Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cancel my plan for temporary

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv wrote:

@WenjieYu wrote:

Hi,

I would like to cancel my plan from May to August, because I have a trip outside Canada.

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

@WenjieYu 

You can always go into suspended status then reactivate under the cheapest plan - $15 Plan so you do not lose your account, even if you are not back yet. At least this way you will not lose your number.

NO... bad and incomplete advise...Read this very in-depth post on the subject:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

25 REPLIES 25

@darlicious wrote:

I don't disagree with all of computergeek's choices but since none of them are open for discussion I do tend to be highly critical of most of them....its the scorpio in me.😃🦂

Yes, at times has bothered me too to see some of the splitting off or other actions that oracles take that often seem out of place. And I am sure there is bias at play too. But I have learned to ignore it. Actually, I have learned to keep my involvement here minimal. There is far too much pettiness and sensitivities that are just not worth wading through. Often feels like school yard squabbles or uponemanships.

@dabr 

Thank you for your reply...it is appreciated.

I don't disagree with all of computergeek's choices but since none of them are open for discussion I do tend to be highly critical of most of them....its the scorpio in me.😃🦂

@darlicious    Sorry, I didn't think I was pulling you into this argument as you had already been actively participating in it.   

Yes I was surprised to read that you actively private messaging Luddite about his choices of accepted solutions and I had no idea how frequently this was done until you clarified that it's only done occasionally.    I'll also admit that very occasionally I'm surprised with the solution accepted by him, which would also include, once or twice, a solution given to my post, when I personally would have selected (IMO) another poster.     Of course, quite often that goes the other way too, so in the end it all feels a little like "six of one, half a dozen of the other" and, therefore, hardly worth fretting about.     I have no doubt that sometimes awarding a solution one post over another is going to be difficult, however, I'm quite happy to respect that decision since this a voluntary (as I understand) part of his oracle duties.

I take your point that some of my words could have been better chosen in my previous post and will edit accordingly,   However, I still find the idea of private conversations, about the merits of a chosen solution in an effort to change it, a little troubling and would much prefer that being discussed openly.  

BTW most of the time I don't really care if Computergeek chooses to move parts of thread to the Lounge if the discussion is no longer relevant to the question asked by the OP and believe he was justified in moving this one.

@dabr 

Well gee thanks for pulling me into the "argument" and for basically insulting me by calling me sad and pathetic without actually naming me but reiterating my comments. I have not asked for, commented nor expected my reply with the link to @pm-smayer97 comprehensive post to be chosen as the solution. I simply gave the OP the opportunity to read that post for them to be fully informed.

I gave @pm-smayer97 a suggestion if he felt the solution should be changed or if he wanted an explanation to why it was chosen. Yes I have taken this route...a couple of times concerning a post of mine but many times concerning other posts because I didn't understand why it was the solution not because it was undeserved....just simply not understanding the solution itself.

I also believe in giving credit where credit is due and for some a single solution is very hard earned and a source of pride and achievement. If they are overlooked and a solution given to a member that earns 2 or 3 a day compared to maybe 1 a month....( add @AE_Collector here...lol😃he gets the inside joke believe me!) then I don't think there is anything wrong with privately championing their cause...

I find most but not all oracles are open to discussing the reasoning behind their comments or the use of their privileges. They should be....it fosters better understanding, less miscommunication and better co-operation and collaboration in the community. It's part of the role of mentoring other members that they are supposed to undertake when they become an oracle. We are supposed to work together to achieve a common goal.....a better community.

And I'm going to say it....this thread should have been moved to the community board as it is a healthy and open discussion on how to get along ( or not) with other community members and hash it all out. But then again the community board is an abyss of flagged and moved posts so what's worse?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr : I used to thank Luddite for the solutions until I learned he did the same for everyone. But I certainly don't go begging for a solution when I might have thought my post was more worthy.

I thought your solution post was entirely fine. I don't think it needs to be changed. I agree...the other reference post is way tl;dr.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@WenjieYu wrote:

Hi,

I would like to cancel my plan from May to August, because I have a trip outside Canada.

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

@WenjieYu    You can only suspend your account/plan for 90days (from last payment due date) by removing your payment card, or if there's a balance in account enough to fund your plan, then suspend your account by selecting Payments tab, Phone Lost/Stolen, then Suspend Service.

Make sure to make a payment on around day 85/86th to prevent your number and account being deactivated.

not sure why this was accepted as the solution. It is short-sighted and very incomplete as it does not take into account different scenarios. Be sure to read further in this thread for more complete and accurate information.

"So much ado about nothing..."      

Something about the above sentence strikes me as sort of  ironic!!

