Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on November 17, 2021

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

On November 17, 2021, the Government of Canada will conduct an Alert Ready Test to compatible mobile devices in each province and territory. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test message will be distributed on TV, radio and compatible wireless devices. The emergency alert will display on customers' devices, accompanied by the alert sound, unless your phone is set to vibrate, silent or turned off. However, not all wireless devices will receive the test message. This may occur for various reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage, and device software and settings. 

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca

-  Public Mobile Community Team 

43 REPLIES 43

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I will get this test while in Ottawa at a conference should be interesting to see how many phones go off in the conference room.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Super appreciate the heads up

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Please don't happen at 3am!

😂

thompsonpaul
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For those of us on older phones that don't have the capability to receive these alerts directly, there are apps for both iPhone and Android that connect directly to the Alert Service to provide the National Alerts (and actually some more useful info as well.)

For Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.artermobilize.alertable&amp%3Bhl=en

For iPhone
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/alertable/id1277488940

These apps will also work for those who have set their phones to 3G only or WiFi only, where even compatible phones wouldn't receive the alerts.

Here's a comprehensive list of phones that aren't compatible (phones newer than the date of the article should be compatible with the Alert system).

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@0PX9O4 I'm curious, what methods did you use?

I know one was is turn device to wcdma only, but I'm curious what you've done 

(Just to say, I'm not against them, but I am however disabled, rarely out, and ultimately of no help if it's something such as amber alert. I don't even face a street lol. As well I do believe there could be beneficial tweaks they could implement on their end)

@Pawprints1986 

I used the steps outlined for a Samsung phone in the following thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/boxx11/how_to_disable_amber_alerts/

@Pawprints1986  As you thought, the phone is likely set to 3g only to block alerts. Alert settings won't block it.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

In the past I've rarely got these, even while on the LTE network with good signal. Odd. 

Dtack
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the advance notice!

Pawprints1986

@0PX9O4 I'm curious, what methods did you use?

I know one was is turn device to wcdma only, but I'm curious what you've done 

(Just to say, I'm not against them, but I am however disabled, rarely out, and ultimately of no help if it's something such as amber alert. I don't even face a street lol. As well I do believe there could be beneficial tweaks they could implement on their end)

Lets see how it will go. I hope it will work good when real issue occurs...

sunflowershine

Thanks!

Good to know. Thank you.

0PX9O4

Thank you for the announcement, this is super useful to know in advance!

For me this will be a test of whether or not the steps I took to disable such alerts on my Android phone were successful 😂😛😇

Need Help? Let's chat.