cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Just curious who is your home ISP? Are you happy with it? If not a secret, how much do you pay for it?

21 REPLIES 21

@dardarjg wrote:

We have Xplornet for both internet and (VOIP) landline.  Xplornet was able to port our existing (Bell) landline phone number over to the VOIP system so we didn't have to notify anyone of a change of tel #.

Just checked xplornet for my location.......very expensive. 

dardarjg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We have Xplornet for both internet and (VOIP) landline.  Xplornet was able to port our existing (Bell) landline phone number over to the VOIP system so we didn't have to notify anyone of a change of tel #.

@dardarjg 

Who provides your voip service?

Actually for a power OR internet outage….. the ZTE box is better. The ZTE box AND Panasonic land line set both have battery backup then we would use our cell phones. And a bit cheaper to buy a new box outright go with Koodo and they charge $5 a month for Canada Wide calling, but I don’t see Koodo with any add ons and if they do…they are likely per month and not as good as PM. Thus the reason I went with PM and a second hand ZTE box. 

dardarjg

Yes... I had no idea what VOIP was all about till I started looking into cheaper home phone plans.  Now that our landline is connected to the Xplornet router we get the same homephone service at a much cheaper rate than we ever had with Bell landline.  The only time there would be a problem is if our internet went down, we would not have a landline.. but guess what?  If we need to use a phone for an emergency we have our cell phones with Public Mobile... so a win/win 😉

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

dependable internet service is the backbone to your home services. 

Yes, my internet was down for like a full day.. life without Netflix or Youtube, going back to DVD.. just feel weird. LoL

@dardarjg 

So I take it that your landline is voip?

I had a voip land line and loved it. Lots of blocking and lots of stuff you can program yourself. 

They went down for 2 weeks with a DDoS attack. 

I went to another PM $15 plan using a ZTE wireless home phone box hooked up to a Panasonic home phone set. It works well. 

I agree..dependable internet service is the backbone to your home services. 

dardarjg

I think the customer satisfaction/price  of various service providers greatly depends on where  you live... rural or urban.  We lived in Oshawa On for 40 years and had ALL our services through Bell Canada (internet, home phone, mobile, and Fibe TV)   .  3 years ago we moved to a rural area in Prince Edward County where there is not a lot of choice for any services... Had to go from Fibe TV which we loved, to Bell Satellite... which kind of sucks... but that is all we could get.   We kept our Bell mobility account but after 3 years we realized we were paying $115 (for 2 phones/month) and so we switched to Public Mobile at a fraction of the monthly cost.  Next we come to internet service... originally signed up with Xplornet and were happy with that untill good ol' Bell came knocking on our door to say they had expanded their service area to include our rural home... So we switched to Bell internet service and it was horrible because we were on the outer edge of the service area... Ended up switching back to Xplornet after 6 weeks...  And our most recent switch was to change from a Bell landline to a home phone that connects to our Xplornet router... again, a huge savings per month for the very same service.  Just do your homework and check out all the different ISP to see what is available in your area.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Yummy wrote:

Just curious who is your home ISP?

Shaw.

Are you happy with it?

Yes, and no..... yes, because the speed is good, and the only downtime is when the power goes out..... no, because it costs too much.

If not a secret, how much do you pay for it?

As above, too much. ☹️

Durnford16

Eastlink and around $80 monthly 

Shaw ( Telus and Bell) is obligated by CTRC to offer wholesale for 3rd party resale. 

@JK8 wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

I will have to see what happens to Juce when Rogers takes over Shaw. Telus will be my backup plan.

I have read it won’t happen. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

I will have to see what happens to Juce when Rogers takes over Shaw. Telus will be my backup plan.

@hTideGnow wrote:

How about you?  you asked us but you didn't share  😀

CarryTel, 49.95+tax. They resell Rogers, cable 75/10, unlimited, no throttling. Very satisfied. When Rogers is down, they are down.

Unfortunately as everybody else, price is creeping up. Started with $39.99 4 years ago; every 2 years $5 up.

Just beware of third party resellers. Check their reviews, particularly the bad ones. I had TV with Surfnet and was a PITA and their Internet was priced good too. Reselling Shaw and when I looked at the TV issues I had along with the Internet reviews I chose not to. Look at their Google Reviews and here too https://www.gonevoip.ca/surf-internet-provider-review. They go good and then quality and service drops. 

I then decided to have GOOD internet at a negotiated price with Telus and go from there. Now I am back with Telus TV, internet and Netflix on a negotiated price and all is good and not paying much more than the third party products......and no hassles. I just wish I could get 10 channels of my choice and Netflix. TV is crap. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

I am on Juce Internet a reseller who uses Shaw’s infrastructure. On an unlimited grandfathered plan paying $63.78 per month which includes tax. I was on Shaw before, but they kept on jacking the prices up.

I think @hairbag1 mentioned that he was on Can Com before who is also a Shaw reseller. Their prices look very good.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Just internet service, @softech ?

Yup .. just internet.. I know, the the cheapest.  But all plans on Bells/Rogers/Telus these days are not cheap.  😞

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Telus 

$55 for 75mbps copper.

Used to pay $25 for 25mbps but since netflix started in HD I switched to more speed and unlimited data.

Hi @Yummy   I am using Virgin internet.  Not the best speed but good on price

How about you?  you asked us but you didn't share  😀

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy wrote:

Just curious who is your home ISP?

Telus

Are you happy with it?

Yes....flipping cartwheels no. 

If not a secret, how much do you pay for it?

75 speed on copper. 

Just internet service, @softech ?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Yummy   Love Bell Fibe.  But paying close to $100 a month.  I can pay less if I am willing to open a new line using a new name every year.  if  I am willing to do that, then maybe $60/month for a year... but too much work..

Need Help? Let's chat.