So I'm not sure whether to be amused or disappointed by one or two people in this discussion who seem to think that my response was somehow not worthy of being selected as a solution because apparently one of the other responses (posted a day later) linked to a more detailed post of the pros/cons of how to/or not to put an account into temporary hold which, I assume, should have been selected as the solution instead.  

I'll also admit to not reading that link (I might have read some of it a year or so ago), which I'm sure is fine but also perhaps too lengthy for most people to bother reading through.   Although, of course, OP (or Luddite) always had the option to select the "superior" response and I certainly wouldn't have given it a second thought if that had happened as I'm only signed up to get a notice for when one of my posts might gets accepted as a solution and usually have no idea when other posts get awarded the solution in threads I've participated in, nor do I care enough to worry as to who got the solution or why.

I'll also admit to being surprised that anyone goes to the trouble of sending private messages to an oracle(s) in order to get a solution he may have accepted and get it changed.  

BTW @Luddite   please feel free to change the solution you accepted in favour of any other posts in the original thread, and I can assure you that I won't take the least bit of umbrage/issue with it.

I suppose, @Anonymous 

But I'd like to think the Oracles would only weigh in if they had something valuable to add. 

That may or may not be the case...

.. again, my point in the beginning was that the comment was not just harsh but rude.

you can add  extra information if you find it fits  

I really don't see a point to argue why a solution was awarded to someone or not.  Again, if you disagree, just post the better solution you think .. but no need to criticize other's solution or criticize why a solution was awarded

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS wrote:

If Public Mobile (or the Oracles) feel differently, they should chime in on such threads and provide conclusive advice for the particular situation.

@HALIMACS :

No thanks. Then you get the authoritative mic-drop that I quite dislike. Then what they say turns out to be false or misleading itself which we frequently hear about from the mods and less frequently that we all see from Oracles. They can Bravo. They can post "wts". They can repeat-post. But I'm not interested in reading mic-drops.

The rest of the regulars are just as well able to answer conclusively without looking authoritative. If not, there will be a correcting post shortly after.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous   Again, I was not yelling or shouting at anyone (a few words in CAPS don't usually count). I never meant to be off-putting. Sorry.

Hey @pm-smayer97 

I would submit it's totally OK to be passionate about one's beliefs - just be thoughtful how to share those beliefs without denigrating others' who may feel theirs is equally worthy.

@computergeek541 wrote:

To all: There's no place for all this back-and-forth arguing. Everyone said so far what they had to say. None of this arguing is helping the OP of the original thread.  if there are personal disputes, these should be handled privately. Thanks.

@computergeek541 

I agree whole-heartedly with your decision to relegate this to the Lounge.   

@pm-smayer97 should have pursued their disagreements with the prior posts of other users either via Private Message or with much more tact within the original thread.   

I do feel, however, that a "back and forth" can be helpful to an OP if the content is constructive and helpful.   The forum should allow for differences of opinion to be shared when there is not a clear-cut answer to an OP question or several possible outcomes in which an OP may pursue.   If Public Mobile (or the Oracles) feel differently, they should chime in on such threads and provide conclusive advice for the particular situation.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@HALIMACS 

This forum is all about helping people. To dispel any notions that anyone might think, that is all I am about around here.  I can assure you it is not about getting credit or anything else.

Not sure what the objection is to that goal.

@pm-smayer97 

Did I at any time critique your motives?   Why remind me this forum is all about helping people - you don't think I know that?   You don't need to "assure (me) it is not about getting credit or anything else".   

Frankly, I don't care WHY folks chime in on things on this forum or what their ultimate goal is, only that they do so with a level of decorum.

If folks want to come here just for the rewards then so be it.   There's nothing saying they can't do that.   Heck, Public Mobile throws that carrot out there for that very purpose (so they don't have to hire extra staff to do their bidding).  

If folks want to come here to write long and detailed replies which, while it may be viewed as helpful to a select few, then fill your boots.

I scanned your response - it seems very well thought out and helpful.   Perhaps you can petition Public Mobile to make it a Get Help article on the topic.

Have a great day!!!

@Anonymous   Again, I was not yelling or shouting at anyone (a few words in CAPS don't usually count). I never meant to be off-putting. Sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97 :

Delivery.
So yet another thread or part of thread happens where someone is wondering about pausing their service. The more active regulars offer up some replies that would help the OP. No one wants to read an essay on everything. They just want to get going. Then you decide to show up whenever you like and notice the thread.
So you pipe in and maybe say something like:
Hey, mostly good info here but if you wish to read up on some more detail and ramifications of choices then please click this.
And link to your reference thread. iirc you have another reference thread (or more?) that you did much the same thing. Something about RSS notifications or something.
Stomping around yelling wrong wrong wrong at everything you see in those threads is, shall we say, off-putting.
I know you've been here a while. About 6 months longer than I have. I also made a reference thread about 611. I don't go around constantly yelling at people for not suggesting the right, fully complete, everything about it. I will (I think) politely correct the mis-information. Nor do I link to it. I just think that's self-serving. But that's me.
Delivery.
Participating - not over-bearing, demanding, belittling, dismissing, authoritarian of others participation.

