cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous subscription rate

JayKoufax
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Without ditching public mobile, how do I do better than my 3GB for $35.00 with this provider? Do I have to cancel and then resubscribe to get 30GN for $25.00?

21 REPLIES 21

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow.. I need some of your referrals.. 🙂
Great work.. 

@Camera4617  Again I couldn’t agree more with you and I have done exactly that kept one plan that has rewards and created another with new plan I wanted so to have best of both worlds 

Handy1_0-1703698154104.pngHandy1_1-1703698191485.jpeg

Camera4617

Agree, but it is what it is. On the other hand, even myself who was only on 15$ plan (plus 4GB data from Fido), switched to this 34$ 5G 40GB + unlimited plan as it is just too good with loyalty, autopay and referrals. I don't need any of  'add ons' anymore unless I switch plan back. Companies make decisions, we as customers if don't like and are too important to us, we can change providers. This is just businesses and we take our money where we want. There is no loyalty here, if it is good for both (customer and provider) then we stick. If not, then we change. Just be pragmatic. 

@Camera4617  Your absolutely correct only thing I don’t like that PM had done is get rid of non expiring data add on (now expire 30days after purchase ) that and yet to give out Nov 2023 rewards and here we are almost 2024 . But other then that yeah PM rocks 

Camera4617

PM will never change your plan, regardless if it is good or bad. As I said, there were multiple times much better plans that you could have changed it, so not that PM was not giving you an option. As for customer support, when I needed it (and that was mostly when moving line to PM), they were able to help me, so that's good enough. Once you ported number, I did not need it so, it doesn't matter to me. With other companies, you probably use customer support to ask for better deals, and nothing else. It is your money so whatever you think is better, just go for it. Don't expect that PM will change because you think they should. PM is what it is, prepaid third tier provider with only online support and that is. So, if Freedom Mobile sounds good, then just go for it. People change providers all the time for many reasons and that's normal. I will just say that PM improved a lot for the last 6 months with much better priced plans, eSim and an app which was a big surprise to me. But if PM works for me and many others, doesn't mean it works for you. 

d_

My brother has been with Freedom Mobile for 2 years. No increase has been applied to his bill and he's extremely happy with Freedom. He automatically was increased from 3G to 5G as well. If PM increase my speed to 5G from 3G I probably wouldn't be complaining much as I have never used more than 2.5 GB of data in a month. I feel PM should be more flexible with current customers and should have better customer support. 

d_

My brother has been with Freedom Mobile for 2 years. No increase has been applied to his bill and he's extremely happy with Freedom. He automatically was increased from 3G to 5G as well. If PM increase my speed to 5G from 3G I probably wouldn't be complaining much as I have never used more than 2.5 GB of data in a month. I feel PM should be more flexible with current customers and should have better customer support. 

Camera4617

PM is nothing different than other providers when offering plan to existing customers. Most of time, great deals are for new subscribers, but sometimes they do have for anyone, like they had around Black Friday where you were able to get 5G plan for 34$ and 40GB data. They also had plans in the past, that were much better than that one. So, you also need to check what they offer and switch when you find something. I used Freedom Mobile once and would never again, but that's your choice and it might work for you. So, don't expect anything to be served to you, and I'm sure if you change provider, you'll have similar complaints. I do keep PM for multiple reasons such us, plans price don't increase, loyalty discount, autopay discount, referral discount, ability to change plan whenever you want, good reception. If PM is not good for you, then change, it is simple as that. It is business and your money, so if you feel you don't get what you should, easy to change providers. 

d_

I currently have the same plan as you (3GB for $35.00) and wanted to take advantage of the 5G for $34.00. Freedom is offering 30GB for $34.00 at 5G and have far superior customer support where you talk to an actual person on the phone. When I leave PM I will be taking at least one other person with me. 

d_

I have the same issue as yourself. My fix is to join Freedom Mobile as they have a similar $34.00 a month plan and far better customer support. 

@JayKoufax   ". Wow. I think the industry standard is $35 or $40 for 30GB+ and 4 or 5 GB speed. Why would anyone want to maintain their PM account"

You can get 60GB unlimited for $40 at 5G speed with Public Mobile currently, including for existing customers.  Actually the equivalent of $38 given the $2 points value.

@JayKoufax   "How do you keep your old phone number?"

Just to clarify, you keep your old phone number if you simply switch plans within Public Mobile, just that you can't get the plans that are for new activations only without porting out and back.

JayKoufax

That's what I thought. So I am stuck with 3G speed and 3 GB for $34.  Or switch providers. Wow. I think the industry standard is $35 or $40 for 30GB+ and 4 or 5 GB speed. Why would anyone want to maintain their PM account?

@@JayKoufax  you would need to port number out of PM to new provider to only port it back in the newly created PM account with new email then you used before . Or just take a new number from PM 

You can't @JayKoufax , if you did what @Handy1 did.

The ONLY way to do that would be to port your initial number out to another provider (or holding service), then port it back into the newly created account.

Kinda costly to retain the number, but the only way.

JayKoufax

How do you keep your old phone number?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@JayKoufax  That’s an option and what I had to do to get then50GB for $34 is create new account with new email to get the plan I wanted 

Handy1_0-1703694111164.jpeg

Cheetah24

@JayKoufax: No as far as I know there is not 30GB plan for 25 dollars; the 25 dollar plan that we have currently is 1GB. And yes historically I remember they offered a plan of 5GB for 35 dollars which is probably what you have.

JayKoufax

Must be the 5G and 5GB plan for $35 offered to the public. I thought thr $25 3G plan was also 30GB

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@JayKoufax  Not sure what you mean, you can change plans within your account yourself since PM is self serve and get something much better currently

Cheetah24

@JayKoufax: You can log into your account and then choose the plans from there; however I am not sure what plan you are talking about when you say 30GN for 25 dollars. The plan that is offered to all members is 1GB for 25 dollars. For example you can see all the plans that are currently offered here; https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#ALL (for BC make sure you choose the right province).

When you login, you'll see all the plans that are for existing members. And you can change into any plan that you are offered.

Need Help? Let's chat.