cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with iOS 18

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

I purchased an iPhone 13 Pro Max last month on Facebook at a good price.

The owner indicated that the screen is a 3rd party aftermarket screen installed by a local repair shop.

Everything was working fine until last Monday. I installed the iOS 17.7 and the iPhone was working fine then I installed iOS 18 and the screen went black. I can hear the iPhone was working but only a black screen.

I took it into my local Apple Genius store and they plugged it into their laptop and reset the iPhone…no luck.

They said because it was an aftermarket screen. The latest iOS could cause the black screen.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Just a warning not to install iOS 18 if you have an aftermarket screen on the later iPhones.

8 REPLIES 8

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You could use itunes to restore the phone to ios 17.7 https://ipsw.me/iPhone14,3 

sometimes, the one bringing the phone for replacement won't know if it is OEM parts or stolen parts, the cell phone shops cheat and this happens a lot

@slusagm 

No it was a stolen screen. The previous owner claims that it was replaced by a local cell phone repair shop.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but nothing worked so I ended up get an Apple screen.😭

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@fixin1 @AK32 

Thanks I tried connecting to iTunes but the iPhone is not responding to iTunes.

I will try other options before deciding what to do with the iPhone. The screen replacement at Apple is $429 plus taxes...more than what I paid for the iPhone.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@BKNS27 - Maybe do a forced ISPW downgrade to 17.7 via 3U Tools on Windows (Free) or Finder by using an ISPW download service and holding the option key when pressing on Restore iPhone.

It is probably due to the recalibration availability on Apple Original Parts from another iPhone.

Also if you can, maybe try out the iOS 18.1 beta in case it is a bug in iOS 18 (Like the iPad Pro M4 Brick)

AK32
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is very interesting, appreciate the heads up as this is news to me that they can blackout an aftermarket screen with an ios update.   In the meantime you should look into removing the update and go back to ios 17, you will need to plug the phone into a computer/laptop to do it, maybe ask the repair shop if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, but at least then you should be able to use your phone.   (i personally rarely ever do updates, i find they cause more issues than fix)

Need Help? Let's chat.