cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing the new and improved phone compatibility checker

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

We’re happy to share that we just launched a new and improved phone compatibility checker, with particular improvements made to the database of devices that it can check. This makes sure that joining us is simple as 1-2-3!

Checking your phone compatibility will be a two-step process as follows:

1) Select your phone brand and model from the dropdown menu to check your compatibility.

s1EN.PNG

2) If you purchased your phone from elsewhere, you can check if it’s reported lost or stolen-

s2EN.PNG

To give our IMEI checker a whirl:

1.      Go to the Get Started page
  2.       Scroll down to 1. Check your phone’s compatibility

Let us know your thoughts down below!

P.S. If your phone is missing from the list of devices, leave us a note here so we can keep on improving our compatibility checker. 

-Public Mobile Community Team

40 REPLIES 40

spencerdesign
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

While brwing for new phones and then checking compatibility I found quite a few phones are not listed in the checker

Naty74S

Missing model Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RASLC wrote:

I have a Galaxy S10e international edition and when I checked it with this is couldn't find it in there. I'm happy to know that it works though when I bought a sim card, but I was kind of uneasy about not knowing if it would work

Yeah there ought to be a clear disclaimer that not all devices are listed and that not being listed does not mean not compatible.

That's a lot of negatives 🙂

I might make RossN's brain hurt again 🙂

RASLC

I have a Galaxy S10e international edition and when I checked it with this is couldn't find it in there. I'm happy to know that it works though when I bought a sim card, but I was kind of uneasy about not knowing if it would work

Bailey12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is great news. I’m sure the new customers will find this easy to use and appreciate it. Great job!

khamakazee

Ok sounds good, thanks.

kelvinKK

Yes, if you have the LG G5 Canada version.

khamakazee

Hi, anyone know if and when the LG G5 is compatible? 

smp99

Lots of phones missing.  Even some that are currently for sale on Koodo. Samsung A70 is one. 

How lonk ink does it take to add a phone?  

Car

Its an good system if your phone is  included in the list but when its not and you put in you IMEI is just does the lost or stolen not anything about if it would work on the system... That is disapointing. 

Adding new features is great, but removing features much less so... This results in some users getting lost thru the cracks. I guess I'll just consider myself luck that I signed up and checked my old phone before this change... neither my personal or my work phone are listed... (for context the work phone is less than a year old and the personal is greater than 6 years)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lawnbowler 

To add: about all you need there is to check it for being lost/stolen. The compatibility is just a bit of a cya for them when you come back screaming that you paid all this money and the phone isn't compatible. The list is administered elsewhere too so it may not even be 100% accurate or complete. As you found.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lawnbowler wrote:

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is not on your phone compatibility checker (it should be, it is an excellent phone). So, I lied and entered another Redmi model to get your service, having already purchased the Sim card

@Lawnbowler 

FYI, if you already know that your phone model would be compatible, you can simply skip that part of the Get Started page instead of entering fake phone model info. If you have the SIM already, you can head straight to activation, as the other listed steps are simply there to inform you of what's needed.

Lawnbowler

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 is not on your phone compatibility checker (it should be, it is an excellent phone). So, I lied and entered another Redmi model to get your service, having already purchased the Sim card

kelvinKK

I am  using LG V20. It works very well in Alberta. Sometime I am on 4G+ also. I will put on compatibility list.

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Very handy. No issues with the old one embedded in the 'getting started' process.

jordan23

Hi @Alan_K , very useful tool! I noticed that the Samsung Galaxy S10 and A70 are missing from the list so please add them too, thanks!

TheStamp

Confirmed that the service works with Razer Phone 1!

@spencerdesign wrote:

I have selected a phone I would like to buy, but the checker won't let me enter make and model - it just flips to the IMEI number box 

Me too but I think the first post in this topic is just screenshots of the checker, not the actual checker! This had me stumped for several attempts as well so don’t feel bad! Attempting to click on it in the initial post opens the picture and clicking on it again to enter phone make just advances you to the next picture (the lost or stollen phone checker that asks for IMEI number)

Go here for the actual phone checker:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

Then in “1- Check your phones compatibility” click the blue circle with down arrow to open the checker.

Terry

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Lg v20 appears to be missing as well as the v30... And V40. 🙂

If your phone works with Koodo, it'll work with Public Mobile as we're both using the Telus network.

dna2016

@Alan_K  Nice to see the additional option, will definitely help people make phone buying decisions as well (check before you buy). 

robodonster65

Could you add Moto g dual SIM unlocked for being compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Moto G7 Play is not on the list and works great with Public Mobile!

@spencerdesign wrote:

I have selected a phone I would like to buy, but the checker won't let me enter make and model - it just flips to the IMEI number box 

Did you try here...willmyphonework.net ?

Did you use it before with which company?

spencerdesign

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Congrats on launching the phone compatibility checker, @Alan_K !

Many of us hated the old checker and wanted it gone long time ago Smiley Very Happy

tyedye00

Great thanks! This will help people for sure!

@Alan_K another to add....

Is Blackberry Motion compatible on Public Mobile?

I've tried the phone compatibility check and my phone isn't listed.  It's a Blackberry Motion and I'm on the Koodo network, but would like to switch to Public Mobile.  Surprising that it isn't listed, is there still a way for me to get a Public Mobile sim card for my phone?

sand--29

That is great.  I couldn't get the old one working.  I guess it was because it was being replaced at the time.  Thank you for doing this.

PMFanatic

Great feature! Very intuative and easy to use... Smiley Very Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.