cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umidigi X - APN settings

10x10x10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I change or add APN settings to my Umidigi X phone? It is Android 9.0. The APN settings are greyed out and there is no "+" sign. I'm unable to send or receive MMS messages or use my data. Can send regular texts and access internet using WiFi, but not with data. Is there an easy way to do it without buying a Roam or Freedom SIM card? 

58 REPLIES 58

@mehrafsa  Maybe worthwhile to go to the Umidigi support site they have a forum site and ask them if they can make an APN file.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking the icon below:

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mehrafsa wrote:

@geopublic, @darlicious After installing the app and when opening it a dialogue message showed that this app is for the older version of android and might not work in your phone any way running the app and clicking the add APN showed exactly the same empty grayed APN settings that I was seeing using the ADB shell command.

So far the latest version of Android there is no success on adding APN to PM sim.
Anyone knows how can I contact a mod here and ask to see if they could do anyting?

I'm not clear at which point you saw the grey. Was this in the app? Or were you able to enter APN settings and then restart and it went back to grey? Not sure.

In all this time you have _not_ got in the queue with the moderators? Click the ? bubble in the lower right to start the process with the chatbot.

mehrafsa

@geopublic, @darlicious After installing the app and when opening it a dialogue message showed that this app is for the older version of android and might not work in your phone any way running the app and clicking the add APN showed exactly the same empty grayed APN settings that I was seeing using the ADB shell command.

So far the latest version of Android there is no success on adding APN to PM sim.
Anyone knows how can I contact a mod here and ask to see if they could do anyting?

@mehrafsa  Well it was worth a try...i commend you on your fortitude. I thought if I at least called in the Android Avengers team you would have the best possible chance....can you return for exchange/credit. I suppose this version and later is an absolute no at pm......the A5 pro has made the bf quite happy and no issues here.

@mehrafsa  Try downloading this app, install it snd give it s try. It has been reported that it works.

Just remove any sim before running.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuOEnKgDlorEgSAJSAKygMVJs7WX

mehrafsa

Thanks, @darlicious
My phone is android 9 with a security patch update for August 2019. I guess the SIMs swap solutions were based on a hack that is now patched in the recent android. As I explained in the last post of this thread with both sims inserted there is a different tab for each SIM in the mobile network and as I eject the SIMs holder the phone automatically locks and by the time I unlock the phone the mobile network menu is completely grayed out if there is no sim inserted or if any the setting is based on the inserted SIM (no add APN for PM SIM)

LoveMyBolt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Were you able to try this app?

mehrafsa

Thanks, @geopublic for the reply but this didn't work for me as well.

When I remove the sims the phone locks automatically and when I unlock the mobile network menu is grayed out. following your solution after resetting all the APNs for each sim. After taking out the Roam sim phones lock and then the mobile network section is grayed out and by inserting the PM sim the mobile network section becomes enabled without adding APN button in settings and a different look.

My phone is android 9 with a security patch update for August 2019. I guess the SIM swap solutions were based on a hack that is now patched in the recent android. I believe the only solution would be if any of the mods try to push the APN settings for me manually if they even do this for customers.

@mehrafsa  Try this:

Remove all sims and reset APN to defaults.

While the phone is on insert the Roam sim and click the APN + setting.

While the phone is on remove the Roam sim and insert the PM sim.

At this point hopefully the add APN is still available to enter the APN settings for PM.

Hope this helps.

@geopublic's post already describes the software workaround, as did the thread I provided in my own post.

The solution is technical (requires ADB shell, etc).

The better solutions are even more technical (root the device and mod the operating system, flash the device with different/modded operating system firmware, etc).

And the best solution, in my opinion, is to simply return the device to vendor then get a different one which works properly.

Your only other options are to live without mobile data (until Public Mobile starts pushing APN settings, if that ever happens) or switch to a different data provider which does push APN settings compatible with the consumer-locked device.

@mehrafsa wrote:

I tried to use a Roam Mobility solution and also ADB one and none of them worked for me.

