I agree. I would’ve definitely went for other stores if only there was one haha. Only Walmart exist closer from where I live.
Some retail reps are incompetent and work only to get paid and not genuinely helping. Post online here or go to another retail outlet to verify if doubtful at anytime
This is a great deal - keep in mind there are two promos going on right now for Public Mobile - one is "online" and one is "in-store" - different benefits with each option. The best one for new users is the "in-store" option.
Great cell phone plans - lots of them - one is $40 unlimited Canada wide calling and 5GB of 3G data, no set up fees and free SIM card available TODAYand SUNDAY only. Just be aware that to get the "next 30 days free" (after 30 days), you MUST sign up for a 30 day plan and you MUST do it "in store". There is no "next 30 days free" deal for a 90 day plan. Public Mobile is owned by Telus so you get nationwide coverage wherever you would get Telus - Telus is one of the big three so coverage is not an issue (Stay away from Freedom Mobile). Message me if you need a referral.
I recommend going to London Drugs if you live in Western Canada. The one at Robson and Bute is the one I used and recommend - 1187 Robson street, Vancouver.
I signed up five weeks ago for the same deal.
DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE WITH YOUR CURRENT PROVIDER - you will lose your number if you do that - Public Mobile will take car of that for you. Once you are sure you are getting service from Public Mobile, it is OK to check with your OLD provider.
There are a few drawbacks that you should be aware of
1) It is 30 days NOT a month
2) It is a pre-pay service so you have to pay ahead and ensure there is enough in your account at renewal date or set up autopay via a credit card - you can and should do that - you'll save $2 a month if you do that. Setting up auto-pay is a little finicky accepting your credit card address - have your name and address on your Credit Card EXACTLY the same as your Public Mobile name and address.
3) There is no live support - all questions are handled online ONLY.
4) To get all that data, you get only 3G speeds. 3G is still plenty fast - you can watch 1080p video with 3G. If you really need LTE, you can select that option, but it will cost more - absolutely unnecessary for me. And, turn OFF LTE too is my recommendation. 3G is slightly faster than "throttled LTE" and I have encountered "missed calls" with LTE on.
5) The ONLY potential problem, as far as I can see, is when you change your service initially to Public Mobile when you go in the store, e.g. London Drugs. You have to be on the ball for this. Although not required, I recommend printing your bill from your current provider with your account number and address on it and bringing it with you to the store. They are going to give you a new SIM card and port your old number to that SIM card so you can keep the same number. Your time in the store is about 15 minutes - sign some stuff and set up payment etc. but it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to "port" your number to Public Mobile and to your new SIM card (you don't have to wait around for this at the store). That process should go smooth but if it doesn't, go back to the store. Don't deal with it online. At London Drugs, they have a direct line to Telus (Public Mobile) to fix porting issues and activation issues. I call it the "bat phone", but it's ONLY for porting and activation issues. Ask them at the store if they have a "bat phone". If they don't have a "bat phone" go to another store that does.
Just got back from the 1.5 hour drive to the nearest Public Mobile retailer... A "Wow! Mobile Boutique" kiosk in Kingston.
I mentioned the flash sale to the employee, who didn't seem aware of its existence. Then he tried to access the site, but was unable to do so on his computer. Seemed to be offline.
So he just gave me the SIM card and assured me that I would have the first month free credit by registering myself at home. As I'm reading now, though, it seems I may have gotten screwed...
@mjat87, Unfortunately, the rules for the second month free are that you need to activate in store. However, all is not lost. If you activate at home, and enter a referal (another PM customer's phone number), you and the referrer each get $25. Depending on the plan you would be taking, it might be close to the second month free. Unfortunately though, you had to pay for the SIM.
@abTest So, I did enter a friend's number as referral when self-registering. I do not, however, see reference to that having happened in my bill / account summary. No $1 "refer a friend" reward, no $25 credit... Perhaps they will show up in time?
And I did not pay for my SIM card. The WOW! employee just gave it to me for free. I hope you're not suggesting that I am not eligible for the $25 referral credit because I did not pay for the SIM.......
@mjat87, Getting the SIM for free does not make you ineligible for the $25 referral (or the ongoing $1 referral bonus for your friend). The $1 referral will show up in your friend's self serve portal. He should get a notification at some point. Also, the $25 bonuses will take a few days to show up.
Welcome to Public Mobile!
Okay, all sounds good. Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I'm badge hunting now, this is kind of fun. Can I get a single bravo?