@computergeek541 

Well I'm not arguing with anyone I simply suggested that if @pm-smayer97 feels a better choice could have been made by the oracle choosing the solution then there is an option for that. I also know said oracle is always open to reviewing his decision and changing it or at the very least explaining his choice in a clear and concise way that I personally have rarely disagreed with and usually learn from.

If you are going to split and dump threads in the abyss maybe you should do a better job of not lumping every post that falls after your line in the sand in with the "offensive" lounge worthy ones and place them back in with the original thread when they have relevance.

But your word is final around here....kryptonite....maybe....we will see...we will see.

To all: There's no place for all this back-and-forth arguing. Everyone said so far what they had to say. None of this arguing is helping the OP of the original thread.  if there are personal disputes, these should be handled privately. Thanks.

Oh and I see now without realizing it....another oracle has who in my opinion is overzealous in his use of a certain privilege has done it again! Well I guess its another one for my personal archive for my annual summer crusade.

This might be easier than I first thought!

@pm-smayer97 

Incomplete....yes a better choice of word. My suggestion still stands as I've done it myself more than once as I don't believe an oracle's choice in using their privileges should be considered final if when appealed commom sense over rules.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

So much ado about nothing...

I am not criticizing ANY person... I am merely dealing with info.  So there was nothing personal intended. Yet all of you are making it so.

Sorry for trying to provide accurate info.

SMH....sheesh.  (Never thought I would ever us that abbreviation)

(and now this whole discussion has been moved to The Lounge...removing accurate posts from the thread by @computergeek541 .... just supports my frustration around this forum where facts do not seem to matter).

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious   No... not incorrect... incomplete that can lead to mistakes and people losing out. That is my motivation.

@HALIMACS 

This forum is all about helping people. To dispel any notions that anyone might think, that is all I am about around here.  I can assure you it is not about getting credit or anything else.

When I see incomplete info, especially if it that can lead to losses, I will point it out. Though the accepted solution is "a" solution, it does not give users context nor the complete picture so they can make proper educated decisions. That solution may just work for them BUT it also may not. You and I have no way to know for sure. I like to equip people with all the info when it is available. It is that simple.

So that is why I am pointing any readers to where they can get the complete info.

Not sure what the objection is to that goal.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

not sure why you think that  anyone is yelling. I only had a few words that were in caps...I just find it faster to type than bolding. But just so it does not look like yelling I changed it...is that better?

But if you think that my post is all about rewards, then you clearly have not read it completely. It is also about preserving time, and preserving features tied to Autopay, to which several PM promos have been.

P.S. If only I could tell you stories about how many times it has been frowned upon (and worse for posting the same replies multiple times, even though it was accurate and appropriate to the thread. You have NO idea! I used to be far more active in the past but gave up because of that kind of dislike, being seen as posting too much... as if too much help is a bad thing, simply because it was repeated too much (even though it was not in the same thread).

@pm-smayer97   so, we  are here searching for a perfect answer for Nobel Reward - Public Mobile Category?

I think OP or Oracle has the right to choose the best answer he/she thinks and best in his/her situation.    A well round answer with 10+  "If this then do this situation" could be a perfect Knowledgebase article.. but the selected Solution might be the best for OP situation, could be it is simple , easy enough for OP and others to follow.

I don't think we need a panel to evaluate each and every single solution selected here.  Or each selected one, the OP or Oracle has to come back and write to each one involved in the thread to tell them why they lost?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

Please, for the love of Disney, just....

HALIMACS_0-1621723316713.gif

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @WenjieYu 

If you're NOT attached to the number and haven't been with Public Mobile for more than a couple years (thus have a couple bucks/month Loyalty Reward you've earned), just remove the auto payment information and the account will permanently deactivate after 90 days in suspension.

If you ARE attached to the number and don't want to lose a longer standing plan with potential earned Loyalty Rewards, you could 'lend' the service to someone remaining in Canada to 'use' while you're away.   The great thing about doing this is there are NO OVERAGES so you will not have to be concerned with the person costing you more than the plan you select.

NO... bad and incomplete advise...Read this very in-depth post on the subject:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

Need Help? Let's chat.