim pickings and choose what is available or, like you mentioned, move up to Koodo.

Telus seems to have purchased PM to compete with the other 3rd tiers.  They seem to follow and only ever match the plans of those of the other 3rd tier companies. Hopefully Telus changes their way and lead the way with some plans that are miraculously incredible. I just can’t bet too much on this happening. Not in the near future anyhow. 

Need Help? Let's chat.