Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plan: $35 for 2GB

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan
  • 1.5 GB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

144 REPLIES 144

@gpixel 

Yes he is......when that happens how does public mobile plan on competing with a hottie and these hot plans?

Unlimited calling and texting and 5G/4GLTE data:

1. $15/3gb
  2. $20/8gb
  3. $25/12gb
  4. $30/UNLIMITED!!!!!

@Scarybear apparently Mr. Reynolds is trying to bring mint to Canada 👍

Scarybear
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is the "$30 for 2GB" deal coming back? Any good xmas deals coming up?

I'm on Koodo right now but want to switch over asap depending upon a good promo deal.

Mint mobile is $30 unlimited Data...  Canada has some catching up to do!

Thanks!

@bluejaywpg wrote:

I hope you're right in that that day is approaching very soon.

For example, something I posted a while back ... about someone I know who moved to Canada permanently but still keeps (and has no problem using) her Singapore phone plan.

@Korth wrote:

A friend from Singapore subscribes to a carrier called "circles life". Talk and Text and 20GB 4G, prepaid $18 per month. She pays an extra $5 to extend her "Unlimited Roaming" coverage to most of Asia, Phillipines, Australia, NZ, USA, Mexico, Canada - calls and texts and data from anywhere in the coverage zone to anywhere in the coverage zone, no restrictions. And an extra $20 per month when she wants more data (100GB 4G). She got some sort of promo which saves a few bucks. She laughed (and still laughs) uncontrollably when I showed her PM's best cellphone plans.

Needless to say I didn't interest her as a referral. In fact, her carrier has a better referral system which awards more credits and discounts - and even has some kind of "referral lottery" which gives big prizes (travel, vacations, $$$-$$$$, etc) to top performers.

And - what mystified me most - the circle company's marketing strongly emphasizes their promise that customer support is always available and always guaranteed within 30 seconds. Whoosh.

So basically a foreign plan which works in Canada (and half the world) better than any Canadian plan, $43 in Singapore dollars (which are roughly the same value as Canadian dollars) to get 100GB 4G.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korth the point is simply that we in Canada pay too much. Even PM charges more for the same data - but also at 3G speeds. I think it's very fair to compare between similar vast countries.

I hope you're right in that that day is approaching very soon.

@bluejaywpg 

Canadian providers "compete" with Canadian providers. Not with providers in Australia, Iceland, or USA. It's a protected market, not a competitive market. CRTC ensures that.

Better deals from foreign providers can't be compared directly. Until the day comes that they're able to provide lower costs while "roaming" in Canada than Canadian providers offer while "local" in Canada. (That day is approaching or may already be here, btw, certain foreign providers already have cheap plans with "unlimited roaming" and huge data buckets.)

bluejaywpg

@computergeek541 I'm still waiting for ANYONE (PM, Telus, any cell srevice provider) to match what I got in Australia last year. 5 GB for $35, I forget how much calling. Oh & I forgot to mention - 4G. Oh & I also forgot to mention - a 30 GB BONUS.

For reference, I paid the same price for the same data in Iceland, got I think 100 minutes of calling time, 4G, no bonus data.

bluejaywpg

@blairs1 wrote:

@dabr well.... looks like it’s a solid no from the mod team. 

super poor first experience with the lack of clear verbiage. 

@blairs1 well for me that would be the 2nd. The 1st was even worse - losing service due to a single payment that didn't go through for reasons not completely known to me (it wasn't my fault - was either my financial institution or PM). And the message informing me just said my payment didn't go through & not much more than that. It made no mention that service was suspended too so I had no idea as I had just joined PM 3 months earlier! (The moderators took care of it, kudos to them - I did have to pay with an alternate payment method though...)

@Korth wrote:

@BearFBI wrote:

If its gonna be 35$ at least make it 3GB.

They'd be competing with their own $40 plan.

I've long suspected PM's plan structure (like everyone else's plan structures) are designed to encourage people towards buying $40-$50 monthly bills. So plans as a group don't progress linearly, lesser plans have undersized data limits, and add-on data always works out costing more.

Public Mobile customers are here for pretty much only one reason, and that's because of the price after rewards. Customers surely aren't here for the 3Mbps data speeds, nor the lack of call-in customer service. Price being the main factor for people joining Public, I feel that they're heading the wrong direction. People who are here for the lowest possible price generally don't want to pay $50.

bluejaywpg

Well that's crazy. So even though most businesses end their special promos at the END of the day (1159pm local time) that the promo is supposed to end, it seems the promo ended in the morning around 8am CDT which is my time (6am Vancouver time, 9am Toronto time).

Wouldn't it make much more sense to end the promo overnight the next day so that all Canadians (including in BC & the Yukon) are able to switch all day long??? Would be a much better PR move if you ask me. Or say it's ending on the 16th.

