cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transfer in Self-Serve impacted by ongoing maintenance

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and delay in delivering this message.

As a result of ongoing back-end maintenance, the function to port a number to your Public Mobile SIM within My Account  is temporarily unavailable. Porting a number during the activation process is unaffected, and no other self-serve functionality is impacted.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:

1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless
  2. All other customers: To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator. 

We thank you for your patience while we work through the Self-Serve maintenance.

Thank you,

-Public Mobile Community Team

252 REPLIES 252

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, with the pandemic, just wondered in case something goes wrong, how long is it taking mods to look into porting issues? 

Just debating if I should port myself, but then I worry about doing something wrong and not being able to keep my number... 

Here is the recommendation:

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting a number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • We have made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless

I  would also clear the cache in my browser and open a browser in incognito.

@Pawprints1986 port your number on activation for every disaster heard about here, there are probably over 9 successful ones.  Moderator time is a little behind because of the ongoing crises. Officially they have between 24 to 48 hours to respond.

Article on accoun activation and porting https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Pawprints1986

So, with the pandemic, just wondered in case something goes wrong, how long is it taking mods to look into porting issues? 

Just debating if I should port myself, but then I worry about doing something wrong and not being able to keep my number... 

@gblackma wrote:

@Pawprints1986  the problem never existed with porting at activation, but with porting later from within your self service account. (Koodo prepaid always required moderators to port. Since its not really a port, but a back office account transfer, since both companies are owned by Telus).

Well, that's a wee bit misleading, because Telus and Koodo postpaid are owned by Telus, and porting numbers from them doesn't require Moderator intervention(except currently, due to the ongoing maintenance), i.e. it's only Koodo prepaid that requires it..... something about the two Telus owned prepaid services sharing "backend" infrastructure, and therefore, needing to do that "back office account transfer".

@Pawprints1986  the problem never existed with porting at activation, but with porting later from within your self service account. (Koodo prepaid always required moderators to port. Since its not really a port, but a back office account transfer, since both companies are owned by Telus).

Pawprints1986

@gblackma so is porting on activation back to being fully functional ? That's the only part I was beginning to wonder. But yes I'm post paid koodo as of now

@Pawprints1986 if you are Koodo postpaid, you can port on activation.  If prepaid, you need to activate with temporary number and then contact a moderator to port for you.

Pawprints1986

Shercon just wondered if you tried to port while activating? Not sure if I should hold off trying to port ofif it's still not working? ... My card is still in the mail anyway but just wasn't sure... 

@dabr wrote:

On another note, it looks like the Quote function is unavailable again by expanding the toolbar, although I haven't tried the edit workaround and probably won't as it's too much messing around.

Odd, it's been working fine for me, so far today. 🤔 

As for "too much messing around", when it's not showing up, and I really want to use it, I post a quick, partial reply, then immediately hit the "Edit" function, use the quote button, and then carry on finishing my original reply..... it's worked well, while causing a wee bit of confusion only once, so far.

@CannonFodder  Thanks!  I think you are right about the wording, so will edit.

On another note, it looks like the Quote function is unavailable again by expanding the toolbar, although I haven't tried the edit workaround and probably won't as it's too much messing around.

@dabr wrote:

@shercon  Make sure to write "Number Port" in your heading when contacting moderators.

All sound advice in that post, except one TINY thing.....  the wording should probably be "port request".  I doubt it would be an issue, but you just never know, so it's probably better safe than sorry.....

@shercon   You should submit another ticket if it's been more that 2 days since your last one.  Did you use chatbot SIMon or private message.  Here is the link to private message Moderator_Team if used chatbot last time :https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Just be aware the moderators are a little shorthanded right now because of the current pandemic and that is probably one of the reasons why there is a delay in response timeline.

@shercon  Make sure to write edit: "Port request" in your heading when contacting moderators.

shercon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What's the expected timeline for someone to get back to me?  I submitted a ticket last week midweek, and nothing so far? Would keenly like to get my Koodo # ported into PM and stop paying for two accounts! 

@Pawprints1986  You have two options when activating your public mobile sim/account. Port your number in upon activation (with koodo postpaid almost always a quick and easy process.) Or choose a temporary number making sure all your services are up and running (calling, texting, data) and then port your number over from koodo. Normally you could do this yourself from within your account but currently you will have to contact the moderators to do this for you.

The advantage of taking a temporary number first is if you do have an issue with your port you will have a working phone service while you wait to get it fixed by the moderators or the telus porting department.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So would they have just been referring to partial charges from koodo for my last partial month?

When you port out from a Koodo postpaid account, you would have been blled ahead of time for a full month. Unless you port out on the last day of the Koodo billing cycle, Koodo will owe you a refund for the unused amount of days.

Pawprints1986

So would they have just been referring to partial charges from koodo for my last partial month?

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

By prorated, do you mean partial month charge from koodo, and partial charge from public mobile? 

Public Mobile doesn't prorate. It's all or nothing here.

Pawprints1986

By prorated, do you mean partial month charge from koodo, and partial charge from public mobile? 

@Pawprints1986  Unless you are still under contract for your device then there will be no cancellation fees and your plan will be prorated from the day you port out.

@Pawprints1986 are you with Koodo prepaid or postpaid?  Thanks. If it's prepaid, then there should be no fees. If postpaid, its best to contact them and find out.

Pawprints1986

I will need a referral code, I've just ordered a Sim, hopefully it won't take too long with covid19 delays. I am koodo post paid though as of now. 

Do you happen to know if there will be any fees on koodos side of things upon switching ?

Sorry @Pawprints1986  there is no way to test the port before its actually done. The good news is that SIMS are now $5. Both Koodo and PM  are owned by Telus. If your account is a Koodo prepaid account,  moderators are required to port your number. Your Kood account must be active to port.

There are no fees associated with porting. Also, if you use a referral code on SIM activation, you get a $10 one time credit. If you require one, ask someone here for theirs. Here is a link on activation  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Pawprints1986

Hi, just wondered if this is still going on ?Considering switching from koodo as I can save $12 per month for the plan I want and I'm lower income... I still have to buy a Sim card too. 

Is there any way to try the porting before choosing a plan ?In case it doesn't work so that way I'm not having to pay 2 providers until it's resolved 

Also, any step by step guides as far as how porting would work? Any fees associated with it ?

Thanks !!

Dav222

Thanks computergeek541 for the quick reply. Will follow your advice. Cheers!

@Dav222 

You'll need to go here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 to send a private mesage to the moderators. I suggest using Port Request as the title of the message.

Dav222

I'm hoping someone can help me with submitting a ticket to port a number. I have completed all the required fields but the "Next" box and the "Submit ticket" box remain greyed out. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there an ongoing issue with the porting process? Thanks.

@zblackma wrote:

Is this still ongoing? And will there be an announcement when its done? Thankyou.

Customers still need to ask a moderator to port a phone number in.

zblackma

Is this still ongoing? And will there be an announcement when its done? Thankyou.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alan_K   Thank you Alan for keeping us informed.  You da best!   Cheers

Alan_K

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Alan_K  

When going to publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat and typing in "port request", this now sends customers directly to the private messaging window.  Is that a glitch and are private messages still being given lower priority?

On a good note, I've noticed that when asking for a porting, moderator response time appears to be less than an hour during regular operational hours.   

@computergeek541 We had a hiccup over the weekend on the chatbot form specific to the porting flow. The diversion to private message is temporary and the plan is to reinstate the form at some point this morning.

Great to hear you're seeing such a quick Moderator response!

Need Help? Let's chat.