cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big News: We just launched even better rate plans!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Public Mobile Community team 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

261 REPLIES 261

hearty_meal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The changes will take effect on your renewal date if that's what you requested..

@ds123 Have you tried in another browser like Chrome and Firefox? Also in private or incognito mode?

If you still have trouble, PM staff can make these changes for you. 

ds123

I like the changes and want to switch to a 90 day plan.

PROBLEM: The system just says wait  ... and never makes the change. I followed the change plan link, selected the 90 day plan, then clicked the change on next renewal date button. A message pops up saying "good things come to those who wait" but it seems I have to wait for ever and the change is never made. I've been trying to make this change for months with the same result.

How do I make this change happen?

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hahaha I agree, global texting is an additional feature that is not frequently used, but occasionally it is useful. 

@hearty_meal wrote:

Money grab plans!

Take from the poor and give to the rich. 

Sure you will keep the high data users that are PM members, but you will have trouble problems

getting new user to join PM. 

Who needs global texting. Force everyone the take global texting so that the high data users

can get more data for less money,

90 dollars for 90 days, province wide talk, canada wide texting, 1gb data..

NEW 111 dollars for 90 days, province wide talk, global texting, 3gb data.

That's 21 dollar difference!

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hearty_meal wrote:
Who needs global texting. Force everyone the take global texting so that the high data users

$21 difference to get global texting + 2 GB more. In my opinion that's a good deal.

BTW, there is no price difference in the plans which include data if you take "global texting" or "no text". I consider the "global texting" as a free bonus.

pylon

Same here, I only need 1GB/90 days and think it's a shame that that option is no longer available. Good thing I got it while I could!

hearty_meal

Money grab plans!

Take from the poor and give to the rich. 

Sure you will keep the high data users that are PM members, but you will have trouble problems

getting new user to join PM. 

@timothyfriesen I guess that is the reason to offer a special plan with higher discount to target medium data users. I agree with that since most users wants about 2GB per month. Yes they slightly lack in terms of heavy and light data users. But who knows, if things run smooth they might find another way to target all users...

timothyfriesen

I am very happy to be able to receive 6 GB per 90 days for the same price as the 4 GB that I was paying for before.

However, I am concerned about the price of the 12 GB per 90 day option.

Here are some calculations:

Per 90 Days:

Unlimited Canada Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

3 GB of Data

$126

Per 90 Days:

Unlimited Global Text

6 GB of Data

$135

3 GB of additional data costs $9

Per 90 Days:

Unlimited Global Text

12 GB of Data

$201

9 GB of additional data costs $75 (compared to 3 GB in my initial example)

6 GB of additional data costs $66 (compared to 6 GB in my second example)

Why does it cost $66 to go from 6 GB to 12 GB when it only costs $9 to go from 3 GB to 6 GB?

It would make much more sense if it cost $18.

Can someone from Public Mobile please comment on this price discrepancy?

McLaren

@Mary_M great just sent you a pm!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @webeye @McLaren

Can you both send me your phone numbers via private message ?

Also include the plan you'd like and I'll make the changes.

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

McLaren

I'm in the same boat still waiting.  They're probably off for the long weekend 

webeye

I PM'd one of the PM moderators yesterday morning requesting my 90 day, 4GB plan be upgraded to the new 6GB plan. I haven't heard anything back yet, and was just wondering what others have experienced as far as turnaround time. I don't want to find myself beyond the 45 day window in which we have to upgrade.

bondmi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is great, wish I would have know before renewal in the last day or two..

Everything good about Public Mobile...

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Edison53,

I see your situation now.  Makes sense.

In your scenario, PM wants us to request the plan chage via inbox message to one of the moderators @Shazia_K or @Mary_M.  Unfortunately, this was not mentioned in the original post but was discussed in comments.. easy to miss because there were so many comments yesterday.  Hope this helps.  

Edison53

I have two 90-day accounts, each with different start dates. From previous messages, it appears *my* account cannot be upgraded (from 4GB to 6GB, same price) until the next billing cycle.

My second account, for my daughter,  *does*, however, qualify to be upgraded to 6GB now.

Unfortunately, while the FAQ says this is possible, it does not say *how.*

Went to online service and there is no option to upgrade immediately without repaying for the three months of service I have already paid for.

As I said in another message, all of this would be simpler if PM simply switched those of us with 4GB to 6GB.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow. Good job PM!

I'm truly impressed.

@neoceltic wrote:

My renewal rate is $135 ut I am on a $90 plan. Can I keep this plan and will it show as the renewal amount?

Yes you can keep it. Please read this: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Rate-Plan-Changes-that-did-not-go-Accord...

neoceltic

My renewal rate is $135 ut I am on a $90 plan. Can I keep this plan and will it show as the renewal amount?

deljo_agtor

@makkahn28 wrote:

The ONLY 2 differences mainly:

Legacy has call center support, BUT no Rewards benefits like Auto-Pay

New $60 has NO Call support, BUT has the Rewards thing

I'm a little confused at your statement.  Are you saying that the legacy plan was $60 for 30 days and not per month as they pic you posted suggests?

Just kinda odd to see deja vu, Old $60 meets the New $60, lol

The ONLY 2 differences mainly:

Legacy has call center support, BUT no Rewards benefits like Auto-Pay

New $60 has NO Call support, BUT has the Rewards thing

deljo_agtor

@makkahn28 wrote:

PM Old vs. New.PNGThis is what I got for the 30 DayOld PM Plans.PNGThis was the Old Legacy for PM Plans prior to the change

The difference I see between the two is that for the legacy plan, you'd pay $720 per year whereas with the current plan you'd pay $730.50 per year (averaged over 4 years to account for leap years)

PM Old vs. New.PNGThis is what I got for the 30 DayOld PM Plans.PNGThis was the Old Legacy for PM Plans prior to the change

deljo_agtor

@chreds wrote:

>> The new one should be $5-$10 cheaper to reflect on the ommit Call Center

It is on a 90-day plan.

Unlimited Canada/US Talk + Global Text + 6GB data = $150 = $50/month.

Chris

No offence to anyone here but you can't compare 90 day plans to 30 day plans...they are not the same.  90 day plans should always be cheaper then their 30 day counterparts.

deljo_agtor

@makkahn28 wrote:

What I meant, was how can the new plan, 30 Day Unlim Can-US Talk + Global Txt and 2 GB Data that has no Call Center support cost the same as the Old Legacy $60 that has a Call Center support.

The new one should be $5-$10 cheaper to reflect on the ommit Call Center

Because it probably cost them nothing to offer the call centre support.

chreds

>> The new one should be $5-$10 cheaper to reflect on the ommit Call Center

It is on a 90-day plan.

Unlimited Canada/US Talk + Global Text + 6GB data = $150 = $50/month.

Chris

What I meant, was how can the new plan, 30 Day Unlim Can-US Talk + Global Txt and 2 GB Data that has no Call Center support cost the same as the Old Legacy $60 that has a Call Center support.

The new one should be $5-$10 cheaper to reflect on the ommit Call Center

McLaren

@kav2001c I'm sure it doesn't cost them more.  They just get routed to koodo /telus call centre reps

@makkahn28 I think he was being facetious since Public discontinued call centre support

Although I still scratch my head at cost savings since many clients still on Pioneer & Legacy plans who can call in

Need Help? Let's chat.