I was giving it serious thought to switching to that promo. I guess PM won't be making more money from me as a result. I'll stick with my lower cost plan for now.

@BearFBI wrote:

They'd be competing with their own $40 plan.

I've long suspected PM's plan structure (like everyone else's plan structures) are designed to encourage people towards buying $40-$50 monthly bills. So plans as a group don't progress linearly, lesser plans have undersized data limits, and add-on data always works out costing more.

blairs1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@dabr well.... looks like it’s a solid no from the mod team. 

super poor first experience with the lack of clear verbiage. 

@geopublic wrote:

Wow what a plan!! I should let all my friends & family know about it so they can shoot me.🤔☹️  No thanks!! 🙄😁

David_J is just the messenger.

If anyone has been losing a lot of referrals lately, but has been find it hard to replace them, good luck with the plans getting worse.

@Danchvn wrote:

Was hoping the $30 2GB plan would become permanent. Don't need it right now but it would have been nice to have that plan available when things open up more.

Why make it permanent? Raising the price means that they can have another sale. Who wants this $35 plan?  No one's going to activate this plan.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@David_J wrote:

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan

This is terrible. Has Public Mobile given up?

Danchvn

Was hoping the $30 2GB plan would become permanent. Don't need it right now but it would have been nice to have that plan available when things open up more.

@RosieR wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

You might be on to something. 😮

@pm-smayer97 you think so?  😂

it was facetious....

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@pm-smayer97 you think so?  😂

@RosieR wrote:

@David_J sir, this new plan sucks big time.  This seems like an attempt to make the $40 plan be more attractive.  Why pay $35 and get 2gb when $5 more ($40) gets you 5gb, right?  Good Plan!  😁   ...but... but  ... ok no buts 😎

Screenshot 2020-09-17 165402-horz.jpg 

Wow what a plan!! I should let all my friends & family know about it so they can shoot me.🤔☹️  No thanks!! 🙄😁

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@David_J wrote:

Hey Community,

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

@David_J sir, this new plan sucks big time.  This seems like an attempt to make the $40 plan be more attractive.  Why pay $35 and get 2gb when $5 more ($40) gets you 5gb, right?  Good Plan!  😁   ...but... but  ... ok no buts 😎

Screenshot 2020-09-17 165402-horz.jpg 

dac13

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dac13 wrote:

Looks like this is part of the regular plans and not a promo.  Hoping Black Friday will bring a great plan or promo plan.

That's certainly a possibility, but over the years, Public Mobile hasn't usually been big on holiday promotions. Some years, they skip over the busiest shopping times of the years with more of the usual plans.

@computergeek541 Ohhhh.  Well hopefully since this year has not been normal to say the least then maybe Public Mobile will surprise us for the better.  🙂

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr 

I also would have assumed 11:59pm EDT today.  Wasn't this "new" plan originally scheduled to be releaaed on April 1?

@computergeek541   You might be right about the original release date for it

The April 1st part was a joke.

Lol...hmm completely missed the 1st part of that! 😂

@dabr wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr 

I also would have assumed 11:59pm EDT today.  Wasn't this "new" plan originally scheduled to be releaaed on April 1?

@computergeek541   You might be right about the original release date for it

The April 1st part was a joke.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@blairs1 contact moderators as @dabr suggested. It's worth a shot. If you do sign up don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 sign-up bonus.

@blairs1 wrote:

@dabr how would one go about that? I have a new sim and was hoping to activate today. 

gave my current carrier a chance to help but they wouldn’t budge. 

now I have a sim I can’t use. 

@blairs1   I would ask the moderators to honour the $30/2GB based upon the update to that announcement which is definitely not clear as to whether that promo plan expires on the 16th or 17the of Sept.

You can also include either the link or copy the update part of that announcement when you contact moderartors who can be reached via SIMon chatbot ? mark bottom right of your screen or via private message to Moderator_Team at this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I think you have a good chance of getting that expired promo plan, but of course there's no guarantees but also nothing to lose.  Good luck! 😊

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Darn. There goes the 30$ 2Gb plan. I was actually going to downgrade and upgrade next month because I dont need 2GB this month. Sadly I can't do that because I'm grandfatherd into the plan. 

blairs1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@dabr how would one go about that? I have a new sim and was hoping to activate today. 

gave my current carrier a chance to help but they wouldn’t budge. 

now I have a sim I can’t use. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

There is one in the French forums that received their sim yesterday and thought deal would expire tonight for $30 /2GB.. now they're going to wait for another deal to sign up if one comes about. 

@Jb456   If I were them I would message moderators and ask for $30/2GB deal as the update on that announcement is/was ambiguous. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

There is one in the French forums that received their sim yesterday and thought deal would expire tonight for $30 /2GB.. now they're going to wait for another deal to sign up if one comes about. 

Need Help? Let's chat.