cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 6 GB at 3G speeds for $45!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of November 20, 2018: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

As a competitive response, effective October 24th, 2018 we are bringing back our 6GB at 3G speed for $45 plan for a limited time only.

Plan details:

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our Self-Serve Account Management help article here.  

What happens if the “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you choose to change your plan to “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

72 REPLIES 72

@ghostae

You will need to contact moderator directly if you want to do account changes in the middle of your plan.  But, the wait times are 2-3 days.  

send a private message to moderator through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Include your phone number, account number and PIN.

What you could do is to change your plan at your next renewal date (not immediately) to the $45 plan for 6 GB....  in your self service account.  

ghostae
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi alan, i just recently changed my plan to the $45 plan for 4+1 bonus gig. is it possible to have my data changed to the promo 6 gig for $45?  since im paying that currently

@belaclynch

Does your data work?  For picture messaging, your data must be turned on with the appropriate APN settings.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@belaclynch wrote:

The plan says it has picture messaging when I select it but once I have It, it no longer says that, nor will picture messaging work on my phone

No longer says what where?

You might need to check the APN settings. And you have to have the cell data on even though you might not have data in your plan.

belaclynch

The plan says it has picture messaging when I select it but once I have It, it no longer says that, nor will picture messaging work on my phone

Lorna152
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's a great plan if your going to watch videos on your phone. Just remember 6GB go fast 

ghune

If you're doing heavy usage of date, you'll more likely want LTE plans.

Actually, I use quite a lot of data, but it's just by browsing the Internet. You could use 2 Go a month and need a LTE plan or use 10Go and be fine with a 3G plan.

I personnaly have never felt restricted at any time with my LTE capped plan. Probably because I use the Internet for not-so-demanding tasks. The funny thing is that most people complain about the fact that 3G speed is ridiculous, yet, many could switch to those plans without realizing it.

@kacey, look at the Overview page of your 'My Account' information.

If your package description says 3G Sped, you're on a 3G Speed plan.  If you just see X GB of DATA, you're on the LTE data plan.

They both run on 3G and LTE networks, however, the 3G Speed plans when running on the LTE is slowed down to what you would see as potential maximum speeds of a 3G network, but with the 'quick access' of the latency of LTE.

If you're just doing social media, minimal media streaming at a normal or low quality, you'll be okay with the 3G Speed plans.  If you're doing heavy usage of date, you'll more likely want LTE plans.

kacey

What's the difference between having it at 3G speed vs. LTE? And how do I check my current plan's speed?

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I dont think it matters what they call it.  I just enjoy the cheaper pricing. I was paying double at Bell before I switched.  Just my 2 cents.

But if they call it a regular plan, the carriers they are reacting to will do the same, and we can’t have everyone having the same, but still different plans advertised.

PM is no zones, throttled LTE to 3G speeds.  Chatr and Lucky are regular 3G, in zones, and slower.

dna2016

Great plan at a great price.  But i've seen this promo a number of times now, might as well just make it a permanent regular plan.  This feels kind of like the Nike Store or Foot Locker, where all year round it's buy one get the other 50% off promo.  Just make it a regular and stop calling it a promo.  If it's always here then just call it what it really is.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mb1952 wrote:

I can see no reason not to switch from Koodo $45/mo Unlimited and 2GB, except it seems to be 3g instead of 4g.  Can someone tell me a problem I don't see? And how does one port their number?

PM is not for business or your job is depending on your phone because the moderator response time is 48 hours or more. 

You should get a temporary number from PM and test the service before porting your number to PM.  Your phone number must be active in order to port your number.  Login to your self-serve account.  Select

[Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Transfer a wireless or wireline number ]

@mb1952 wrote:

I can see no reason not to switch from Koodo $45/mo Unlimited and 2GB, except it seems to be 3g instead of 4g.  Can someone tell me a problem I don't see? And how does one port their number?

The "3G" plans are still actually LTE connection but just a throttled speed and people aren't noticing any issues with  hat in day to day use.  If you are on Koodo prepaid you will need the assistance of the mods and right now that is a problem as their response time is probably around 72+ hours.  If it is Koodo post paid you can port your number over at activation time or as some recommend actiave a PM sim with a new number and then Port your number (I have always ported upon activation.)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mb1952

I'm on the full LTE data currently, and when I force the phone to use the 3G data network, the latency certainly is noticeable to me.  It is much slower to get the data going than if I'm on the LTE network.  I don't have a 3G Lite plan at this time to compare apples and oranges, so my result may not be what others are experiencing or may expect.

I rarely get the higher LTE speeds, as I live and work inside buildings that block the signal heavily.  I'm considering again to move to the 30 day plans to make the payment schedule more friendly, but I'm still unsure if I wish to give up the LTE availability that I have at this time.

I'm also entertaining the idea of dropping the Fall Promo, to return to my previous plan of 6GB over 90 days, as I still don't use more than 2GB per 30 days.

@popping wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Effort wrote:

Makes sense they're offering it again. Chatr never stopped offering it and they probably grabbed a few customers because of it.

But those Chatr customers will leave soon after trying as the Chatr 3G capped at 3Mbps data.  It is slow.

@popping this PM promo plan is also capped at 3Mbps....  is the Chatr data really that much slower?  I have no personal experience, so I'm genuinely curious.

Chatr is trying to make their data works as bad as Mobilicity.  I cannot use the 3G data inside my local Superstore.  I have to go to the front door to load a page.  I use Flipp app to price match when I shop at Superstore.  

