cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Blog Post] A Tale of Two SIMs: Navigating the eSIM and SIM Card Landscape

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Welcome to the future, where the traditional SIM card is taking a digital leap. Enter the eSIM, a revolutionary innovation that's turning heads and changing the way we connect. eSIMs are here to bring more flexibility, convenience, and, quite frankly, a little bit of tech magic into our lives. Curious to know what an eSIM is and how it stacks up against the classic SIM card we’ve all come to know? Stick around as we dive into why Public Mobile is leading the charge in this digital evolution. It's the future of connection, served up on a virtual platter, and it's all about making your life easier.

What is an eSIM?

An eSIM is a digital SIM that allows you to access a cellular plan without having to insert a physical SIM card into your device. With Public Mobile, getting an eSIM is as simple as selecting it during the subscription setup process or switching over from a traditional SIM card. It provides instant activation, enhanced security, and the ability to have up to two phone numbers on select devices. That’s why Public Mobile is providing eSIMs for all eSIM-compatible phones.

Advantages of eSIM vs Physical SIM Card:

• Quick and Easy Activation: eSIMs offer immediate activation within minutes, allowing a hassle-free setup.
  • Flexibility for International Travel: You can use a foreign carrier’s eSIM plan when travelling outside of Canada, making roaming more convenient.
  • Dual SIM Functionality: Depending on your device, eSIMs enable you to manage multiple phone numbers, making it easier to switch between personal and business lines.
  • Environmentally Friendly: eSIMs contribute to a greener planet by eliminating the need for plastic SIM cards.
  • Device Compatibility: Most new devices, including the iPhone XR and Samsung Galaxy S20, support eSIMs.

Managing Multiple Accounts Using eSIM:

With eSIM, managing multiple phone numbers on one device becomes effortless. You can label each line individually to differentiate between numbers, switch between eSIMs, and control which line accesses mobile data at any given time.

International Travel and Roaming:

Public Mobile's support for eSIMs enables you to switch to a foreign carrier's eSIM when travelling. Upon your return home, you can easily switch back to your local eSIM without any disruption to your Public Mobile subscription.

What Devices Support eSIM?

Most new phones, including popular models like the iPhone XR, Samsung Galaxy S20 and newer models, support eSIMs. Public Mobile provides a simple verification process to check your phone’s compatibility during the subscription setup. 

The Green Bonus – Environmentally Friendly!

By eliminating the need for plastic and reducing waste, eSIMs represent an environmentally responsible choice. Choosing an eSIM is not only a smart move for your mobile needs but also a thoughtful decision for our planet.

In Conclusion 

We hope this post has helped you understand the choices between a physical SIM card and an eSIM. Whether you like the quick and easy way of an eSIM or the familiar feel of a traditional SIM card, we want you to choose what's best for you. At Public Mobile, we're happy to offer both options for our new and existing customers. So whether you're trying something new or sticking with what you know, we've got you covered.

Phone (2).png

24 REPLIES 24

Keaton_Paul98
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

I have purchased my subscription for $50 a month. And I am unable to download my ESim.  

aks2021
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

What happens to my eSIM if my phone is damaged lost? 

Mossmyster33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The only difficulties I have with Public Mobile Sims is that when you order them may tend to take a very long time to get delivered

Mazzie

@Handy1 Happy New Year to you also.

@Mazzie  Good point . Best of luck and happy new year 

Mazzie

@Handy1 yes physical Sims do have the advantage to change to other phones. I currently have dual physical Sims in my phone, plus an eSim. One advantage of eSim is that you can have multiple ones if needed and when travelling a lot, sometimes you need them. If PM decide to go the way of Airalo and other eSim Companies and are cheaper, then I will definitely look at that instead of having to freeze my account for 90 days every time I leave Canada to go to another Country.

@Mazzie  True and I have heard good things about Airalo . And for travel  it’s great . But for here at home I like the physical sim simply because I change devices often and it’s easy to take sim out of phone and put it in another one . Where as with eSIM you would need to rebuy a new eSIM every time you want to switch device or test a device or if you ever have to do a factory data reset your physical sim is still good to go but eSIM again would  need to be re purchased . So I see eSIM as a money grab unfortunately. But imma bit of a conspiracy theorist too . 

