Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plan: $35 for 2GB

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan
  • 1.5 GB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

144 REPLIES 144

raulg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm sad to see the $30 plan go 😞

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr 

I also would have assumed 11:59pm EDT today.  Wasn't this "new" plan originally scheduled to be releaaed on April 1?

@computergeek541   You might be right about the original release date for it, but I guess it didn't happen then as a lot of things got upended because of the pandemic.   However, it really isn't clear to me why PM's announcements can't be clear and specific about the exact expiry time/day so as not to create unnecessary confusion for customers.  It just seems really sloppy way of doing things.

I also don't see the new plan (or is it the old resuscitated plan) being a great draw to attract new customers as mentioned by most already.  Oh well!

@dac13 wrote:

Looks like this is part of the regular plans and not a promo.  Hoping Black Friday will bring a great plan or promo plan.

That's certainly a possibility, but over the years, Public Mobile hasn't usually been big on holiday promotions. Some years, they skip over the busiest shopping times of the years with more of the usual plans.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dac13  yes I know what you meant 🙂 posted that incase David or someone else at PM sees it and gets the idea lol.

dac13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jb456 what I mean is maybe Black Friday will trigger a new plan to be added or a new promo plan to be offered.  Seems that plans and offers are all triggered by some event or something.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dac13  ya a nice calling only plan for Black Friday 🙂

dac13

Looks like this is part of the regular plans and not a promo.  Hoping Black Friday will bring a great plan or promo plan.

@dabr wrote:

@blairs1 wrote:

thought the old promo plan ended tonight as indicated?

@blairs1   Yes that's what the update to original announcement for the $30 promo plan says that it would expire on the 17th (today), but on the Plans page it's not available anymore.  Maybe @David_J  or @Catherine_T   can clarify why the promo got removed one day early?

**UPDATE**

The limited-time $30 2GB plan promotion ends Canada-wide on Thursday, September 17, 2020. 

If you have the $30 2GB plan today and want to continue with it, no action is required. However, if you switch to another plan you will not be able to switch back to the $30 2GB plan after September 17, 2020, as it will no longer be available.

For Public Mobile customers in Quebec, the limited-time 500MB data promotion will be expiring with the $30 2GB plan as well on September 17, 2020.

Edit made on September 14, 2020.

Edit:  If the original promo was meant to expire at 11.59 pm ET on Wed. 16th Sept., then that should have been included in this announcement so no-one was confused about the timeline.

I also would have assumed 11:59pm EDT today.  Wasn't this "new" plan originally scheduled to be releaaed on April 1?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel wrote:

@dabr it's the same thing as the free 5gb gift. its gone as of 12:00am Sept.17

@gpixel   I see that  it's gone but the wording on the expiry date is confusing and I just think PM needs to make their promotion expiry dates absolutely clear so there's no confusion about it.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dabr it's the same thing as the free 5gb gift. its gone as of 12:00am Sept.17

I see that  it's gone but the wording on the expiry date is confusing and I just think PM needs to make their promotion expiry dates absolutely clear so there's no confusion about it.

*as weird as it sounds, it seems like thats PM's motto! 🤣

@blairs1 wrote:

@blairs1   Yes that's what the update to original announcement for the $30 promo plan says that it would expire on the 17th (today), but on the Plans page it's not available anymore.  Maybe @David_J  or @Catherine_T   can clarify why the promo got removed one day early?

**UPDATE**

The limited-time $30 2GB plan promotion ends Canada-wide on Thursday, September 17, 2020. 

If you have the $30 2GB plan today and want to continue with it, no action is required. However, if you switch to another plan you will not be able to switch back to the $30 2GB plan after September 17, 2020, as it will no longer be available.

For Public Mobile customers in Quebec, the limited-time 500MB data promotion will be expiring with the $30 2GB plan as well on September 17, 2020.

Edit made on September 14, 2020.

Edit:  If the original promo was meant to expire at 11.59 pm ET on Wed. 16th Sept., then that should have been included in this announcement so no-one was confused about the timeline.

@Korth Everybody else has monthly billing. So technically PM does cost a few dollars more each year, though Loyalty Rewards counteract this added cost.

any prepaid system is 30 days not monthly. so pm does compete with the other 2 providers(chatr+lucky) 

it's still better than $35/1.5gb...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

$30/2GB was kinda good.  This plan is pretty awful.  Might as well pay $5 more and get an extra 3GB.  

