cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to change APN

celidhkk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

signed up last week and got my phone working. Got a new phone (moto G8 power lite) this week, put the sim card in and now cannot send pictures. I've gone through how to set up the APN, but on this phone it doesn't seem to allow me to change or add an APN.

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

I can get right up to the "access point names", but then there is no way for me to alter anything or to click to create a new APN setting. Everything I see is light grey (not clickable) and in the top right corner where the three little dots are for more options, the only option I have is to reset to default.

158 REPLIES 158

@tblaing 

There was another way where the moderators would send you a certain kind of file but its no longer available.?. I think @pm-smayer97  did it that way a long time ago.....

@tblaing 

I believe the only option is using a current or used freedom or roam sim card to change and configure your APN. Do you have a friend with freedom? Sometimes they are nice and will let you borrow one at the retail outlet.....

tblaing

Did you ever get this resolved? I just bought the same phone and am having the exact same problem! I have also tried everything everyone in the community has suggested. Please let me know. Thanks.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Umidigi-X-APN-settings/m-p/472632

@celidhkk 

Read this thread it is the same issue and there is a possible solution for you at the end.

@celidhkk 

As I mentioned before and @gpixel  using a freedom sim or one from roam ( they dont have to be active apparently) can be used in these situations to set your APN. Roam Sims may be dirt cheap as they are ceasing operations.

@celidhkk wrote:

@geopublic 

I hope they can, but I will update with outcome

@celidhkk  One more thing to try. Go into the APN menu. Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Select the reset to default option from the APN menu and immediately put your phone in Airplane mode and hopefully this may afford you enough time to perform your APN modifications before that happens again and you lose access to edit them.

@celidhkk  Edit: See above as I had the order wrong.

celidhkk

@geopublic 

I hope they can, but I will update with outcome

@celidhkk wrote:

@geopublic 

yes, I had to contact a moderator. nothing has worked.

@celidhkk  Ok, but I don't think the Moderator will be able to help you with this problem judging from past responses of other customers with similar issues. Please keep us posted.

celidhkk

@geopublic 

yes, I had to contact a moderator. nothing has worked.

@celidhkk  Is this still an issue?. You already marked this thread as solved? Or was there solution to contact a moderator?

@celidhkk using a friend's sim card might be your last option then. if you have a friend with freedom mobile, that might be your best bet. or download google messages app and enable RCS. it works like Imessage and sends texts through wifi or data

celidhkk

@gpixel 

it is already running adroid 9

@celidhkk try seeing if there is an update to android 9 or 10 for your model of phone. 

one thing you can do is if you have a friend with a different provider try inserting their sim in your phone and then try changing the APN settings

celidhkk

@gpixel 

thank you

I did as you suggested, but it still won't allow me to edit. I've held my finger on for 5 seconds and tried sliding in both directions, but it doesn't change or allow me to do anything.

@celidhkk the problem is android 8 causing the greyed out APN settings. try this workaround to see if you can edit the APN

turn ON your Bluetooth for while. Before that you should turn OFF wifi and Data. Then go to APN names, hold your finger few secs on top of any APN, then slide Right to Left. Then it will open and you have the ability to edit APN and save. 

@celidhkk wrote:

@geopublic 

I did check that my data was on. But I can't change the APN settings.

@celidhkk  Noted. When you scan for network operators do other providers come up? Maybe pick Telus and see if it will allow you to modify the APN setting. If it does then change it to sp.mb.com and it should work.

celidhkk

@geopublic 

I did check that my data was on. But I can't change the APN settings.

@celidhkk wrote:

@geopublic 

texting works and phone calls work. Just not picture messaging.

@celidhkk  That means your phone is not locked. You must have data turned on and the correct APN settings for MMS to work.

celidhkk

@geopublic 

texting works and phone calls work. Just not picture messaging.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g8/help/sprint-g8-apn-greyed-t4032637

@celidhkk 

Where did you buy your phone? Read this forum it might help.....or maybe the roam or freedom sim card trick will work.*

celidhkk

@geopublic 

I tried that. I can select Public Mobile as the network, but when I click on APN they aren't listed. It is telus that comes up and is greyed out. I cannot click on any APNs listed (there are three, two list telus, and the third says nothing at all, but it won't let me edit them)

@celidhkk wrote:

@Naepalm 

yes, that sounds like what's happening. Though it did say the phone was unlocked when I purchased it. Hmm.

@celidhkk  if your phone was locked calling or texting would also not work. Is that the case?

@celidhkk reading in the previous post in the forum regarding grey out APN, you could set your network data to automatic then restart the phone and see if it sync up with Public. 

You may need to do a complete factory reset though. If you had to make sure all your data is backed up.

At this point you might want to get in contact with the moderators before factory resetting:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@celidhkk wrote:

when manually trying to choose public mobile network again, it now says network unavailable.

@celidhkk  Restart your phone and try again to select Public Mobile then go into your APN too check if there is an APN setting for it. If your are still having a problem then try the network reset to see if allows you to select PUblic Mobile.

celidhkk

@Naepalm 

yes, that sounds like what's happening. Though it did say the phone was unlocked when I purchased it. Hmm.

@celidhkk 

I did find this: Is your phone new and was never used for another carrier? Maybe you need to unlock your phone. It seems kinda weird but the answers I found regarding APN greyed out were that it may be the network carrier. 

Sometimes, APN settings on your device for a particular carrier may be "locked" such that they are "grayed out" and can't be modified. This is often an indication that they have been set by your currently connected carrier and that you shouldn't need to modify them.

celidhkk

@Naepalm 

yes, straight out of the box. I don't think I'm good enough to change anything major in the phone. Just personalizing.

@celidhkk 

hmmm...This is out of the box as well you didn't add anything to the phone? I'll do some more digging to see about the exact issue with no plus sign or unable to change APN. 

Maybe a full factory reset needs to be done? Do not do that, just wondering. 

celidhkk

@Naepalm  that link was helpful, right up until step 8. It won't let me change any APNs. The reset doesn't seem to change anything, though I've tried 3 times now. And no plus sign appears at the top of my page where it shows it should be in the picture on the walk through. 

Need Help? Let's chat.