cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching plans while overseas

Lonetreejim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife and I plan to go to Europe for 6 weeks next spring.  I am currently on the 5GB, $40 plan while she is on the $15 one.  I have 1 referral credit and the autopay credit.

Is there any reason I couldn’t (or shouldn’t) drop to the $15 or $25 plan while I’m away and go back to the $40 plan when we get back to Canada?

4 REPLIES 4

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Lonetreejim , there's only one possible wrinkle in the plan.  If the $40/5GB plan were to be removed while you are on the cheaper plan, you will not be able to get it back.  If you plan it right, the time at risk is short.  Just wait until a couple of days before renewal to change to the cheaper plan and only if the $40 plan is still around.  As soon as renewal is completed, future date a plan change back to the $40 plan.  You might be looking at two to three days of risk.  Generally, they do provide this length of notice for plan changes.  Well there are always exceptions of course.  The plan builder was eliminated in a heart beat. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Lonetreejim wrote:

My wife and I plan to go to Europe for 6 weeks next spring.  I am currently on the 5GB, $40 plan while she is on the $15 one.  I have 1 referral credit and the autopay credit.

Is there any reason I couldn’t (or shouldn’t) drop to the $15 or $25 plan while I’m away and go back to the $40 plan when we get back to Canada’s?

You can only switch back to a current in-market plan. 

Remember that you can also make use of the 90 days suspension period (absolute maximum, I personally would rather threat it as 85 to have an emergency buffer). That is, if you just park the number. If you rely on the number being active for forwarding to a VoIP service, that would not work.

Edit: I swear this typing on the phone thing triples my reaction time. (And no, this is not Public Mobile 3G speed lag...)

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Lonetreejim 

You are able to change your plans to lower cost.  The only disadvantage is the low risk that the $40 plan expires during your trip and is not available when you get back.  

Other way to suspend your account is to report your phone lost/stolen.  As long as you come back within 90 days, you can just report your phone found and restarting using the same plan. Or remove your autopay and leave your account suspended.  90 days is the key time frame. If suspended more than 90 days, your account and number will be lost.  

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Lonetreejim  hi thats a good idea if you want to keep your accounts I would even drop down to the 10 dollar planSmiley Happy you could suspend them while you are gone but then you are risking problem when you try and reactivate them later

Need Help? Let's chat.