I wonder if that's a network problem with Rogers at that store, rather than Chatr messing around with things.  3Mbps should be more than fine to load a flyer, although a slower speed would obviously make loading take possibily a few seconds longer.

I would say that nothing beats how bad/how congested Wind got at one point: Speedtest.net results of 0.00, 0.01Mbps, or "network communication error".

I found that Mobilicity was actually much more reliable than Wind, at least in places where Mobilicity advertised themselves as having service. I would say that Wind definitely had more strange things happen with the connection.  I even found that Mobilicity's signals generally able to travel farther than Wind's.  Mobilicitiy's problems was always the small amount of coverage area.  Aftter Rogers bought Mobilicity, they did throttle Mobilcity customers down to 0.5Mbps for a while for some strange reason.

Back around 2010 or so, I also remember that Mobilicity was a consisent 3Mbps download speed.  Rogers' 3g data network speeds were consistently around 1Mbps at my home, but this was likley completely congestion, because late into the night, it would sometimes get up to 10Mbps or so.

When it comes to Public Mobile's 3g data plans, the general consensus is that most people will be fine with 3g-like speeds when connected to the LTE network.  I'll go a step further.  I don't even think most people will even notice a latency difference between the 3g and LTE networks.  From my testing, I've seen pings on 3g network almost identical to LTE, and other times maybe only 10 to 20ms higher.  If I were on a 3g plan, I'd seriously consider setting my phone's network type to 3g, simply because of the ability to get about 15Mbps download speeds.

popping

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Effort wrote:

Makes sense they're offering it again. Chatr never stopped offering it and they probably grabbed a few customers because of it.

But those Chatr customers will leave soon after trying as the Chatr 3G capped at 3Mbps data.  It is slow.

@popping this PM promo plan is also capped at 3Mbps....  is the Chatr data really that much slower?  I have no personal experience, so I'm genuinely curious.

Chatr is trying to make their data works as bad as Mobilicity.  I cannot use the 3G data inside my local Superstore.  I have to go to the front door to load a page.  I use Flipp app to price match when I shop at Superstore.  

Remember when I said that these plans weren't going anywhere because Chatr was still advertising $50/8GB?   Sure enough, the $50/8GB continued on at Public Mobile (just advertised differently), and then, the $40/4.5GB came back.  At that time, a jokingly gave a spaceship liftoff-type countdown for the $45/6GB plan.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-4-5-GB-at-3G-speeds-for-40/td-p/287...

Well, surprise, surprise, yet again.  The fact that these plans have been available for months now, I believe it's time to stop calling these promotions.  Based on that, I also believe that customers now consider these to be the regular plans and prices.

Effort

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Effort wrote:

It has the same latency as Public Mobile when using 3G which really sucks during peak hours or busy intersections. I used to use about 2GB of data out of the 6 I had with Chatr. Now with Public Mobile and with the "LTE Lite", I'm at 3.5GB this month. Data goes by quick when it actually works when you want it to.

srlawren

@popping wrote:

@Effort wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@Effort wrote:

Effort

ghune

I'm not surprised by those plans. They want to push customers toward more expensive plans, even if they have to offer much more data for it. The money is in the plan, not what you offer for it.

I'm pretty sure that an aggressive, cheaper plan would make many people switch from the popular 40$/4.5GB to this new attractive cheaper plan. I have this 40/4.5 plan and I'm far from using all of this data. In fact, I would make the switch as well.

So I understand that they are reluctant to trigger a massive migration of customers toward cheaper plans and make less money. Indeed, there is no competition for those plans. The compeition is in the 40/50$ range. It's pretty much my budget, so I'm ok with that. They would offer 10Go for 50$, I would not take it.

A 30 dollars plan for 2 GB data would be perfect for me... but it's ok: I pay a bit more for more. I'm still very pleased with PM. I still can't find better right now.

srlawren

@ute1978 wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

As a competitive response, effective October 24th, 2018 we are bringing back our 6GB at 3G speed for $45 plan for a limited time only.

I don't feel like this creates excitement anymore.

@ute1978 to be frank, it's not really meant to.  It's meant to prevent a flood of people choosing the competitor(s) due to excitement there.  Zero innovation, merely zeroxing competitors' offerings (granted--thankfully as already noted--minus the dreadful zones).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Now PM is talking 😁😀

ute1978

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

I don't feel like this creates excitement anymore.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:
This service is the only one I know that has a completely broken password reset. 

Only for those usernames that start with stone. 🙂 It worked fine for me just a couple days ago.

Password reset/change seems to work if you are already logged into your account and want to change it.

If you have forgotton your password your, the link or process to reset it seems to have failed. 

I just did this.  I didn't login and hit forgot password went through the steps an got the email within a minute

II the time since the issue was last marked [RESOLVED], I've never received the email - it's not in SPAM, it's not in the 'Bin', it's not in my 'all emails' view.  Back office tech at Public Mobile have monitored for my email address (the one I enter and confirm on the password reset process), and it's not being sent out.  They don't see it at all.  

I'm testing it again today - so far 10 minutes, no email yet.

@smp99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:
This service is the only one I know that has a completely broken password reset. 

Only for those usernames that start with stone. 🙂 It worked fine for me just a couple days ago.

Password reset/change seems to work if you are already logged into your account and want to change it.

If you have forgotton your password your, the link or process to reset it seems to have failed. 

I just did this.  I didn't login and hit forgot password went through the steps an got the email within a minute

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smp99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Not from my experience.

But the fact that it's not rock solid for all users makes it problematic. And frankly, embarrassing.

Need Help? Let's chat.