Mazzie

@Handy1 I must admit, it could be interpreted either way to be honest. I really love my global eSim as it's really simple to use as we travel a lot. It lasts 365 days too which is a bonus.

@Mazzie  I interpret it to mean use a foreign carriers eSIM . Not use your PM eSIM abroad . That’s my understanding . But truth be told I’m not a fan of eSIM at all I still prefer physical sim anyways 

Mazzie

@Handy1  if this is the case then why is the information above posted by @J_PM stating the following:

International Travel and Roaming:

Public Mobile's support for eSIMs enables you to switch to a foreign carrier's eSIM when travelling. Upon your return home, you can easily switch back to your local eSIM without any disruption to your Public Mobile subscription.

This sounds like PM is stating that you can use the Esim in different Countries and then switch back to your home Country when you return to Canada. It is a confusing way of saying things.

An eSim is not much good if you are only able to use it in your own Country and then have to buy an add on to only be able to use it in the US. I think I'll stick with Airalo until something here changes, if it ever does.

@Mazzie  I haven’t hear of any plans for now PM only works in Canada and the US wth roaming add ons . So anywheres else in the world and PM just won’t work unfortunately. And I don’t see this changing anytime soon 

Mazzie

Is there any information regarding being able to use the Esim in different Countries? Is there only 1 class of Esim. I currently use Airalo, because it gives me many options to use in many Countries. Does Public Mobile have any plans to introduce global Esims, Local Esims and Regional Esims? I haven't yet been able to find out where to get information on a Public Mobile Esim, other than at the top of this post.

Ben_godkin80
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

I love it ..

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM 

Great idea these blog posts but why are they posted in the lounge? Not only do they confuse the purpose of the lounge.....but how are people supposed to find them ? Lounge threads are unsearchable. There is zero chance a customer looking for info on these topics will find them using the search bar. The latest post no longer floats threads back up to the top and seriously who uses the filters? I know I don't. So all your time and effort producing these blog posts are all for not.....as they will slowly slip into the abyss never to be seen again except for the very curious or very bored members who like to dig around old posts. Put them in announcements at least....they could even be tagged if you put them there. They are a waste in the lounge.

I don't know about you but I think I need a shot of tequila about now?!! 🥃🍋🤪

Topgun87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it worked perfectly.  Instructions are on the website.

https://www.airalo.com/

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Elen  Yes you can switch back to a physical sim from eSIM 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've used this and it worked perfectly.  Instructions are on the website.

https://www.airalo.com/

Molly11

Terrific!  Wondering how this works with travel to other countries?  How do I remove and add a SIM card?

Rict

Will be nice to be able to transfer e-sim to new phone. 

Elen
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

If I purchase an eSIM may I switch back to a physical SIM card after that? 

hoyjoygang

@J_PM Thanks for the informative post.

Given we have the eSIM support, do we have any plans to support cellular smartwatches in near future? It would be great to know as I am currently debating whether I can stay with PM when the new smartwatches roll out in September.

Thanks again for the amazing support.

Priority

Better yet a 'One time purchase' e-SIM would also be suitable, so if you buy an e-SIM the first time, you are able to change it to any other device for free from the account you originally purchased e-SIM from. 

😊😊😊

Priority

Very informative post that was very much needed. Thank you! 👏🤝🙌

If you want to know how to install an e-SIM with an existing Account I have a step by step guide with screenshots here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Buy-e-SIM-Guide/td-p/1033580

Full e-SIM Activation Guide for New Activations here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/e-SIM-Activation-Guide/m-p/1020154#M71133...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@J_PM 

It is nice that both new and existing customers are able to purchase eSIM cards.  Hopefully, in the future, customers are able transfer eSIM cards from one phone to another.  At the present time, to transfer eSIM to a new phone, customers need to purchase a new eSIM for the  new phone.  

Need Help? Let's chat.