cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel in Europe

Nora5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know my plan does not include data etc in Europe but can I use my phone there to connect to wi fi?  I have sent two messages to public mobile with no response. 

7 REPLIES 7

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nora5 

you will be able to connect to free wifi. If you and family use WhatsApp, you'll be able to talk & text for free using local free wifi.

Nora5

Thank you!!

Nora5

Thanks so much!

Frank52
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @Nora5!

Absolutely! You can connect to any local WIFI networks when you're out and about in Europe. You'll likely need to enter the appropriate WIFI passwords whenever you're trying to connect to them. You're then be able to browse the internet without any issue! You can also download WIFI calling/text apps to phone or text friends and family.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nora5 Yes, your phone will connect to wifi while you're in Europe.  You won't get any phone calls, but you could connect to any wifi networks and use your phone's apps and browser.  You can put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on WIFI.  This might save a bit of battery so it prevents the phone from trying to connect a celullar service.  Just remember to turn your cell service back on when you return to Canada.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Nora5 

Community can help

yes, your phone will work perfectly on Wifi. But remember you wont get Text or Voice call using Wifi.  If you need voice calls and text, download Fongo and use the app to make calls and text for free with Wifi.  Of course , you cam also use WhatsApp or FaceTime 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Nora5 

Negative. Your phone will not work outside of Canada or the US. The only real option is to download TextNow and pick a local number to where you live. Then purchase a "data only" SIM card wherever you're going and you'll be able to make calls back to Canada and texting.

Need Help? Let's chat.