Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I hope 2024 will bring joy like this post!!!

@Public_Cust_17 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker ugh.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, another duplicate thread - I replied to this user earlier this morning, on a post from yesterday.

Very much the same information.

srlawren

@Dunkman wrote:

@kuyakubaga

Once the promotion is over, you will be able to keep the same rate.  

However, in the future, Public Mobile can increase rate.  Public Mobile has not recently increased the rate of their plans.  Any mobile company can increase their rates in the future....

@kuyakubaga as @Dunkman noted, you get grandfathered on your promotional plan "indefinitely", but not guaranteed to be forever.  At some point in the future, Public Mobile could raise the plan price provided they give you 30 days notice (typically in the past, affected customers were notified via text message).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kuyakubaga

Once the promotion is over, you will be able to keep the same rate.  

However, in the future, Public Mobile can increase rate.  Public Mobile has not recently increased the rate of their plans.  Any mobile company can increase their rates in the future....

kuyakubaga
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know if we get charged the regular rate whatever the plan might be when promotional period is finished ? I am a new customer and want to port over from freedom mobile.

Oh speak of the devil.... Cat Mad

@drmartin wrote:

@Nebula wrote:

Those that dodged also got an amazing deal, so it isn't too bad.

What did they get, I missed that part... 😉

Similar plans were offered over on Koodo

This whole mess was just handled badly though

If they had of led with the carrot and not the stick there would have been much less complaining

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nebula wrote:

What did they get, I missed that part... 😉

Nebula
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

F9ne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It really is unfortunate for all of those that dodged out of their plans out of fear for the price change.

@dev_chris wrote:

I consider myself fortunate to have joined the plan this late in the game. 🙂

Chris the plan being offered right now isn't the same.  The one they are talking about in this thread is the full LTE not LTE lite or 3G that the current promo is

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dev_chris

I consider myself fortunate to have joined the plan this late in the game. 🙂

@MoreYummy wrote:

Wondering if this migration offer still valid after so many weeks?

If you qualify, you would have received the text on the expiry.  The offer was extended from March 15 to March 31.  It is done and dusted. 

srlawren

@MoreYummy wrote:

@MoreYummy this one?  no.  I believe the is a currently active migration out there currently, but it's targetting different set(s) of customers and offering a different Koodo plan than this offer was.

@smp99 wrote:

I'm on the Fall 2016 promo. If PM offered me the same plan with Cda wide for the same cost but changed to 3G, I think I would change. But that's me and the way I use data.

The plan you want is only $5 more.  With the bonus data, you do get something for the extra $5 beyond Canada wide calling.  If you using add-on long distance minutes, that adds to the monthly cost and so maybe spending the extra $5 per month is justified. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm on the Fall 2016 promo. If PM offered me the same plan with Cda wide for the same cost but changed to 3G, I think I would change. But that's me and the way I use data.

@danlee wrote:

So this plan is only valid for those existing customer that did not terminate the plan.  $120/90 days 12GB 4G + text + talk... Why aint PM offer that to new customers?  You could increase your customer based by continuing with this promo.  

Are you asking why PM hasn't offered this again?  I don't think since the targeted promo for Freedom customers there has been a promo of LTE plans.   In my opinion it seems that PM is trying to move all LTE customers over to Koodo as that is who all the targeted migration offers are going to.  It seems to be very clear that PM is more into promoting the 3G plans especially since just recently they upgraded those plans to Canada wide calling for the same price as the Province wide plans

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

danlee

So this plan is only valid for those existing customer that did not terminate the plan.  $120/90 days 12GB 4G + text + talk... Why aint PM offer that to new customers?  You could increase your customer based by continuing with this promo.  

WOW... 792 messages in this thread!

Obviously a fast one was attempted and failed!  Glad to hear so many consumers sharing their voice! Thumb Up

slavitch
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Oops.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, Telus make profits 😃😄, Dave don't have to raise money for PM guy's now 😁

ToniCipriani

Telus' Q1 results are out. 48k gained post-paid, 43k pre-paid lost, wireless sub base remains practically unchanged. Blames "competition".

Coincidence? Face With Tears Of Joy

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/10/telus-q1-2018/

On the regular payment of $184 (AutoPay discount applied), if you went to Koodo on Day number 6, you broke even.  You can't include the addons, as you don't even know if you would ever use them fully, and you'd have to get a new sim anyways, which is now $30 in person, or waived if done online.

Sure factor in your rewwards and other such things, even switching over 15 days in isn't a bad deal.

I didn't take the offer, becuase I would never use the 6 GB/mo offered on the final switch promo, I do not need Canada Wide calling, and the few rewards I get drop my plan to about $90/90 days.

I'm more than happy here with PM, and if the cost goes up, I'll switch to a 3G Speed plan to reduce my costs to something similar.

drewdub

$10 sim card, $120 fee, $15 US LD is more than $100. Plus added my card for more autopay savings...   

So yeah a rip off, which is why they reversed it avoid penatlies from the ccts, but thanks.

@drewdub wrote:

now that my prepaid time is coming to and end, making it not a giant rip off to join koodo, i cant seem to get anyone to accep the GOKODO404GB code.

does that mean it is over, and that if i re-up i wont get another "surprise" during that 3 months saying the amount i paid wont be enough?

It never was a rip off to join koodo and the promo got even better to where they were offering 6GB for $40.  They offered $100 bill reduction to cover any lost pre paid time with Public Mobile.

@drewdub wrote:

now that my prepaid time is coming to and end, making it not a giant rip off to join koodo, i cant seem to get anyone to accep the GOKODO404GB code.

does that mean it is over, and that if i re-up i wont get another "surprise" during that 3 months saying the amount i paid wont be enough?

That Koodo promo is over. Reemember PM is prepaid; whatever plan you choose and pay for is all you pay for 90 days. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

drewdub

Jonavin

They’ve always increase fees since the begging of cellular plans. Back in the old days they changed some of teh components of fees that you had to pay for such as system access fee or voice mail or call display fees. This is why I have been so against companies charging for these things. It gives them too many opportunities to raise prices on contracts because your base price was fixed.

Now we still have price increases on overage on data and minutes. Those just keeps going up. How is it that it’s cheaper to roam in Canada with a T-Mobile plan than it is for overages on a Canadian plan? Unless laws change, they will always point to the clause that they can change prices at any time.

Need Help? Let's chat.