After inserting Roam Mobility alone in the Mobile Network/APNs I add new public mobile APN with correct settings but it disappears as I switch the sim with PM and newly added APN returns when I switch back to Roam M. When inserting both sims together it creates a two different tabs in Mobile Network and different APNs for each SIM. So the APN with Roam M can't be selected in PM tab and vice versa.

The ADB solution: after I can see and authorize the device and after running the command the APN gray page shows up suddenly and then I unplug the USB debug and restart and everything is like previous.

I don't know which step I am doing wrong but it looks like nothing works here. If public mobile is not a well-known carrier by new phone makers why they send the lock bits over the network configuration and put their customers in trouble. I already wasted a lot of time and some money with no success.

@mehrafsa  This way above my pay grade...but assuming  you have the Umidigi -X running which OS ? 8.1? Give a little more info and maybe @Korth  @geopublic  or @GinYVR  can weigh in with their expertise and guide you along...someone must have figured out how to add the APN settings by now.

@mehrafsa  So the "add new APN " option doesn't show up for you even though everything is still greyed out?

mehrafsa

I tried to use a Roam Mobility solution and also ADB one and none of them worked for me.

After inserting Roam Mobility alone in the Mobile Network/APNs I add new public mobile APN with correct settings but it disappears as I switch the sim with PM and newly added APN returns when I switch back to Roam M. When inserting both sims together it creates a two different tabs in Mobile Network and different APNs for each SIM. So the APN with Roam M can't be selected in PM tab and vice versa.

The ADB solution: after I can see and authorize the device and after running the command the APN gray page shows up suddenly and then I unplug the USB debug and restart and everything is like previous.

I don't know which step I am doing wrong but it looks like nothing works here. If public mobile is not a well-known carrier by new phone makers why they send the lock bits over the network configuration and put their customers in trouble. I already wasted a lot of time and some money with no success.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fsahmed wrote:

Does the freedom sim have to be a working one ?

No.

The phone and OS will see it which should open the add or edit capability.

There's an unofficial app out there called MyNewAPN that might work too. You'll need to give it some permissions. It's known to work for the similar 8.1 problem. Not sure about 9.

fsahmed

Does the freedom sim have to be a working one ?

fsahmed

Could it be that my data is 3G?

@Dunkman wrote:

Most people in the past have tried the Roam mobility or Freedom mobile SIM card trick.  You can buy Roam mobility Sim card from different stores like Staples, 7-11, etc  Probably cheaper than buying a new phone.  

No need to buy and activate (then waste) a SIM card when everyone you know already has a phone with an active SIM card in it. Chances are you can borrow one for a couple minutes.

You might be able to get a vendor to try this SIM-swap trick for you at no charge (at least if you buy a Payment Voucher or something). They've always got spares.

It's a trick worth trying. But I don't seriously expect it work most of the time. Far better to just get rid of bad software or to fix the problem yourself, impressive specs and price and brand and style are all meaningless if you have to keep compromising with the thing because it just won't work. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unable-to-configure-APN-settings/m-p/...

@10x10x10 wrote:

I was able to get to step 3. It doesn't have com.test.LTEFunctionality listed. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks! 

@10x10x10  Thanks for the update. Ok here is a copy and paste for a soloution that was posted by @Korth and should  could resolve your issue:

"I found the problem and the solution.

The problem is that carriers can push APN settings.  They can flag a bit which forces connected devices to accept their settings.  They can flag another bit which locks these settings (makes them "greyed out" to prevent user editing).  And newer Android versions (7.0, 8.0, 8.1, etc) comply with these lockouts by default.

This makes things easier for consumers who aren't tech savvy, everything automagically configures itself.  It also makes things harder for users who want fully unlocked devices which can work with any carrier (or who want to migrate their devices to other carriers).  And it's basically the new incarnation of old carrier-locked devices - not regulated by the CRTC - disappointing and shameful that Public Mobile follows this practice (when they could instead push APN settings alongside Telus and Koodo).

