cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Options while traveling in Europe?

I'm traveling to Europe (Spain and France) later this month and was wondering what my best options are for mobile phone use while there. I have an account with Public Mobile but don't see any roaming add-ons for Europe. I will want voice, text, and data. Any suggestions? 

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Options while traveling in Europe?

Public Mobile only offers a roaming option via add-ons for the US.  For the EU, I strongly suggest buying a local service.  Generally, the locally purchased services work in all EU nations.  The price is also a pleasant surprise from what we have to pay here.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you still want to receive calls on your phone number you can setup call forwarding to an app like Fongo where you will still get calls while on wifi or data.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm resurrecting this older question that was already answered.

I'm wondering if there may be any desire or longer term plans to introduce roaming add-ons for Europe.  I'm a very frequent traveller to both the US and Europe, for both short and longer trips, and so there's two things I'd love to see if possible - these are just ideas for consideration:

1) For US roaming, a choice of shorter term talk/text/data bundle for shorter trips (one to five days).  A la ten day bundle, but for five days/$10, or even just a text add-on for five days/$5.00.  That would be helpful

2) For European roaming, a five day and a ten day talk/text/data or just text/date bundle.

Think any of this may be feasible or likely?

I'll admit, I'm pretty ignorant about the reciprocal arrangements between carriers to enable roaming.  I have no idea what the complexities or challenges would be.  I'm just a very loyal PM customer, and have loved the self-serve convenience as I travel and roam.

Mayor / Maire

@ChrisL I doubt there's much tecnically preventing them offering more flexibility such as what you laid out.  I also have no idea what's involved in the roaming agreements, but I would guess (purely a guess) that Telus intentionally excludes PM customers from international roaming as a way of differentiating the less expensive PM product and to entice users that need global roaming to move up-tier to Koodo or Telus, where the customer typically generates more annual revenue than they do as a PM customer (I'm sure there are exceptions to this generality).  

As to why they don't offer more options for duration for the existing US Roaming, again I suspect this is probably more of a marketing decision than anything.  A lot of people that live near the border tend to take frequent shorter trips to the US (day trip, overnighter, long weekend type of thing), so forcing them to pay for 10 days when they only plan to use a few is better for revenue than allowing more flexibility.  Similarly, a lot of people might go for a 2 week holiday to the US, and then need to purchase two sets of 10 days. 

100% of this posting is speculation and I have no actual knowledge of how things are run at PM, but the theory fits the observable facts.  But again, it may be 100% wrong.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

Hello @ChrisL.

I am from France and I will not choose public mobile during my stay there ( for sure the add-on would be more expensive)....it's cheaper to buy a new sim card just few euros there and have a plan for 2 euros per month with calls and texts that you can use in spain and some other countries too. It's very different there..a lot of competition...

Here it's an example...

€ 2/month

Internet in 4G +
50 MB
Calls 2H
SMS, unlimited MMS
Abroad :
50MB Internet
Calls 2H (discounted from the package)
and SMS, unlimited MMS
from Europe & DOM
WITHOUT ENGAGEMENT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Je vous remercie pour ça Lieux.  

Ou avez-vous trouver quelque-chose comme ça, de quelle compagnie en Europe?

Mayor / Maire

Donc c’est la compagnie Free mobile.... et je ne travaille pas pour eux...Smiley Wink

Mayor / Maire

I used LeFrench Mobile last summer in Europe.  I forget the particulars.  I know it wasn't the cheapest option, but what appealed to me was they had customer service in English as well as French (I only speak un petit peu de francais) and they market to and are geared toward travellers/visitors.  The plan I got included roaming within the EU and I think all in it was under $40 CAD and covered me for about a week in Paris followed by about a week in London.  EDIT: I think it was this product https://www.lefrenchmobile.com/product/sim-data-europe/.  Forgot to mention, if you decide early enough before your trip, you can have the SIM delivered to your home/office in Canada before you leave, so you'll have it ready to go as soon as you step off the plane.  Based on current exchange rate, the 25 Euro asking price works out to about $38 CAD (plus probably a couple of bucks conversion surcharge on your credit card).

Had I landed in England first, I would have gone with @Luddite's recommended Giff Gaff.  They had even better pricing, but--and again I forget the particulars--they had a clause where I think it had to be used in England first before it could be used in the rest of the EU, so it wouldn't have worked for me, which is why I went with one based in France instead.  Your mileage may vary.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I have a semi unreated question... I will be in France for 3 weeks and want to suspend my service for a month's duration while traveling but can't seem to find how to do that on my online profile..... I'll re-activtate it the following month when I'm back. Can someone please help?

Thanks!!