cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC admits that we have high wireless prices !

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think this is worth a read

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/05/20/crtc-chair-says-its-hard-to-sustain-low-wireless-interne...

“If you’re asking me if rates should be lower for wireless in Canada, the answer is yes,” Scott said. “If you’re asking me if rates are too high, the answer is yes.”

3 REPLIES 3

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Competition is easier said than done.  Over the years I have to come to learn that it is not easy to compete.  If it was a slam dunk proposition why would Shaw abandon ship to join Rogers?  It talks a lot of money for Shaw to be competitive.  They did not see future visibility with the current path.  

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai wrote:

When are they going to realize we need more competition? Simply an easiest method to lower prices quickly unless they prioritize big 3 with any movements in telecom...

Probably a few years after Freedom merges with Rogers. I think they already realize that we need more competition but they dont want competition. 

Tied to our prices are lots of Jobs and $48bn that gets poured into the economy. If the CRTC allows MVNO's into Canada imagine how crazy it would be, there would be so many new startups because everyone would be rushing to develop their own MVNO's. The CRTC would loose money and they wouldn't want that to happen, thats why everything moves turtle pace at the CRTC.

They've slowly been making changes to allow more competition but its just not working. The fact that the regionals can use the big 3's towers are great, but they STILL have to purchase spectrum to operate, none of that means lower prices for us.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

When are they going to realize we need more competition? Simply an easiest method to lower prices quickly unless they prioritize big 3 with any movements in telecom...

Need Help? Let's chat.