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

That still would not make it comparable... still not LTE  

Why would LTE be such a big deal? Why would no LTE be a deal-breaker?

LTE wouldn't improve any real-world usage, browsing, apps, social media, etc. The latencies are the same, the data sizes aren't big enough to make a difference greater than a few dozen milliseconds.

LTE would improve streaming. Let you watch videos at glorious 4K. For about 20 mins before fast LTE gobbled your entire 2GB data allocation for the month.

embarrassing

Nobody's going to get excited about this plan.  I also wonder if this annoucement might get recalled. I think that Public is really going to hear it from members about this one.

Prediction on next move:

Should we also expect $22, $30, $37, $43, $46, and $53 regional plans?

@Korth wrote:

PM - $33 for 2GB "3G" (with AutoPay and BYOD)

Lucky - $35 for 2GB "3G" (with Automatic Top-Up)

Chatr- $35 for 1.5GB "3G" (with Auto Pay)

Freedom - $30 for 1GB plus 5GB bonus "LTE/5G" (with Auto Pay, Digital Discount code, BYOD, in-store only)

Seems competitive enough for the Canadian market to me.

PM also offers Rewards. And PM sometimes offers free gifts. Nobody else does.

Everybody else does offer some sort of unlimited throttled data. Worth it for some people.

PM has 30-day billing. Everybody else has monthly billing. So technically PM does cost a few dollars more each year, though Loyalty Rewards counteract this added cost.

And this $35 plan allows PM to offer $30 promo when it's the season to attract more new customers. (Though I wish they'd offer more promos in the $10 and $50+ ranges.)

I would argue that PM is only marginally more competitive.... but $2 difference to lose direct phone support? That is questionable as to whether this is truly competitive. Pricing used to be more appealing... The bigger value proposition for PM is not so much the $2 AutoPay discount but long term from loyalty discount, and potential referrals.

@Jb456 wrote:

At least make it $34 for Quebec with Auto-pay $32 considering Fizz mobile (QC provider under Videotron) has 2 gigs of full LTE, Canada wide for $32.

That still would not make it comparable... still not LTE  😕

PM - $33 for 2GB 2.5GB "3G" (with AutoPay and BYOD)

Lucky - $35 for 2GB 2.5GB "3G" (with Automatic Top-Up)

Chatr- $35 for 1.5GB 2.5GB "3G" (with Auto Pay)

Freedom - $30 $35 for 1GB plus 5GB 10GB bonus (with Auto Pay, Digital Discount code, credit card, BYOD, in-store only)

PM seems competitive enough for the Canadian market to me. [Even after edit to update all the offerings.]

PM also offers Rewards. And PM sometimes offers free gifts. Nobody else does.

Everybody else does offer some sort of unlimited throttled data. Worth it for some people.

PM has 30-day billing. Everybody else has monthly billing. So technically PM does cost a few dollars more each year, though Loyalty Rewards counteract this added cost.

And this $35 plan allows PM to offer $30 promo when it's the season to attract more new customers. (Though I wish they'd offer more promos in the $10 and $50+ ranges.)

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@David_J wrote:

Hey Community,

Effective September 17, 2020, the following price plan is being offered. This offer is available for new and current customers.

Plan details:

$35 for 2 GB at 3G speed

• 30 day plan
  • 1.5 GB Data at 3G speed
  • +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging

How to get this plan: 

New Customers

Current Customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan that you want.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan that you want. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

@David_J  is this a joke? not impressed at all 

blairs1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So once again, this is the plan that makes no sense

hyT

So the recent (August 2020) $30 for 2Gb (500Mb+500Mb with Autopay+1Gb bonus per 30 days) was really a limited time offer after all.

At least make it $34 for Quebec with Auto-pay $32 considering Fizz mobile (QC provider under Videotron) has 2 gigs of full LTE, Canada wide for $32.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Sorry to say that this plan is not as impressive as the recent promo plan.  $30 for 2GB.  It just makes more sense for customers.  Should have made it a permanent price plan.  

This $35 plan.... pay an extra $5 and get 3 GB data.  $40 plan makes more sense.  

Need Help? Let's chat.