The solution is hidden in Settings > About Phone.  Click "Android Version/Build Number" seven or eight times - this will display some sort of "Easter Egg" image onscreen while also enabling USB Debugging Mode (for developers).  Then plug the phone into a PC with the USB cable.  Then open an ADB shell and type the command:

am start -a android.intent.action.INSERT content://telephony/carriers --ei simId -1

Then unplug the USB cable and restart the phone.  The carrier-pushed APNs will still be greyed out but the "Add new APN" option will be enabled so you can create a new APN with Public Mobile's settings.  Some phones may require the SIM card present while doing all this, other phones may require the SIM card removed.

It worked for me.  Hopefully it works for others."

Edit: If any of the above is not clear search on google:

• How to enable developer options on Android
  • How to enable USB Debugging mode
  • How to install ADB on your computer 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's strange that Umidigi X is having such issues with APN settings. This company uses pretty much stock android.  The APN configuration file on all their models should be pretty much identical.  I had no problems using the A5 pro on stock setup.  I am on AOSP now and it also works.    

Getting a freedom SIM card should not be that difficult now that they are a pretty popular brand.  No need to get an unused card.  Even a burned SIM card will do.  I am sure the stores have them.

@Dunkman wrote:

@10x10x10 

Most people in the past have tried the Roam mobility or Freedom mobile SIM card trick.  You can buy Roam mobility Sim card from different stores like Staples, 7-11, etc  Probably cheaper than buying a new phone.  

Methinks that's a no-brainer..... although nobody wants to toss another $10 at this sort of thing, to get a SIM you're probably not going to use, if you've tried the other suggestions, with zero results, this one seems like the next step.

To the OP, I suggest you read the link I included in the 3rd post of this thread....

@10x10x10 

@10x10x10 wrote:

Thank you for this suggestion. I tried it a few times, but it didn't work, unfortunately. Maybe I'll get the same phone as what you have. 

10x10x10

Thank you for this suggestion. I tried it a few times, but it didn't work, unfortunately. Maybe I'll get the same phone as what you have. 

10x10x10

I was able to get to step 3. It doesn't have com.test.LTEFunctionality listed. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks! 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@10x10x10  Here is another option that you can try. Let us know if it works:

APNedit.PNG

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@10x10x10 

Do a simple procedute first.  Enable data.  Restart you Umidigi X with PM SIM inserted and let PM SIM card to setup your APN automatically.

I am using Umidigi A5 Pro with PM and Fido SIM cards inserted.  I did not have to play with the APN at all.  The APNs for PM and Fido network were configured automatically without any issue.  All I did was restart my A5 Pro with both SIM cards in phone.  

My A5 Pro has Android 9 too.  Since Umidigi X is an higher end phone than my Umidigi A5 Pro, restart may work.  Give it a try.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@10x10x10  Go to a freedom kiosk ask them if you can test your phone with their network. Once they insert their sim add the APN settings.

Otherwise if your ok with ADB go to the XDA forums and search on how to enable APN editing.

Good Luck!!

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Found this other thread, about another model of Umidigi phone, with the same issue.... maybe the info there will help:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/APN-settings-on-Umidigi-A3Pro-cannot-...

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

I don't know all the particulars of what's necessary, but when checking out their site, the specs for that phone say this:

Supported network bands

4G: TDD-LTE: B38 /40 /41
FDD-LTE: B1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8 /12 /13 /17 /18 /19 /20 /26 /28A /28B /66 /71
3G: WCDMA: B1 /2 /4 /5 /6 /8
CDMA EVDO: BC0 /BC1
2G: GSM: B2 /3 /5 /8
CDMA 1X: BC0 /BC1

Having seen quite a few posts about certain bands being needed for PM, maybe someone more knowledgeable on the topic can weigh in on whether or not this phone uses the necessary ones..... 🤔 

Need Help? Let's chat.